Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 09:04 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times

Advertisements

I want to start a thread dedicated to the schnauzer owners out there!

Any funny stories, sad stories, happy stories, etc.!

I'll start with my fur kid Edison (named after Thomas Edison) who just turned 1 on May 15th! He is about 20 lbs and is black with white/grey.

We got him from someone wanting to rehome their 4 month old schnauzer on craigslist. The owner (a mom with 3 kids under 5 years of age) had 2 more schnauzers in the house that were older and it was becoming more and more difficult for her to keep Kongo (Edison's name at the time). We liked him immediately, gave him a scan to see if he was healthy and off we went home with him.

Some of the highlights of Edison include:
- Knows to speak, sit, shake hands, high five, stand, lay down and roll over
- Does not like kids at all (does a low growl as if its a humanlike mumble under his breath)
- Goes to doggie daycare (my parents house) while the hubby and I work.
- Love to be chased while having a rope on ball

Never had so much love for a dog as I do for Edison.

Last edited by skeet09; 05-21-2010 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 05:03 AM

106 posts, read 440,228 times
I have 3! They are the most "talking" dogs ever. Eddie is always telling me what to do, or more likely, what I'm doing wrong in his eyes! With all the dogs in and out of the house all day toys never last too long here. When Eddie was younger we went to Petsmart and he got a green stuffed puppy. He carried that thing everywhere. It became the most disgusting looking toy ever. Finally one of the others got a hold of it and destroyed it. Eddie looked so sad--as only Schnauzers can do. About a year later, I found an exact replica of the toy (again at Petsmart). When I brought it home, Eddie's look of surprise and complete joy at seeing "his lost friend" was priceless (I think the love for it may supersede his love of food). It now stays on the counter unless it's just us in the house and we put his green pup up when we're done playing. So now when he comes in he runs to the counter and begs.

Schnauzer owners!-eddie33.jpg

Last edited by dogmomof11; 05-22-2010 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: because I found this picture of him...

Old 05-22-2010, 05:31 AM

Thanks for posting dogmomfo11! Eddie is a cutie, I love his color! They have a way of talking and they've got a personality like no other. I totally agree with your toy situation, Edison has done the same thing.
I'd love to hear about your other 2!

Old 05-22-2010, 10:47 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
I am not a schnauzer owner, but a Maltese owner

However I love schnauzers, may I post here?!

I think they are very "talkative". I used to take my Maltese for walks all the time around my former home, and I had a neighbor who had 2 adorable schnauzers who were always sitting on her front yard. I was under the impression they were very sensitive and smart. Not to mention they were ridiculously cute.
They loved to see people/dogs walking by, and always cried for attention whenever I was passing by. They cried so much all the other dogs barked along and there was a huge "canine symphony".

I used to tell my Maltese we were going out for walks just to "visit" them.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
However I love schnauzers, may I post here?!
You betcha!
I like your description of a canine symphony! Rooo, rrrooo, roooo. lol
Before we got our schnauzer, I always thought they were mean looking with their eyebrows. Once I researched them, I saw a lot of positive traits in them.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:46 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
Oh, no!!! That is their most beautiful characteristic, those furry faces melt my heart instantly!!

Allow me to suggest your next one's name: Nikola (Tesla).
He was cooler than Edison (the scientist), but somehow did not get as famous... and the names would certainly be a conversation starter!

For some reason I always thought they (schnauzers) were very smart and quick-thinking. Are they easy to train?

Are there many colors for schnauzers?! My neighbors were "salt and pepper", but sometimes I see schnauzers that are darker or lighter. Is this just a variation or they actually have several colors?

Old 05-22-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Oh, no!!! That is their most beautiful characteristic, those furry faces melt my heart instantly!!

Allow me to suggest your next one's name: Nikola (Tesla).
He was cooler than Edison (the scientist), but somehow did not get as famous... and the names would certainly be a conversation starter!

For some reason I always thought they (schnauzers) were very smart and quick-thinking. Are they easy to train?

Are there many colors for schnauzers?! My neighbors were "salt and pepper", but sometimes I see schnauzers that are darker or lighter. Is this just a variation or they actually have several colors?
That's a good name for the next pup! We were trying to think of other smart names but were stumped!
Easy to train indeed! Potty training was done in a matter of 3 days, he figured it out uber quick.
I have seen all white, all black, black/gray, white/gray and liver. Some are not breed standard according to AKC and all those other clubs but they are still cute!
Before I had Edison, all the schnuazers I met had some serious eyebrows which intimidated me a bit. Now I've research them and seen all the different kinds, I'm such a fan. I have a Schnuazer rule the road sticker on my car that makes people smile! Pet Tatz Travel & Auto Pet - Blair

Old 03-31-2011, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 11,346 times
We have a 5 month old schnauzer named Winston, not after Churchill. He simply looked like a winston!

Old 09-04-2011, 06:16 PM

31 posts, read 74,429 times
I have a mini schnauzer named Freddy! He is such a sweetheart! I am so happy I found him!!

Old 09-05-2011, 06:04 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
I have a grandpuppy schnauzer mix called Parker. He is so smart and rules the house. For the most part he takes his job very seriously of taking care of the family, and playing ball with whom ever happens to come by. He is a joy and I love it when I get the phone call to come and "Parker sit" when the family goes out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs