Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:31 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,812,088 times

Advertisements

My blind/deaf sheltie needs a groom, but I'm afraid to leave her alone. I'm afraid she'll just walk right off the table while the groomer's back is turned and will strangle herself in the loop.

I'm guessing I wouldn't be allowed to hang around to watch (maybe for insurance reasons), but I just can't bring myself to leave her there. This would be her first groom since losing her sight, so I'm just plain afraid.

Would a mobile groomer be more apt to allow me to watch?

Thoughts? Advice? I have a good groomer, but it's more my fear than any distrust of the groomer I may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 01:34 PM

556 posts, read 2,086,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Thoughts? Advice? I have a good groomer, but it's more my fear than any distrust of the groomer I may have.
If you think your dog would do best with you present, then find a groomer, if yours won't permit it, that will let you stay with her.....I think if my dog were deaf and blind, I'd like to be with her too......good for you. And you could always request that the groomer keep her 'on the floor' to groom her - might cost a bit more - but the peace of mind of not having her up on the table might help you too....The groomer my mom uses would do whatever she was asked, if it meant the owner and the dog were comfortable.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:41 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,396 times
Ditto above.

Any groomer who would not allow you to remain present due to your dog's disabilities is one that shouldn't be considered. By anyone, for that matter.

I would think a mobile groomer would be best because it would be quieter. No hustle and bustle of a busy shop and/or other dogs barking. Plus, she'd know she was still "home."

Old 03-26-2010, 02:03 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,919,514 times
I agree with the above posters. Mobile groomers are your best bet. Our next door neighbor uses one for her unpredictable dog. It's a lot less stress for the dog and my neighbors sit and chat with the groomer while the dog is being groomed.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:09 PM

Thank you for your ideas and suggestions. I'm going to ask my groomer to stay, and if I can't, a friend has referred me to a small mom and pop shop that they use and would most likely allow me to stay.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:08 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,670,441 times
Where I live Petsmart lets you watch as they groom your dog. You might want to check with them.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:15 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,671,598 times
most of those big pet stores have windows you can watch the grooming through, but i seriously doubt they'll let you stay in the room as they groom. if that is their policy, they're less likely to be flexible about it than a small business.

wanting to stay and watch doesn't seem like an unreasonable request to me, especially with a disabled dog - i'd just ask and see. if the groomer is really good and attentive it might put your mind at ease too, and maybe next time you'll be confident enough to leave her with that particular person.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:35 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,179,531 times
I used to groom and I can tell you the one reason most groomers don't want a person to stay is that it is way more difficult to groom the dog when he or she can see the 'master' and gets all nervous and has anxiety.The owner's get nervous and it makes the dogs nervous. They can see it and sense it.

In one case I was doing two cocker spaniels that were so matted and the guy had kept them in the garage while they were redoing their hardwood floors and I actually found tools stuck in their hair. He kept pacing back and forth and constantly saying "How long is this going to take" "Is this going to be much longer" and continued to pace and rant about hurrying up I just wanted to take the dog and hand it to him and tell him to go because everytime he did it it took that much longer because he was making me anxious and it took more time to calm the dog down because the dog would start bouncing up and down to want to go to him while it was in the harness and it just made grooming the dog unsafe.

Only once did I go someplace to do someone's dog for them and she kept coming in the room over and over like a nervous nelly and every time she did it made it that much harder to calm the dog down to continue with sissors because she didn't want them shaved, but they were so matted it was difficult to do. Then she was all concerned "not to short" and "Don't do this or that" and the dog had so many matts in it so it was hard to do what she wanted. The dog would get all excited and anxious every time she came in the room and she'd get all nervous and say "don't hurt him." It was extremely frustrating and difficult. She had two dogs she wanted me to do which would have normally been easy enough, but I barely ended up having time (which took hours to do and shouldn't have) to finish the first dog and had to leave and I never did that again.

So, those are some of the reasons groomers would rather the owner not be present. It is with good reason and really to protect the dog.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:39 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,483 times
How long have you been taking her to this groomer? Do you not trust her? I have groomed a few deaf and blind dogs without problems. I usually don't like it when the owner is right there only because it distracts the dog and can make it hard to groom. Some dogs are fine with the owner there but most get overly excited which can make it more stressful for the dog, and the groomer. Because all the dog wants is to be with the owner.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
How long have you been taking her to this groomer? Do you not trust her? I have groomed a few deaf and blind dogs without problems. I usually don't like it when the owner is right there only because it distracts the dog and can make it hard to groom. Some dogs are fine with the owner there but most get overly excited which can make it more stressful for the dog, and the groomer. Because all the dog wants is to be with the owner.
I've been taking her there for 2 years. Being that my dog is blind and deaf, how would I be a distraction? Would she be able to tell I was there? She doesn't seem to know I'm in the same room with her unless I touch her or she runs into me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs