Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:09 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times

Advertisements

Tried to rep you Blondie, but it's too soon. I wish everyone felt like you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 01:58 PM

28,947 posts, read 30,301,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Also keep in mind when you've got older dogs from unknown backgrounds it's VERY difficult for even a vet to determine age. I've had my vet tell me a dog is 8 to 10 years old just to adopt them out and the adopter's vet says it's over 12 years old. Well, not knowing the background you can't really accurately determine that. If a female dog has been bred constantly over and over in a puppy mill or BYB situation, it saps her body of a lot of the calcium she has and that can take a massive toll on her teeth, which is a big part of what a vet uses to determine age. So while she may only be 7, she could have teeth like a 12 year old dog. In a situation like that, any vet's guess is just that - strictly a guess on the age.
I believe your right, because my vet didn't know, the only way he could tell that my dog was older, was the fact, that he is now starting to get that haze over his eyes, he said, it's not cateracts, but something older dogs get????? Do you know anything about that?

Old 04-16-2011, 04:55 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Tried to rep you Blondie, but it's too soon. I wish everyone felt like you!
I tried to rep you back and said the same thing!
Thanx subject2change!

Old 04-16-2011, 07:23 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,203,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I believe your right, because my vet didn't know, the only way he could tell that my dog was older, was the fact, that he is now starting to get that haze over his eyes, he said, it's not cateracts, but something older dogs get????? Do you know anything about that?
Here is how age is determined by a vet with respect to teeth:

Film over the eye. An opaque or whitish membrane that moves out over the surface of the eyeball from the inner corner of the eye is a protruded nictitating membrane. Causes are discussed under Nictitating Membrane.

Here are all the eye symptoms

With respect to the eyes film over the eye. An opaque or whitish membrane that moves out over the surface of the eyeball from the inner corner of the eye is a protruded nictitating membrane. Causes are discussed under Nictitating Membrane.

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/health/eyes.htm

Other Physical Aspects and Behavior
  • Look at the dog's snout. If she is developing white hair around her nose and whiskers, this dog probably is 7-years old or older.
  • Examine your dog's eyes and feel his coat and skin. If the eyes are opaque and his skin is somewhat greasy to the touch, he may be an older dog.
  • =Evaluate the dog's behavior. Signs of old age may include avoiding going up stairs, stretching more often and a low level of interest in playing.
Read more: How to Determine a Dog's Age | eHow.com How to Determine a Dog's Age | eHow.com

Old 04-16-2011, 07:46 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post

Film over the eye. An opaque or whitish membrane that moves out over the surface of the eyeball from the inner corner of the eye is a protruded nictitating membrane. Causes are discussed under Nictitating Membrane.

With respect to the eyes film over the eye. An opaque or whitish membrane that moves out over the surface of the eyeball from the inner corner of the eye is a protruded nictitating membrane. Causes are discussed under Nictitating Membrane.

• Look at the dog's snout. If she is developing white hair around her nose and whiskers, this dog probably is 7-years old or older.
  • Examine your dog's eyes and feel his coat and skin. If the eyes are opaque and his skin is somewhat greasy to the touch, he may be an older dog.
  • =Evaluate the dog's behavior. Signs of old age may include avoiding going up stairs, stretching more often and a low level of interest in playing.
Read more: How to Determine a Dog's Age | eHow.com How to Determine a Dog's Age | eHow.com
LOL - If I followed this guideline, my 13 year old dog would be considered as under 7 years old.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:23 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,203,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
LOL - If I followed this guideline, my 13 year old dog would be considered as under 7 years old.
Well, they all say it's still just a guess and there are mitigating factors such as older dogs who have better teeth than most. My cocker spaniel acted and looked like a puppy at the age of 13 - exactly the same way she did when I got her as a puppy - she had a long lasting puppy face and energy. She is sixteen now and her teeth are great and you would never be able to go off of that alone to determine her age. She is getting the opaque eyes now and is losing her balance and muscle control in her hind quarters. But nothing like this happened until she turned 16.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:24 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I agree! Ginger, my 15 year old is just starting to get that film over her eyes so very slightly. She runs around with her stuffies just like my two 7 year olds! She even plays tug of war with them! She still has so much puppy in her. At the vet they thought she was around 9 or 10!

Old 04-17-2011, 05:51 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
You can make an educated guess with this stuff, but it is just guesswork. I had a dog whose muzzle went gray at age 5. I told him it made him look very distinguished!

Old 04-17-2011, 07:13 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times
I agree, the bottom line is that all you can do is take an educated guess. Makes sense to me. With most people you couldn't tell their age by inspecting their eyes, teeth and skin. Its all genetics and lifestyle - no matter what species you are!

Old 04-18-2011, 05:15 AM

28,947 posts, read 30,301,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post

Thank you for taking the time to post this, I will definately research and apprecaite your kindness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs