Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 05:32 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,909,334 times

Advertisements

I'm allergic to both cats and dogs, and I have both cats and dogs. Years ago it really bothered me, with the runny, itchy nose, sneezing, headaches etc., and I started getting allergy shots for it. I got shots for several years, and now I'm not bothered by my furry pets at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 07:41 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,296,444 times
My husband is severely allergic to dogs. Two weeks ago, he had allergy tests done and dogs are at the top of his list. However, he has managed (over time) to acclimate to our own dogs and doesn't break out in their presence anymore. But, bring in another dog and he looks like a science experiment, with huge bumps all over his body.

There are a ton of meds that they can give you to prevent reactions. While my husband doesn't really use them at home, he does if we're going to someone's house with a dog. He also has asthma as a result of these allergies and carries an inhaler everywhere we go.

The allergist mentioned that some people don't react to their own dog, but will to someone else's. There is no such thing as hypoallergenic, it's the saliva not hair that causes allergies. We have English Bulldogs, and somehow my very allergic husband is able to cope with them without the use of meds. It can be done, but you'll have to build your system up to it. My husband didn't want to be on medications every day for the rest of his life, so he just tolerated it until finally one day, he no longer reacted to our own dogs.

Also, make sure you find an allergist whose first reaction won't be to tell you to either get rid of your pets or don't get any in the first place. They do exist, and with some research, you can find them. That was very important to us, since it's not even negotiable whether the dogs go or stay and the doctor focused on the treatment and not getting rid of the dogs. Good luck!

Old 08-27-2010, 08:56 AM

119 posts, read 468,037 times
My sister is allergic to dogs. She really loves dogs so she decided to get a mini schnauzer. She has had him for 6 years and as long as she keeps him groomed regularly she has no problems.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:39 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiano1988 View Post
please if you are stil interested in buying a pupp please get back to me via (cheochristian@aol.com) i have a ENGLISH BULL, MALTESE, YORKY ANND CHIHUAHUA puppy to give up for adoption free. contact if still interested
thanks
Contact a rescue to place your dogs if you care about them instead of giving them to complete strangers. You have no clue who the OP is. Or what they may do to your dogs. If you're going to bail on them, at least have the decency to make sure they're safe after you move on in your life.

Quote:
Have you read about labradoodles..check on it they were breed just for that reason
What a horrible post.

Labradoodles are mutts. There is NO WAY to ensure they are 'hypo-allergenic'. Even the OP mentioned this in her first post.

Do some research please before you go spreading terrible mis-information that leads to millions of pets dying every year. The only place you'll find anyone saying LD's are hypo-allergenic is on the websites of puppy mills and back yard breeders and on line websites put up solely to place the puppies from these situations. Spreading the crap you've posted here - encouraging people to look into them - just causes more dogs to be killed every year. Great. Thanks.

Why does no one do research anymore before taking on a living, breathing being? Good God I"m so sick of this!!! GAH!!!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:06 PM

848 posts, read 1,954,096 times
Pet allergies are due to proteins in saliva, dander, or urine. Vacuuming daily and regular brushing help a lot.

Some cat breeds produce less of the FEL D-1 protein that causes allergies and females produce less than males. I don't remember which breeds those are because I'm so allergic to cats I can't be around them anyway. They make me downright miserable.

I have dogs and no doubt there is some problem, but it's minor. I do take an antihistamine every day for other allergies so it probably helps with the dogs too. I also have two IQ air purifiers running 24/7 and the dogs are never allowed in the bedroom. Without any "assistance" I'd have trouble, but fortunately careful management has enabled me to have and enjoy dogs.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,656 times
cheochristian@aol.com. IS A FRAUD!!!

Old 10-06-2010, 11:36 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,482,147 times
You might want to consider allergy shots. My son's allergist suggested them to us saying they represent a good chance at eliminating or greatly reducing your allergies. The catch is that you have to get a weekly shot for about 7 months!

You might also want to try "fostering" a rescue dog to see how you do with your allergies. If it works out well, you might become what the rescue community calls a "foster failure"; if you can't handle the dog b/c of allergies, you simply return him/her to the rescue.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:23 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,574,770 times
I am slightly allergic to dogs, highly allergic to cats. We have 3 dogs but no cats. I control my allergies with monthly shots and otc pills.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,539 times
Default Need it!!

Really because I need that wipe I'm allergic to dogs saliva (at least we think I'm going to the allergist in June)and my allergies to their saliva is really bad but I've wanted a dog all my life and never got one because my stupid allergies

Old 04-25-2011, 06:26 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderCollieLover View Post
Really because I need that wipe I'm allergic to dogs saliva (at least we think I'm going to the allergist in June)and my allergies to their saliva is really bad but I've wanted a dog all my life and never got one because my stupid allergies
Before ruling out a dog, talk to the allergist. Some allergies even fade or go away completely over time. I was diagnosed with dog allergies more than 10 years ago, but I run a rescue out of my home and have had from 30 to 50 dogs inside the house living with me at any one time for five years. Right now we 'only' have ten dogs in the house. I have no problems that I've noticed so far, but I know plenty people do have them and take medications and I've heard of people who's allergies have gone away.

Before bringing home a dog though, please make sure you're totally ready for one. Make sure you know the basics of dog training, have looked into vet's for him/her, can financially afford a dog, are able to have one in the home you live in, and have looked into breeds to find the one that's right for you. If you've done all that, find a really good rescue and save a life. Dogs are wonderful if you're truly ready for one and can honestly say you're the type of person to make that lifetime commitment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs