Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 06:04 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,299,377 times

Advertisements

My Bulldog will growl and bark when someone knocks on the door. However, the second the door is opened, he wags his entire body and wants to be pet. Crazy boy, at least his bark sounds vicious and intimidating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 06:20 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,230,522 times
I'd can and would rather protect myself than (1) see a undeserving human maimed or (2) be sued. Having had a protective dog I don't ever want another.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:21 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
the american paradox, i want my dog to evaluate the litigation risks b4 he attacks a stranger who is acting aggressively towards me and my home.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:22 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,432,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Dazzle is another story if some one broke into my house or forcefully entered when I opened the door he would greet them, probably go get a beer and snack for them too. He thinks everyone and everything is good natured and nice like he is. When Jazz barks at someone he looks so puzzled.."why is she barking at that nice man with the gun in his hand? Maybe he wants to play with us so why is she trying to get him to leave?" Clueless and he is not even a blonde!
Yup, that's how mine are .

I guess I should have used more emoticons in my first post. It was meant to be a bit sarcastic. I'm not complaining at all about how my dogs react. It makes me happy that they are so comfortable, because that was not always the case. In fact, I'm very proud of how far they have come. Naala, especially, was a complete headcase when I found her. She had a hellish start to life and was so scared and anxious for the first year after I adopted her that she would make herself sick. She barked non-stop and panicked if a stranger even looked at her. A lot of work has gone into making sure these dogs know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they have a permanent, safe and happy home with no hitting and yelling and lots of love, belly rubs and laughing. The fact that Naala is so relaxed and comfortable that she doesn't even give strangers a second thought is an absolute triumph.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:24 PM

1,439 posts, read 2,922,322 times
Your dogs sound like such sweeties.

My Sheba is a great watch dog. She isn't a guard dog, since she's so small, but she has some sweet barks that sound like they are coming out of a bulldog instead of a minpin. I've encouraged her watch dog behavior and she is trained in signals for standing watch (quietly and barking), and standing down when the all clear signal is given.

Btw, I never open doors to strangers. If I don't know you, or you don't have an appointment...you aren't getting in, lol.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:32 PM

5,016 posts, read 10,709,352 times
So, you would prefer that they be aggressive and menacing so that the people who come to your door--the ones you (essentially) describe as criminals--can call the cops b/c your dog "attacked" them?

I have a GSD. She is a sweetheart. She could be a killer but I have *explicitly* trained her not to be. Why? Because the very people who she might protect me from are the very people who are going to lie and say that she attacked them out of no where in a court of law. And, unfortunately, our justice system has a habit of believing criminals over dogs. So, my advice is to count your blessings. Having aggressive dogs--of any kind--will only get you sued and them euth'd.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:37 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,432,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
So, you would prefer that they be aggressive and menacing so that the people who come to your door--the ones you (essentially) describe as criminals--can call the cops b/c your dog "attacked" them?

I have a GSD. She is a sweetheart. She could be a killer but I have *explicitly* trained her not to be. Why? Because the very people who she might protect me from are the very people who are going to lie and say that she attacked them out of no where in a court of law. And, unfortunately, our justice system has a habit of believing criminals over dogs. So, my advice is to count your blessings. Having aggressive dogs--of any kind--will only get you sued and them euth'd.
Okay, please relax and read my follow-up post above before jumping to conclusions.

Here, I'll re-post it for you:
I guess I should have used more emoticons in my first post. It was meant to be a bit sarcastic. I'm not complaining at all about how my dogs react. It makes me happy that they are so comfortable, because that was not always the case. In fact, I'm very proud of how far they have come. Naala, especially, was a complete headcase when I found her. She had a hellish start to life and was so scared and anxious for the first year after I adopted her that she would make herself sick. She barked non-stop and panicked if a stranger even looked at her. A lot of work has gone into making sure these dogs know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they have a permanent, safe and happy home with no hitting and yelling and lots of love, belly rubs and laughing. The fact that Naala is so relaxed and comfortable that she doesn't even give strangers a second thought is an absolute triumph.

I should say humorous, rather than sarcastic. I saw the humor in it. Obviously, you did not. Using words like,"geez" and adding this thing: clearly did not get across what I was hoping.

Last edited by tdna; 05-07-2010 at 07:00 PM..

Old 05-07-2010, 06:45 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,058,104 times
My dog usually runs to the door with me when someone knocks. But I always think that if something did happen (knock on wood), he would probably run the other way. He's such a chicken you-know-what.
I think even if a person sees a silent dog, they still wouldn't know what that dog is thinking, if it's friendly. I think just the presence of a dog is sometimes good enough to keep people at bay.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:30 AM

5,016 posts, read 10,709,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
Okay, please relax and read my follow-up post above before jumping to conclusions.

Here, I'll re-post it for you:

I should say humorous, rather than sarcastic. I saw the humor in it. Obviously, you did not. Using words like,"geez" and adding this thing: clearly did not get across what I was hoping.
You're right, and I apologize. Your first post was meant to be humorous (and it was).

I think that I responded that way b/c it just happens to be a hot-button issue for me. I have a GSD who is very big and most people are afraid of her when they first see her. And I've had to work very hard where I live to convince people of her gentle nature and thereby ensure her safety. So, for some of us, it is a larger issue than you would expect. In fact, any time someone comments about her being "great security," I immediately correct them. I don't want anyone thinking that she is anything but gentle b/c I have encountered a lot of people--either ignorant or malicious--who would use any opportunity to demonize her and have her labeled as "vicious and dangerous." Where I live, dogs like that end up euth'd.

I think the fact that your dogs don't react is more a testament to their happiness But yes, I can imagine the situation and why it is a funny one: two thugs knock on your door and instead of being on alert, your pups roll over (probably on their backs, exposing their bellies) and are as helpful re: security as field mice. It really does destroy every image one has of our dogs as "the powerful defenders"

Old 05-08-2010, 09:29 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,047,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
my dog barks like crazy at the door; i encourage it, although i've taught her to stop when i say so.

if someone really got in she'd definitely be all waggy-friendly though, although i have a feeling she would freak out if someone attacked me. i'm ok with her being friendly to intruders too, cause i'd rather have that than have her attacking people who aren't intruders or attacking an intruder and getting killed by them. she's an alarm system and that's enough.
yep ..... so does bailey.... i REALLY need to do the teaching to stop thing.... NOTHING or NO ONE outside the house gets by her......

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdna View Post
Yup, that's how mine are .

yaaayyy for naala .... and good for you.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs