Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:55 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
So, what? Because it was due to an employee error, that means that they shouldn't be responsible? Did you not read the part where they offered the owners $200 for their [lost] dog? Do you not know what forum you're posting on?!
Oh, I'm sorry. didn't know only ONE OPINION on this was mandated, and any other comment was prohibited. I mistakenly thought facts was also welcome. Facts like $200 IS NOT ALL delta offered them, just the initial immediate compensation every airline does right away. I guess it does not matter that Delta said they were preparing additional compensation because that would deflate the shock factor over simply saying they only offered $200.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 09:56 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Oh, I'm sorry. didn't know only ONE OPINION on this was mandated, and any other comment was prohibited. I mistakenly thought facts was also welcome. Facts like $200 IS NOT ALL delta offered them, just the initial immediate compensation every airline does right away. I guess it does not matter that Delta said they were preparing additional compensation because that would deflate the shock factor over simply saying they only offered $200.
So just curious, but would $200 suffice if they lost your dog? I know it wouldn't suffice for me. Nothing they offered me would make up for losing my dog. My dogs are like my kids, they are more than just pets to me, and I would be heartbroken and raising hell if an airline LOST my dog!

Old 05-07-2010, 10:03 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
No amount of money could make up for their negligence. My dog doesn't have a price tag. You pay them to ensure that they get your dog from point A to B safely. You can offer me $100,000 and that still wouldn't come even close to how much my dog is worth in my eyes. He's priceless and his companionship is worth more than any settlement Delta can offer.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:18 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
The first thing an airline will do is compensate the shipping on the spot. After their investigation they will compensate based on their negligence and good will. The airlines can only compensate and put in place procedures to prevent another incident, they can't snap their fingers and the dog magically reappears. Delta has offered in excess of the $200 everyone is harping on, yet everyone is focusing on the initial compensation not what Delta is offering. If people are upset because they think Delta is only offering $200, well that is not the truth because Delta has offered more! But that has little to do with only wanting a single opinion on this board.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:21 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The first thing an airline will do is compensate the shipping on the spot. After their investigation they will compensate based on their negligence and good will. The airlines can only compensate and put in place procedures to prevent another incident, they can't snap their fingers and the dog magically reappears. Delta has offered in excess of the $200 everyone is harping on, yet everyone is focusing on the initial compensation not what Delta is offering. If people are upset because they think Delta is only offering $200, well that is not the truth because Delta has offered more! But that has little to do with only wanting a single opinion on this board.
You're probably going to get the same opinion from a lot of people on here because they all feel that their dogs are more than just pets to them.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:59 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,564 times
It's not about the money. It's about the lost dog. Of course they will compensate as they should and will. But it won't get the family back their dog.

When I moved with my parents to Florida many many years ago, they drove and I flew down later with our dog Barney. I'll never forget when we landed and exited the plane-in those days on the tarmac-I could hear Barney as they were unloading him. I can't imagine the heartbreak I or my parents would have felt if he was for some reason not there.

And we are all pretty sensitve about our pets on here. It's like a cult.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:19 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
anybody know of any way we can keep up with the rest of the story as it unfolds??

Old 05-08-2010, 06:15 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
This is terrible!!! I hope the missing pup is found safe and sound. I like that Southwest now allows pets to fly in the cabin with their owners. They charge $75 and allow up to 2 pets in each carrier of appropriate size (2 dogs or 2 cats per carrier, no "mix and match"). Here are some of their rules:

"Southwest Airlines allows only one pet carrier per ticketed Customer.
The carrier may contain two (2) cats or dogs and must be of the same species per carrier.
The cat or dog must be completely inside the pet carrier and be able to stand up and move around the carrier with ease.
Pets must be secured in the pet carrier at all times while in the gate area, during boarding/deplaning and they must remain in the carrier for the entire duration of the flight. Failure to follow this requirement may result in denial of transportation of the pet onboard Southwest Airlines."

Old 05-08-2010, 08:31 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,451,759 times
Does the carrier have to fit under the seat? That means only little dogs can go. Mine wouldn't be able to stand up and move about the carrier if that's the case.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:09 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
I've flown dogs all over, including to the Caribbean. I prefer to drive them but sometimes there is no option but to fly. Like everyone else here, I feel for the guy that lost his dog. However, dogs can slip collars or there can be dishonest employees that take what they want. Airlines try very hard to handle animals carefully and as a whole, the major airlines (including Delta) handle animal transport very well. When I fly with one of my dogs, I also always watch while the baggage is being loaded to make sure my dog is there too before I set foot on the plane. I've pitched a fit only once when I heard the final boarding announcement and I hadn't seen my dog loaded yet. My concern was taken seriously and I was assured ( and it was the case) that animals are the last thing loaded onto the plane and the first to be taken off at the destination and that my dog already out there and would be loaded with a minute or two. Yes, I watched the kennel go on then I boarded the plane.

As to the dollar value, I know to me, my dogs are priceless, as in... there is not enough money in the world for me to exchange them for cash. For all the outrage that has been voiced here, how do you place a dollar value on something that you love? Would you trade your pet for $1,000? or $1,000,000? No matter what they offered it would never be enough. Mistakes do happen and as with this story they get all the press. Nothing is ever said about the other 99.9% of animals transported that reach their destination with no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs