Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:06 AM

28,946 posts, read 30,301,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVerneHavelka View Post
Just a few days ago I adopted a dog - the vet summary sheet that came with the adoption papers listed the dog's age as 2 years, 3 months. Yesterday, my vet examined the dog and told me he was 6 or 7 years old, based on his exam of the pupils of his eyes and teeth (vet said teeth had been recently scraped and there was a broken molar).

The dog is very sweet and I am keeping him but I am annoyed with this vast discrepancy between the dog's estimated age on the rescue's vet summary sheet and my vet's evaluation of the dog's age.

I had requested a young dog and got a senior dog which will put an entirely different perspective on my plans for his health care, training and sports events that I like to do with dogs.

This kind of misrepresentation is not fair to the animal, the adopter of the animal and sheds a dishonesty shadow on the rescue group.
Yes, I love my dog, nothing could seperate us...however, his eyes showed, that he is developing caterachs, (spelling?) and I didn't see that when I went to look at him, I fell in love with his pic....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,782 times
Default Dog's age misrepresented -

My vet said that the dog I adopted a few days ago did not have cataracts but that they are not the completely clear eyes of a 2 year old dog and he deducted that my new dog is 4 or 5 years older than stated on the Vet Summary Sheet of the Rescue group.

Just a bit of a downer since I was hoping for a younger dog to train in dog sports.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:12 PM

28,946 posts, read 30,301,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVerneHavelka View Post
My vet said that the dog I adopted a few days ago did not have cataracts but that they are not the completely clear eyes of a 2 year old dog and he deducted that my new dog is 4 or 5 years older than stated on the Vet Summary Sheet of the Rescue group.

Just a bit of a downer since I was hoping for a younger dog to train in dog sports.
well, you can still train him, that isn't a problem....my dog has been with me 3 years now, and he was very agressive, now, he's the most passive, patient sweet dog...

also, I believe the rescues are so full, and the cost that vets charge, isn't helping them...I've had to put a lot of money into mine, he had to have ACL surgery, then a large bump on his back removed...
Vets as is everything else, are going thru the roof...so the rescues advertise them as younger, hoping to get them a home...? Just guessing?

Old 04-12-2011, 01:52 PM

455 posts, read 1,239,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
OK, this has happened the 3rd time to me, and to people I know and now I'm going to complain....

You decide to rescue a dog...which is a good thing...you search on Petfinder and fall in love with the dog's picture...or you visit the rescue and you fall in love with the dog...

The dogs age is placed in the add, along with a validation, that the dog has all it's shots, is fixed, etc. They ask you to pay, between 250.00 and 350.00 for the rescue dog.

Well, they misrepresent the dogs age...mine they said was 6 years old, only to find out from the vet, that the dog is actually 10 years old...wow, what a shock...and to tell you the truth, I would have taken him anyway, b/c I fell in love with him. Then I find out, he is due for all his shots...?????

My friend adopts a dog, they tell her, the dog is between 1 1/2 years old, and 2 years old. They just spade the dog, 3 days before they sent the dog home, said she has all her shots, and sends her home with KENNEL COUGH? She takes the dog to the vet, the dog is 6 years old??????
First off, they had no business sending the dog home sick, and just having been spade...what is wrong with they, and they CLAIM to be caring and protective of animals? I believe these rescue and fosters for dogs need to be checked out, they are making money on these dogs, misrepresenting they're ages to find them homes and sending dogs home with people that are sick and shouldn't be going home...?????? They said they needed the room?????

Has anyone else had any of these experiences?

Sorry for the rant, but this to me, is very irresponsible.
My own personal opinion, I choose a dog and the dog chooses me, I will take that dog home no matter what.

Age is a bit of a concern in that you will not have as many years together as you had envisaged but that said, one of our dogs passed away at 8 years old, so is age a major issue.

As for Kennel cough the dog will get over it better at home with you giving him 24/7 TLC. Illnesses happens whether you get the dog from a Rescue or Breeder.

I knowingly bought two sickly sibling kittens, from a breeder. They were under veterinary supervision for many months, but I now have two beautiful cats who are so are laid back, loving and very affectionate. They were meant to be mine.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:05 PM

98 posts, read 120,529 times
I'm sorry to hear this, and it is very often the way it goes.

Many 'rescuers' lie about the animals they place, some don't.

Many rescuers don't care so much about the animals, it is about the power trip they are on.
They are, after all, 'rescuers'. That, they believe, puts them in a higher category than the average person. NOT TRUE, they are the ones who give 'rescuers' a bad name. MANY rescues lie to their buyers, because they want that dog gone, and they aren't all that concerned about how they do it. They offer no refund for a returned dog, you are out of your money, and if you return the dog, they will just sell it again, with the same story...never saying that someone eles all ready paid they them money to spay and vaccinate the animal.

Buyer beware....even with animals purchases, maybe, especially with animal purchases, since our heart often gets in the way of our head. Be business like when making a purchase of an animal....you will love any one that you bring home, so let it be business first.

ALSO, the seller (and rescues do sell animals) should allow you to take the animal to a vet of your choice before or right after the puchase, so that you can be more sure of what you are buying. Anytime you buy an animal without papers, you are taking a chance on what you get. I see the breed of the dog misrepresented so often. Registration papers do not assure 100% success, but it does make it less likely you are being ripped off. You can definitely find a registered animal for that amount of money, and be more likely to get what you are looking for. Temperment is also an issue, you don't know until you live with an older animal just what you are going to have to deal with. I am not a fan of placing bad tempered dogs with anyone, I believe temperment is more important that any issue when placing ANY animal in a home.

I do not believe that mixed breed dogs, or dogs without registration papers should be sold at all, but only given away. "Rescuers" will scream when they read this, but if they are honest, they should be happy to spay, vaccinate and medicate animals as needed, AND find them a good home. But, it is not about that, not about the animal, it all comes down to the money, and the power they percieve to have when they 'rescue' a dog or cat. Their self-percieved status when they sell an animal, and claim it to be a rescue, that is what most self-proclaimed rescuers are interested in.

I have helped animals and their families find homes for their pets for decades, and it was never about the money, or how long it took to find a home. It was about making the right match between the animal and the new owner. Most of the time, I spent very little for medical, and the new owners, after they decided on a dog, and we both agreed it was a good match with a trial period first, paid for the actual vaccinations (if needed) and altering (if needed) and a microchip (if needed).

Seems to me that most dogs on these types of online ads need everything...that is doubtful, but makes it easier for 'rescuers' to justify the huge amounts they want for their dogs. All medical records and receipts, and the attending veterinarian information and registration papers went with the dogs I placed, along with the previous owner's information, if the old owner didn't mind. The new owner paid for altering, and medical care, to the attending veterinarian.
My adoption contract requires the animal to come back to me if it didn't work out....it doesn't always work out, and I understand that, both animals and people have personalities, and they click or they don't. Returning a dog did not mean the new owner was a bad person in any way, it just meant things didn't work out, and sometimes, there is no way to know except to give it a try. I refund all monies for a one month period for any dog. I prefer the dog to come back to me vs. being turned loose or sent to a shelter and it is welcome back at any time during its life.

I am so sorry this happened to you....but, you aren't alone.
It happens too often.

Best wishes, and I am glad you love him anyway....

Last edited by MoBornSouthernBelle; 04-12-2011 at 02:19 PM..

Old 04-12-2011, 02:54 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,203,176 times
MoBornSouthernBelle,

I can assure you most rescue organizations are legitimate and care very much about the proper placement of an animal.

Fees for a rescue dog do not even cover the cost of spay and neutering the animal. Rescues also have fund raisers and rummage sales and a variety of events to raise money to offset the cost to take in these dogs and provide them with proper care. Personally, a couple summer's ago, I ended up with a lot of dogs dumped at kill shelters who were heartworm positive. Look up or ask the vet how much it costs to treat heartworm -hundreds to thousands. I also had to invest a lot of time making sure those dogs did not run or play or get excited during their treatment otherwise the heartworm continues to produce. Treatment means keeping the animal for at least 3 to 6 months in foster care. Add to the that the cost of spay and neutering and regular vacinations and it cost way more than the donations provided and the cost to adopt a dog like that is no different than one without any issues. Many puppies have to be treated for Parvo - another deadly disease.

I fostered many different breeds and took in as many as I could and I did not get paid to do it or feed them and often had 7 dogs in my house. I fostered many jack russell terriers which normally have a horrid reputation, but these dogs were angels - except one. The divine miss Augusta ripped all my window blinds down, scaled the kitchen drawers and got up on the counter, scaled the fence and the neighbor brough her back. If I crated her she would bark non-stop and jump up and down so much the cage would come off the ground - she was a wild child and sure, I couldn't wait to get her out of my house, but I also turned down 13 people who wanted to adopt her because I knew they were not the proper home and they would never be able to handle her. Then, I got an application from her soon to be new owner. He had grown up with jack russells and had considerable experience with them and just bought a nice farm house. During our initial phone conversation I told him all the downsides of this dog's personality and all the stuff she did, I was TOTALLY honest with this man and then I said, "Knowing what I just told you are you still interested." He was and the next thing was to take the dog and do a home visit so we actually see where the dog will live eat and sleep - no one is reimbursed for this drive and time. So, the dogs are not just given away willy-nilly.

I had another girl who wanted to adopt one of my heart worm dogs. When the time came and the dog was ready it turned out the dog was a major shedder (and he was too) and the girl was allergic to him and I told her I did have another short coat dog about the same size, same personality and we can just swap them out and do a 2 week foster to adopt to make sure the dog was compatible - no extra fees were charged. It worked and was a win-win.

Foster-to-adopt means the people keep the dog for a couple weeks and if it works out then we cash their check, if it doesn't the check is returned. All dogs, no matter the reason are taken back by the rescue no question except to know if there were behavior issues so we can work on them. With the foreclosure crisis the return rate of dogs trippled in one year because people were forced to rent apartments where animals were not allowed.

Any dog going to a home where existing dog(s) are present require us to do a vet check to make sure the existing animals are up-to-date with all their vacintions. In addition, new owners are asked to sign a waiver and we contact their vet in 6 months to make sure the dog has been into see the vet and is on proper heartworm medications.

FREE dogs often end up in the hands of people who use them for dog fighting and it's sad and sickening. I do not live far from Detroit, Michigan and it is an issue. All fees paid for a rescue dog by the new owner are also considered a tax deductible contribution to a non-profit organization, so if you itemize your taxes the cost you paid for the dog is deductible. Fosters pay for all food themselves to feed the animals for sometimes weeks or months and care for the animal in their homes and become quite attached and I've seen many a foster cry when they have to part with their foster even when they know it is going to a good home. No one with that much of an attachment to their foster is just going to dump it at the first home availble that wants to adopt them.

Also, the rescue I foster for only takes in rescues within the three adjacent counties in our area. So, it's no a rescue mill, our mission is to take care of those in our immediate area.

I am sorry you have some ill-informed knowledge about the process and costs associated with most rescue organizations. No one is disputing there may be some that aren't, but they are fewer than caring and well intentioned rescues.

Last edited by Thursday007; 04-12-2011 at 03:04 PM..

Old 04-12-2011, 04:19 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
that must be SOME money tree in MoBelle's yard.......

i don't know a single rescue, out of the MANY i work with that could possibly afford to vet, spay/neuter, care for and feed dogs (for as long as it takes), without some sort of donation to at least partially offset expenses......

are there SOME rescuers that fit her description of being on a power trip?? ABSOLUTELY.... but they are the vast minority.....

the rest of us give of our time, energy and money for the love of the dogs that have already been betrayed by humans at least once in their lives.....

Old 04-12-2011, 04:36 PM

718 posts, read 2,080,527 times
I will admit to not having adopted a rescue dog, but reading through this thread, I am so surprised by the fees. Is this the usual...$250 to $300 to adopt a dog? I find that suspect if that is the case.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
I will admit to not having adopted a rescue dog, but reading through this thread, I am so surprised by the fees. Is this the usual...$250 to $300 to adopt a dog? I find that suspect if that is the case.
It's not out of the norm for vaccinations, medications, spay and neutering. There are also the cost of cages and vehicles and leashes and a number of other investments.

The rescue I work with charges $125 to $150. My first dog in my new house I had to do all this with on my own and cost way more than that. So, it's not out of line.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBornSouthernBelle View Post

I do not believe that mixed breed dogs, or dogs without registration papers should be sold at all, but only given away. .
The issue with this, of course the costs already discussed, but it promotes irresponsible breeding by people who simply don't spay or neuter their pets, placement in anyone's home irregrdless of the circumstances, I have seen people just giving puppies away in store parking lots without any idea of what their health is, no return policy - so if something goes wrong the dog ends up in a kill shelter, no idea of the environment where the dog is going or the responsibility of the adopters to spay or neuter or properly vet the dog and then it ends up breeding more and, of course, the dog fighting issue. The whole idea and mission of the 'rescue' organizations is to eliminate these things and the continued breeding of dogs which end up being euthanized.

Addtionally, rescues will also take all free puppies from people such as this and properly vet them and then pay to have the owner's vet to have their dog spayed or neutered. Rescues cover the cost of this to eliminate continued irresponsible breeding.

When you find a litter of puppies on the side of the highway dumped there by someone in the middle of winter - it is a striking wake up call to what happens when people get 'free' puppies and aren't educated or ill-equipped to handle the health and well being of thier dogs. These dogs do not just come from kill shelters, they come from everywhere and some are just horrendous places. I've even seen homes with people who are animal hoarders - simply eye opening. Even the city or county dog warden charges people to adopt dogs.

There is a lot more to rescue organizations and the reasons they do what they do than you seem to be aware of.

Last edited by Thursday007; 04-13-2011 at 04:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs