Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:39 PM

23 posts, read 128,040 times

Advertisements

Rainbow just got spayed yesterday, took her back home at 4pm.
I asked for pain med, but they do not provide, saying that she has been injected with painkiller which will last for 24 hours.
We went home, and Rainbow doesn't seem to have difficulty walking/moving. She was still drowsy then, can't seem to balance herself when she needs to poo. However, she makes pitiful noises and seem to cant rest well. She moves around trying to find a comfortable spot the whole day. I don't think she slept at all.
Its now 2am here, and her noises are more now.
Has the painkiller wearing off or she still drowsy??
She doesn't limp or anything though.
Her noises are more and more and it's so pitiful. And she looks as if she is trying to be comfortable but couldn't.
It is advisable for me to console her when she is in pain?
What can i do to help???

p/s- this post is actually a continuous from another thread, but title's not relevant anymore, i'm hoping for more advise regarding this. She is so uncomfortable that my heart breaks for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 07:12 PM

501 posts, read 1,297,074 times
I just saw this, and am hoping Rainbow is better now.

When my girl came home from her tumor removal surgery a month ago, I had picked her up around 5pm, and she cried all the way home, and all night long, she was restless and whimpered. I've had surgeries before for some of my dogs, and never had this kind of reaction. Scared me to death. And like you, it simply broke my heart to pieces to hear it My little girl is a rescue dog, and very very stoic about everything, and always such a happy girl. I didn't know she even knew how to cry like this, and for so long!

I did reach back and pet her all the way home, and noticed whenever I pet her, she stopped crying. So I kept it up as much as possible (because I wasn't getting sleep anyway). Whenever I stopped, she began to whimper, etc, again. So we just went through the night, on/off like that.

She was fine by mid morning the next day. When I mentioned it to the vet, and asked if pain was the reason (we'd been sent home with Traumadol, but it wasn't doing anything to end the whimpering that first night), he said he thought it was more likely a reaction to the anesthesic. Maybe that is why my petting reassured her, ie she was just really out of it and feeling strange/uneasy due to the anesthetic effects, because as serious as her crying was, if it had been bad pain causing that reaction I don't think just petting her would have quieted her as much as it did.

And I'd never had that happen before, didn't think it could be that common, and I've been through other more major surgeries with some of my dogs. I did find out just a bit ago the anesthestic ketamine had been recalled (I was researching something else, and happened upon it), but that some ketamine was still out in the system because of labeling issues making it tough to get the word out. I never figured it out, but she was fine the next day.

I hope Rainbow is okay now.

Last edited by sugarsugar; 04-14-2010 at 07:38 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
I just saw this, and am hoping Rainbow is better now.

When my girl came home from her tumor removal surgery a month ago, I had picked her up around 5pm, and she cried all the way home, and all night long, she was restless and whimpered. I've had surgeries before for some of my dogs, and never had this kind of reaction. Scared me to death. And like you, it simply broke my heart to pieces to hear it My little girl is a rescue dog, and very very stoic about everything, and always such a happy girl. I didn't know she even knew how to cry like this, and for so long!

I did reach back and pet her all the way home, and noticed whenever I pet her, she stopped crying. So I kept it up as much as possible (because I wasn't getting sleep anyway). Whenever I stopped, she began to whimper, etc, again. So we just went through the night, on/off like that.

She was fine by mid morning the next day. When I mentioned it to the vet, and asked if pain was the reason (we'd been sent home with Traumadol, but it wasn't doing anything to end the whimpering that first night), he said he thought it was more likely a reaction to the anesthesic. Maybe that is why my petting reassured her, ie she was just really out of it and feeling strange/uneasy due to the anesthetic effects, because as serious as her crying was, if it had been bad pain causing that reaction I don't think just petting her would have quieted her as much as it did.

And I'd never had that happen before, didn't think it could be that common, and I've been through other more major surgeries with some of my dogs. I did find out just a bit ago the anesthestic ketamine had been recalled (I was researching something else, and happened upon it), but that some ketamine was still out in the system because of labeling issues making it tough to get the word out. I never figured it out, but she was fine the next day.

I hope Rainbow is okay now.
Hi, it's 5am now, she is still whimpering. If it's the groginess, i will be a bit relieved. I'm just worried if it's the pain.
I've not been given any pain meds for her , should i be concerned?? (She has received an injection for pain which supposed to last 24 hours)
She is breathing hard (especially breathing out)

Old 04-14-2010, 09:25 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,047,429 times
what time does your vet's office open?? i would be calling them as soon as they are open .... more for your own peace of mind..... should be only a couple or 3 more hours or so.....

i suspect that she is still just feeling a little woozy and groggy from the anesthetic that was topped off with a long-lasting shot of pain medication.....

i know how weird it feels for me coming out of surgical anesthetic.... poor little doggie who doesn't understand what the heck is going on.... could be even more disturbing for her.....

but DO call the vet ASAP and tell them how she is behaving and see what their advice is.....

and please keep us posted how she is doing......

Old 04-15-2010, 04:25 AM

how is she doing now?? any better??

Old 04-15-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuwen84 View Post
Hi, it's 5am now, she is still whimpering. If it's the groginess, i will be a bit relieved. I'm just worried if it's the pain.
I've not been given any pain meds for her , should i be concerned?? (She has received an injection for pain which supposed to last 24 hours)
She is breathing hard (especially breathing out)
I agree with latetotheparty - I'd call the vet's office as soon as they open and ask them if you should bring her in.

I'd be concerned that now she is breathing hard, in addition to the whimpering, because now you have a new thing happening. Sounds like she might be in some distress, and I'd have her checked out if it was my girl. It is always better to be a bit too soon in calling with concerns, than to be a bit too late.

My girl had a bunch of different things go on in the first few days. We ended up going back to the vet 2 times in the first week or so. We even had to take a trip to the doggie ER on day 4 when her skin puffed up on her leg, and kept spreading to her upper leg, and then her back. When I touched her fur, you could feel/hear a crinkly popping noise. The e-vet told me it was subcutaneous emphysema - it can happen when air gets sucked into the incised area either during or after surgery (if the incision has a gap), and the air bubbles stay trapped under the skin, and then travel around the body. It goes away on its own in a few weeks. You usually notice it immediately after surgery if it was trapped during the procedure - since it happened days later, you'd assume that air was sucked into her incision through a gap, but neither the vet nor e-vet found anything other than a nicely healing incisions. To be on the safe side, she was given antibiotics (in case bacteria had traveled in the same way the air did).

Please update when you get ahold of your vet - fingers crossed that things will be okay for Rainbow.

Last edited by sugarsugar; 04-15-2010 at 08:12 AM..

Old 04-15-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
how is she doing now?? any better??
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
I agree with latetotheparty - I'd call the vet's office as soon as they open and ask them if you should bring her in.

I'd be concerned that now she is breathing hard, in addition to the whimpering, because now you have a new thing happening. Sounds like she might be in some distress, and I'd have her checked out if it was my girl. It is always better to be a bit too soon in calling with concerns, than to be a bit too late.

My girl had a bunch of different things go on in the first few days. We ended up going back to the vet 2 times in the first week or so. We even had to take a trip to the doggie ER on day 4 when her skin puffed up on her leg, and kept spreading to her upper leg, and then her back. When I touched her fur, you could feel/hear a crinkly popping noise. The e-vet told me it was subcutaneous emphysema - it can happen when air gets sucked into the incised area either during or after surgery (if the incision has a gap), and the air bubbles stay trapped under the skin, and then travel around the body. It goes away on its own in a few weeks. You usually notice it immediately after surgery if it was trapped during the procedure - since it happened days later, you'd assume that air was sucked into her incision through a gap, but neither the vet nor e-vet found anything other than a nicely healing incisions. To be on the safe side, she was given antibiotics (in case bacteria had traveled in the same way the air did).

Please update when you get ahold of your vet - fingers crossed that things will be okay for Rainbow.
hey guysssssssssssssssssssss
HAPPY MUMMY HERE!!
Rainbow no longer whimpers now, eat her whole bowl of food and sleeping and snoring now!
Yay!!
Thanks so much guys for answering to my questions and assure me when i need it most.

I will keep an eye on her.

*proud of my strong baby*

Old 04-15-2010, 09:44 AM

Been watching and hoping for a happy update. Eating! Snoring! Isn't the calm after the storm kind of nice? That is pretty much what my Becca did the next morning, and I hope to never see this kind of discomfort again should we ever have to do another surgery - it was not fun. It seems like in all my years of having dogs, this kind of stuff mostly happens when my regular vet isn't there to either reassure me or tell me to bring the dog in - and it makes for a very long night of worrying and trying to decide if I need to pull the e-vet visit trigger. Which I forgot to mention earlier - if you ever find yourself worried like this in the middle of the night, call your local e-vet clinic. We've found them willing to help us decide over the phone if our dog's problems are serious enough to make a midnight trip to their clinic.

Fingers and paws still crossed that she continues down the path of recovery with no more setbacks! Just keep doing what you've been doing - watching closely, ready to call the vet if anything else unusual crops up, and keep telling her what a great girl she is Give Rainbow a hug from me and Becca!

Old 04-15-2010, 11:13 AM

oh happy news.....

thanks for letting us know.....

just got in from a pretty much all-morning meeting and this was the first place i checked......

Old 04-15-2010, 11:39 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,968,251 times
Good news that she is feeling better. Never hurts to identify where the closest 24 hr. emergency bet. clinic is located and how to get there for the "middle of the night" emergencies that sometimes happen with our furbabies.

Glad all is well with your girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs