Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 08:18 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,631,081 times

Advertisements

Ever since the weather has gotten nice - Ringo goes out into the yard of an evening and will not come in until midnight or so. The other night, I finally had to go to bed and leave him outside. I woke up about 1:30 am and he finally came in.

What is up with that? He always sleeps inside with my son.

We've been walking him regularly and trying to play with him. That's another thing - he will not play with us if Lucy is around. I'll throw a toy for him and he will just let her take it out of his mouth; then he's not interested any more. He still plays with her. He will only play with us if she's not around.

I don't understand. He's faster than her; he's stronger than her . . why does he just let her grab everything out of his mouth and then quit playing?

He used to hang out in the evenings in the family room with us; we'd throw his toys, brush him, let him sit in my lap . . . .I'd still do all those things but he's not interested in us.

I can't decide if it's that something interesting is happening on the other side of the fence (I think a cat has been out there torturing a nest of birds - I can hear something being killed) OR if he doesn't like being inside because of Lucy. It's only in the evenings after dinner and our walk.

Any suggestions to get Ringo to be a part of the family again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 08:39 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,365,616 times
Sounds like he's jealous of Lucy. He's sulking and snubbing you. If he's the alpha dog, make sure you give him lots of attention when Lucy is around. Always pet him first and talk to him first.

And I would make him come inside when it's time to go to bed. YOU are the leader of the pack, not Ringo. Ringo shouldn't get to decide when he comes inside.

btw, is Lucy sleeping with your son now?

Oh, one more tip. My labrador would PURPOSELY let the beagle basset take toys away---to distract the beagle basset so the labrador could come over to get attention from us. He does it on purpose. When he wants petted and attention, he'll pick up a toy so the beagle basset will take it. And then the labrador will come over to us to get attention. Trust me. The labrador is the older, alpha dog. He can take anything away from the beagle basset if he wanted to.

Both of my dogs are jealous of each other. If we give the labrador attention, the beagle basset will come running. And the labrador will pout and shun us if we stop giving him attention for the beagle basset.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the tips. Lucy sleeps with me - which I don't think Ringo likes either. But Matt didn't want to sleep with her because she is so little; he's afraid he'll roll over on her. Sometimes I let both dogs sleep with me. I think Ringo feels he should be in my bed and not in my son's. But that is where he has always been.

Yes, he should come to bed when it's time. Problem is we have 1/2 acre fenced yard and I can't catch him to 'make' him come in.

I'm going to get him a harness today and plan to attach a long lead to it .. . if I can't catch him; I can at least catch the lead dragging behind him and lead him inside. I don't know what else to do.

When we walk, Matthew always walks Ringo because he refuses to be seen walking a yorkie with a pink leash. Sometimes, I think Ringo would like for me to walk him. I took him on a walk the other evening - just the two of us.

I think you are right that he is sulking and snubbing us.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:29 AM

Since Ringo was in the house first, Ringo needs to be treated like the alpha dog. Ringo should go out the door before Lucy. Ringo's dish should be set down before Lucy's dish. You should greet Ringo first. You should pet Ringo first.

And Ringo is definitely mad that Lucy is sleeping with you. It doesn't matter that he always slept with Matt. You and your husband are the alpha's in the house. Your son is below you. Ringo is below your son. And Lucy is below Ringo. By taking Lucy into your bed, you have told Ringo that Lucy is above him because Lucy is sleeping with a more alpha member of the household. And your walking Lucy while your son walks Ringo is also another way that Lucy has been put higher in the pecking order.

Be glad that he's like my labrador and simply sulks and snubs you. Many dogs will attack the new dog to put it in it's place. But more easy going dogs will sulk and pout and snub.

Bottom line: Ringo is NOT HAPPY with the new pecking order in the house. And he won't be happy until you change a few things.

The good news is this can be easily fixed.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:02 PM

Hmmm. I'm going to figure out how to fix this. We have tried to treat Ringo as the alpha by feeding him first; leashed first; out the door first - but I guess we are giving mixed signals by letting Lucy sleep in my bed and by me always walking Lucy.

Well, usually I'm walking both. I don't think I can convince Matt to walk Lucy so I'll try to take Ringo on some special walks with just he and I. It's not that often Matt is involved in the walks at all - only when I force him lol.

I am scared to let Lucy sleep with my teen-ager; he flops around like a drowning fish; so maybe I'll let both sleep with me for a while and see if Ringo's mood improves.

Thanks for the tips. I want Ringo to be happy too.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, usually I'm walking both. I don't think I can convince Matt to walk Lucy so I'll try to take Ringo on some special walks with just he and I. It's not that often Matt is involved in the walks at all - only when I force him lol.
We have similar problems because we don't walk the dogs together. Only one person walks at a time and it's impossible for one person to walk both dogs at once. Our solution for dog walking and taking the dog out into the yard is to walk the labrador first. Then we come back and give a treat to the labrador (we give treats every time someone enters the house!), and then take the beagle basset out. When we return with the beagle basset, we give both dogs treats again. The labrador forgets about being jealous because he's getting treats. Since we stick with this routine, the labrador is happy because he knows he goes first and he has gotten used to waiting for the beagle basset to come back after him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I am scared to let Lucy sleep with my teen-ager; he flops around like a drowning fish; so maybe I'll let both sleep with me for a while and see if Ringo's mood improves.
We had a similar problem with this too. Our labrador dog never slept with our children. He slept with us. We had no room for BOTH dogs in our bed after we got the beagle basset. We bought dog beds for the floor and I use old blankets. I would put them to bed in their dog beds and cover them up with their blankets---tucking them in. It takes a while to train them to sleep on the floor, but they do eventually do it. This may sound like a crazy expense, but a king size bed that fits both dogs and you and your husband will definitely work! Whatever you do, don't have Ringo on the floor and Lacy in the bed.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:33 AM

13,940 posts, read 39,461,128 times
It could also be Ringo wants to be outside cause the weathers warmer! ALL my dogs are like that except in extreme cold.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:22 AM

5,104 posts, read 12,629,762 times
[quote=Hopes;13882213]Since Ringo was in the house first, Ringo needs to be treated like the alpha dog. Ringo should go out the door before Lucy. Ringo's dish should be set down before Lucy's dish. You should greet Ringo first. You should pet Ringo first.

I have to disagree with this as I feel this is where alot of people make the mistake that can lead to alot of issues between dogs. Just because a dog is the first in the house does not make it the alpha dog as much as we often feel that is what we want. Dogs need to be allowed to work out between them which dog is the alpha and then the humans involved need to learn to support that.Just like people some dogs are born to be leaders and others followers and to treat a non alpha dog as alpha when all dogs involved know that is not the case will only lead to issues.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I have to disagree with this as I feel this is where alot of people make the mistake that can lead to alot of issues between dogs. Just because a dog is the first in the house does not make it the alpha dog as much as we often feel that is what we want. Dogs need to be allowed to work out between them which dog is the alpha and then the humans involved need to learn to support that.Just like people some dogs are born to be leaders and others followers and to treat a non alpha dog as alpha when all dogs involved know that is not the case will only lead to issues.
My advice is specific to the OP's household. I know Ringo is definitely the alpha dog based on previous discussions.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:07 AM

Yep, Hopes is right. Ringo is definitely the alpha dog.

He was forced to stay inside last night due to the rain; but he still snubbed us by wanting in his crate and staying there.

I gave him lots of attention and let him sleep in my bed last night . . . so hoping for better evenings ahead.

Thanks for your help! I'll keep you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs