Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:50 AM

28,937 posts, read 30,291,282 times

Advertisements

OK, this has happened the 3rd time to me, and to people I know and now I'm going to complain....

You decide to rescue a dog...which is a good thing...you search on Petfinder and fall in love with the dog's picture...or you visit the rescue and you fall in love with the dog...

The dogs age is placed in the add, along with a validation, that the dog has all it's shots, is fixed, etc. They ask you to pay, between 250.00 and 350.00 for the rescue dog.

Well, they misrepresent the dogs age...mine they said was 6 years old, only to find out from the vet, that the dog is actually 10 years old...wow, what a shock...and to tell you the truth, I would have taken him anyway, b/c I fell in love with him. Then I find out, he is due for all his shots...?????

My friend adopts a dog, they tell her, the dog is between 1 1/2 years old, and 2 years old. They just spade the dog, 3 days before they sent the dog home, said she has all her shots, and sends her home with KENNEL COUGH? She takes the dog to the vet, the dog is 6 years old??????
First off, they had no business sending the dog home sick, and just having been spade...what is wrong with they, and they CLAIM to be caring and protective of animals? I believe these rescue and fosters for dogs need to be checked out, they are making money on these dogs, misrepresenting they're ages to find them homes and sending dogs home with people that are sick and shouldn't be going home...?????? They said they needed the room?????

Has anyone else had any of these experiences?

Sorry for the rant, but this to me, is very irresponsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 06:57 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,684,789 times
That sucks. I feel for you. In my opinion if you are going to be adopting a dog you should do a bit of research. For instance I learned how to tell a dogs age by looking at the teeth. I mean im not a pro or anything but I feel reasonably confident that I can tell a dogs age within a couple of years by looking at the teeth.

I guess Im ahead of the game a bit though since im already in the health field and my girflriend is a dental hygenist.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
That sucks. I feel for you. In my opinion if you are going to be adopting a dog you should do a bit of research. For instance I learned how to tell a dogs age by looking at the teeth. I mean im not a pro or anything but I feel reasonably confident that I can tell a dogs age within a couple of years by looking at the teeth.

I guess Im ahead of the game a bit though since im already in the health field and my girflriend is a dental hygenist.
Well, that is a great idea, however, you shouldn't have to rely on looking at the teeth, plus, two of my friends who adopted dogs are in they're late 60's...and you simply trust that these rescues are doing the right thing and being honest...they are not...they first misrepresent the dogs age, b/c they fear people are not going to adopt an older dog...well, that is so unfair...I fell in love with my dogs picture, so his age would not have changed my mind...and he's got a forever home...however, these rescues and animal shelters need to be checked out...you DON'T send a sick dog home to a new foster home...to spread kennel cough to all other dogs in the neighborhood...HOW DARE THEY CLAIM THAT THEY CARE ABOUT DOGS????????? HOW DARE THAT DO THAT WHEN THE SPCA CLAIMS TO GO AFTER PEOPLE WHO ARE HARMING DOGS...THIS IS JUST AS HARMFUL...TO THE OWNER, THE OWNER'S NEIGHBORS, ETC....

and then, some of these rescues want to be so upity and snobish and say, well, you can't have this dog, unless you have a fenced in yard...well, my dog gets walked 6 times a day, he plays and runs all over in the house...so, not all small dogs need a fenced in yard for them to run, it's common sense....small dogs get a lot of exercise running around the house...and mine sure does, not to mention the many walks every day he gets...we do not go on long walks, however, he gets 6 walks a day that average 10 - 20 minutes, depending on how hot or cold it is....

I'm just furious they did this to my neighbor...she wanted a dog that was younger, and they told her she was 1 1/2 years old...and then, they send the dog home with KENNEL COUGH??????? HOW DARE THEY!!!!!!!

SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE ABOUT THIS...REALLY, THIS IS SO WRONG!!!!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:47 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,820,456 times
You don't actually expect the rescue to guarantee a dog's age, do you? Are you kidding? the best they can do is guess or get a vet's opinion, both based largely on the condition of the teeth.

And kennel cough doesn't show up the minute a dog is exposed. I don't know how long it takes, but it isn't instantaneous.

I have a 7 yr old dachsund my vet swears is 5, based on her teeth. I've had her 6 years. They're in excellent condition.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
You don't actually expect the rescue to guarantee a dog's age, do you? Are you kidding? the best they can do is guess or get a vet's opinion, both based largely on the condition of the teeth.

And kennel cough doesn't show up the minute a dog is exposed. I don't know how long it takes, but it isn't instantaneous.

I have a 7 yr old dachsund my vet swears is 5, based on her teeth. I've had her 6 years. They're in excellent condition.
yes, I do, expect them to guarantee a dogs age, when they say the dog is 1 1/2 years old, then to find out from a vet, that she is 6 years old? That is not a ball park figure....that is out and out lying...and the dog HAD Kennel Cough before they sent the dog home, they gave her meds for it....that dog should have never been left go home...
I was told my dog was 6, only to get him home and find out that he is 10...????? And by the way, my dog's teeth were professionally cleaned...so they knew...they knew, and so did these other cases....

They have vets check these dogs out...or they are supposed to....and I know another person who rescued a dog whose age was greatly misrepresented...she said to me, I would have taken the dog anyway, however, don't lie to me....they have a very good idea of an approximate age of the dogs...not right on the money, but approximately. They misrepresent the dogs age, so that they can unload them on.

And to boot, to know the dog has kennel cough and to send it home with a new home is so wrong....what if, the owner were not as loving as my friend, and would take the dog back b/c of they misrepresented the dogs age...that's another adjustment the dog has to go thru?????? How unfair...

Last edited by cremebrulee; 06-03-2010 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-03-2010, 08:28 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,056,834 times
I adopted one of my girls from a shelter. When I went there to meet her she was fine. We adopted her the next day and took her home that day. Within a couple of days she showed symptoms of kennel cough. I took her to my own vet, but the shelter offered to give me the meds. Usually when I adopt they are pretty good with the age. As for health issues, I don't expect the shelter to know unless it's happening at that time.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:37 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
My only complaints about our adoption experience (from a refuge that does fostering in homes, not a traditional shelter with a dedicated site) wasn't incomplete/erroneous information regarding age or health condition, it was incomplete/erroneous information regarding behavioral issues and training. We got a dog that was billed as crate trained that wasn't, was billed as leash trained that wasn't, and fairly extreme separation anxiety issues were selectively omitted as "things we might want to know."

I know that rescues, refuges, and shelters wanna get dogs adopted out, believe me, I know. But when will people learn that either passive or outright dishonesty doesn't help the animal (or their organization's rep, and therefore, the welfare of other animals in their care)? Another couple might have returned Willie after becoming aware of the issues that were both outright and passively concealed (and DID, in two cases before we finally adopted him, gee, wonder why? The foster led us to believe that it was a problem with the people in both cases, but I have my doubts), he wouldn't work in every household. This sort of potential upheaval could be prevented by being more straightforward with prospective adopters. You want a good home for the dogs you're placing, not people who end up feeling they've been sold a bill of goods, and/or end up not being able to keep an animal.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:51 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,127,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Then I find out, he is due for all his shots...?????
The shots situation is truly bothersome. I haven't had the pleasure of adopting a shelter dog or from a rescue group but that's not right!
Lots of vets will vary on the age of the dog from physical exam, teeth exam, etc. but usually by a year or two off, not by a couple of years.
Does the ad say he has his shots, then you showed up and he doesn't? I would print out the ad from the webpage. I think I'm going to do this myself when I look for a dog, just in case I show up and something else is said.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:36 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Thankfully, all up-to-date shots, three months' worth of heartworm meds, and a collar, leash, and bowl were all included in the $150 adoption fees.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:02 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,038,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, I do, expect them to guarantee a dogs age, when they say the dog is 1 1/2 years old, then to find out from a vet, that she is 6 years old? That is not a ball park figure....that is out and out lying...and the dog HAD Kennel Cough before they sent the dog home, they gave her meds for it....that dog should have never been left go home...
I was told my dog was 6, only to get him home and find out that he is 10...????? And by the way, my dog's teeth were professionally cleaned...so they knew...they knew, and so did these other cases....

They have vets check these dogs out...or they are supposed to....and I know another person who rescued a dog whose age was greatly misrepresented...she said to me, I would have taken the dog anyway, however, don't lie to me....they have a very good idea of an approximate age of the dogs...not right on the money, but approximately. They misrepresent the dogs age, so that they can unload them on.

And to boot, to know the dog has kennel cough and to send it home with a new home is so wrong....what if, the owner were not as loving as my friend, and would take the dog back b/c of they misrepresented the dogs age...that's another adjustment the dog has to go thru?????? How unfair...
so if the dog had kennel cough when sent home and the adopters took meds from the rescue for the kennel cough, they KNEW the dog was ill when they brought him home..... they could have left him with the rescue for a few more days while he was treated for the kennel cough......

and how did you find out that your dog actually needed its shots and hadn't had them while in rescue??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My only complaints about our adoption experience (from a refuge that does fostering in homes, not a traditional shelter with a dedicated site) wasn't incomplete/erroneous information regarding age or health condition, it was incomplete/erroneous information regarding behavioral issues and training. We got a dog that was billed as crate trained that wasn't, was billed as leash trained that wasn't, and fairly extreme separation anxiety issues were selectively omitted as "things we might want to know."

I know that rescues, refuges, and shelters wanna get dogs adopted out, believe me, I know. But when will people learn that either passive or outright dishonesty doesn't help the animal (or their organization's rep, and therefore, the welfare of other animals in their care)? Another couple might have returned Willie after becoming aware of the issues that were both outright and passively concealed (and DID, in two cases before we finally adopted him, gee, wonder why? The foster led us to believe that it was a problem with the people in both cases, but I have my doubts), he wouldn't work in every household. This sort of potential upheaval could be prevented by being more straightforward with prospective adopters. You want a good home for the dogs you're placing, not people who end up feeling they've been sold a bill of goods, and/or end up not being able to keep an animal.

just like anything else in life, there are good rescues and not-so-good rescues..... i fostered a fella for a couple of months last summer for a rescue here in st. louis.... they were REALLY hoping that i would adopt him, but i knew within a week or so that he was NOT going to be a good fit for our household.... they withheld what I considered VERY important information about this dog's attitude and behavior.... which was the reason he was returned to the rescue in the 1st place.... after having lived in a home for nearly a year and having graduated with honors from 2 or 3 levels of obedience training.....

he was adopted while being fostered in my house and then returned AGAIN.... they told me for some other reason, but i don't know about that.... and FINALLY found his perfect forever home about a month after that..... i happened to go into petco when that couple was meeting him and talking to the rescue about him during that day's adoption event. i stopped and chatted with them awhile.... told them what a GREAT dog he had the potential to be.... but was also very honest about the issues that i had had with him..... i thought the rescue lady was going to bore holes through me with her stare..... but i, for one, believe that a potential adopter should know as much as possible about the dog.... the good, the bad and the non-issues.... so, this couple went into the adoption with eyes wide open and well prepared..... and he has finally found a successful forever home......

i am sorry you are disappointed with the rescues you and your friends have had dealings with..... but please don't let that sour you on all of them..... there are a LOT of great, hardworking rescues out there who want their dogs to be successfully placed.... and withholding or concealing information about the dog is NOT the way to do it.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs