Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 02:48 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,378,867 times

Advertisements

I worked my vet bill off once. Cut grass, cleaned pens, dusting....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 02:48 PM

501 posts, read 1,297,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
As much as I hate to hear this kind of thing, at least when the dog was infected, he took it to a vet.

I guess he just could have shot it or something.
Out here in my ranching community, that is exactly what happens.

In the past, when I've called one of our local vets about a dog issue, he always asks if this is a pet or a "ranch dog". There is a difference of treatment even at the vet's, by request of the ranchers, some of whom live fairly hard scrabble existences.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:32 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,054,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post

The article doesn't provide as much information as I'd like, before casting my eternal damnation upon them

But with that said .... we're all right, and fighting for the same side at least. Vets are horribly expensive, and I make peanuts for a living - but there's not one thing I wouldn't hesitate to cut out of my life if it was a matter of life or death for one of my furbabies. Because we all love our animals dearly....as it should be.
I agree. (and I wasn't disagreeing with you before, either!)

It sounds as though that man loves his 14 year old dog.

Simply not enough information for me to condemn him.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:46 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,021,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I have a friend who actually called me once and asked me if I could "snag" some suture materials so he could stitch up his dog, who had gotten into a fight...(at the time I was vet tech.)...I was horrified that he would even consider doing something like that himself! I explained that even I would not attempt such a procedure though I'd assisted in them plenty of times...thankfully I convinced him pretty quickly to take the dog to his daytime vet!
I have known small farmers to stitch up a wound on a chicken and save its life!! There is no lunacy to doing small operations on one's pet's if one has the resources and the knowledge. What do you think people with livestock did before we had vets on every block and antibiotics? The key is knowing one's limitations, not attempting MAJOR surgery, but following proper procedural sequence and all sterile practices. Even a qualified veterinarian performed procedure can sometimes get infected. Don't people IN hospitals get Mercer frequently?

Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,566,491 times
Ok. Well it didn't say he 'lanced a boil'; it did say he did surgery. So if it was along the lines of lancing a boil . . . then I might revise my statement. Anything other than that and I stick to my original opinion!

OTOH, as someone else pointed out, it didn't end up saving much money anyway.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:43 PM

511 posts, read 2,201,053 times
I wish there was more info... I feel bad for the dog and the man... Not really going to judge the man one way or the other based on that limited article though.

When I was a teenager I had an outdoor tom cat, Jack. He would sometimes come home with a cyst... even though he was neutered, he still got into quite a few catfights. I would lay him on a fresh clean towel, and use a steralized needle to lance the cyst. I would then carefully drain, clean, and dry the wound. The entire time he would lay there peacefully, sometimes purring, sometimes dozing off to sleep (obviously not in pain or distress). Within 24 hours you wouldn't be able to tell he had had a cyst and never once did he become infected or have a cyst refill. I didn't do this at home to save money at the vets, it just seemed like simple basic first aid to me. I would NEVER attempt actual surgery (minor or major) on any animal... my definition of (minor) surgery would be cutting away and removing tissue from the animal, such as removing a fatty lump, tumor, or hardened cyst.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:03 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,229,706 times
My first thought was that it never would enter my mind that someone would do this in RL in the year 2010. Explains why our new vet didn't see the humor when I kidded my son that he could have removed our pet's tumor if he had an Exacto knife and a stapler.

But my grandfather grew up in the country and he probably would do it. (If not married to my GM. )

Old 02-09-2010, 11:17 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,025,608 times
Well... That's ONE way to protest the cost of doggy healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs