Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 05:34 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times

Advertisements

I totally missed the statement above from MoBornSouthernBelle, but it is very misguided. Everything you have said about rescues is true. They do great work on a lot of fronts, operating on a shoestring. Adoption fees don't cover their costs as it is. And why mixed breeds, or dogs without registration papers should be "second class citizens" is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 06:14 AM

4,699 posts, read 3,281,271 times
I would never consider mixed breed dogs "second class citizens" to me they are wonderfully unique. Back in 2006 I saw the cutest puppy advertised in a local shelter ad and was lucky enough to to adopt him. He is a yellow lab and st. bernard mix, what a wonderful dog!!!! I wish people would take more time to get to know some of the shelter animals and adopt them because they make great pets!!!

Old 04-13-2011, 07:20 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
Another thing about the supposed superiority of some dogs over others, registration papers are so easily come by that even puppy mill dogs can get them. Unless you can show a dog comes from championship lines, they are pretty meaningless.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:12 AM

28,947 posts, read 30,301,550 times
well, my dog might be a mixed breed, I don't know, and as I said, I fell in love with him the moment I saw his pic, and it was 13 years since my last dog (putting him to sleep was upsetting) and I've had dogs all my life and only had to give one away...and I found a good home for her, as I didn't advertise her for free, b/c I found by doing that, you get all kinds of people calling, with 30 cats and 200 dogs...so, when I decided on a family, I gave her to them. However, this guy from rescue...it wouldn't have matter how old he was, but I do wish they'd be more truthful about the dogs age, 6 years old, is not 10 or 11 years old, and when I went to pic him up, I paid $375.00 for him, only to later find out, he was due for all his shots again in one month....and that wouldn't have matter, b/c I really did fall in love with him....

Ok, another thing that bothers me big time is, I've had dogs all my life, for they're entire life, except the one, we had to give her away....and that to, was heart breaking, not only for us, but for her....to this day I regret doing that....but I had no other choice....

I know right now, and for the past 2 years, shelters and rescues are over flowing with animals....so, there is this one rescue for a small breed, which requires a fenced in yard. This is no lie, I walk my dog, 6 times a day or more, and the walks are 2 fifteen minute walks and the rest are 10 minute walks....he runs around in the house all the time, which the vet said is enough exercise for him....however, the rescues for small dogs insist they will not place the dog if you do not have a fenced in yard? My dog has a great home and is loved and exercised a lot...and you'd think if they wanted to find a good home, they shouldn't be so prejudice about that...b/c a lot of older people would love to have a little dog companion, and would walk they're dogs a lot...but I really do think, some of these rescue people are way to picky....yes, it's better with a fenced in yard, but my dog could crawl thru a fence, he's small....

Now, I bred dobermans, when I was young, and of course, had a fenced in yard....and even to this day, my dogs were never off leash, and would never take my dog to a dog park...reason being...there are to many irresponsible dog owners who take aggressive dogs to those parks, and also, there are people who right now can't afford vet bills, and I know how easy it is to pick up worms at those parks...so, I don't socialize my dog except with our neighbors dogs....

Anyway, these are my perspectives and I'm open to change, things have changed a lot since I was younger breeding dobermans, including vet bills, they are getting way out of hand? But then, everything is getting way out of hand...so, please don't think my feelings are written in stone about these subjects, I'm just saying....

oh, and mixed breed dogs, why they are some of the smartest fur people, and by the way, that is what designer dogs are...mixed breeds, and so were dobermans....and most breeds actually....

Old 04-13-2011, 10:29 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Each rescue has its own set of criteria .... MOST are reasonable, some are not.... i find that those who work with small and fluffy dogs can be a little more rigid, because those are the dogs that most people want..... even in rescue, the laws of supply and demand apply....

i have approved owners living in an apartment and living with their son and whose yard was not completely fenced or not fenced at all.... all for different breed specific rescues....

Old 04-13-2011, 12:40 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,203,176 times
Creme,

What you experienced is really out of the ordinary and I, even being a rescue foster who has been preaching in this whole thread, think whatever rescue is demanding you have a fenced in yard for the dog without consideration of how you will exercise him and take care of his needs is ridiculous. It may be to deter the theft of the dog, but I still say it's too rigid a rule. There have only been maybe 2 or 3 dogs I have ever needed that requirement in all the years I've fostered. A couple other fosters had to require them for Pitt mixes depending on the city rules. I fostered all size breeds and the little ones can climb - not jump, but climb the fence or they are also more apt to dig under them so it's ridiculous to me. I agree that is a big discrepency in age, however the rescue may have been given that information from where it came from or a vet. Typically a dog's age, which is unknown, is determined by it's teeth so it's not an exact science and most rescues, shelters and dog wardens all have disclaimers that it is just a guess. I, too, am sorry this has happened to you.

I'd also like you to ease your conscious about the dog you had to give away. I pass no judgement on that and I think the way you handled it was exceptionally perfect and it also gave you the opportunity to see for yourself the nuts that adopt advertised as "FREE" pets. You did everything you could to make sure it had a good and proper home and that is commendable and how it should be handled. For that I say - Thank You.

Where you live may have some bearing on certain rules and regulations out of a rescue or shelter's hands. I'm not sure where you are or the laws and regulations that apply to you.

In addition, most rescues will sit down with you one on one and go over each question on your application with you because each person who adopts has different sets of circumstances and each dog has different needs.

You sound like a wonderful pet owner, a foster's dream actually, and I wish all of the people who applied for my fosters were as diligent, knowledgeable and caring as you seem to be.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:02 PM

28,947 posts, read 30,301,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Creme,

What you experienced is really out of the ordinary and I, even being a rescue foster who has been preaching in this whole thread, think whatever rescue is demanding you have a fenced in yard for the dog without consideration of how you will exercise him and take care of his needs is ridiculous. It may be to deter the theft of the dog, but I still say it's too rigid a rule. There have only been maybe 2 or 3 dogs I have ever needed that requirement in all the years I've fostered. A couple other fosters had to require them for Pitt mixes depending on the city rules. I fostered all size breeds and the little ones can climb - not jump, but climb the fence or they are also more apt to dig under them so it's ridiculous to me. I agree that is a big discrepency in age, however the rescue may have been given that information from where it came from or a vet. Typically a dog's age, which is unknown, is determined by it's teeth so it's not an exact science and most rescues, shelters and dog wardens all have disclaimers that it is just a guess. I, too, am sorry this has happened to you.

I'd also like you to ease your conscious about the dog you had to give away. I pass no judgement on that and I think the way you handled it was exceptionally perfect and it also gave you the opportunity to see for yourself the nuts that adopt advertised as "FREE" pets. You did everything you could to make sure it had a good and proper home and that is commendable and how it should be handled. For that I say - Thank You.

Where you live may have some bearing on certain rules and regulations out of a rescue or shelter's hands. I'm not sure where you are or the laws and regulations that apply to you.

In addition, most rescues will sit down with you one on one and go over each question on your application with you because each person who adopts has different sets of circumstances and each dog has different needs.

You sound like a wonderful pet owner, a foster's dream actually, and I wish all of the people who applied for my fosters were as diligent, knowledgeable and caring as you seem to be.
awww, thanks so much...greatly appreciate....
Actually the rescue that I applied to, at that time, did not have a particular dog in mind, had me fill out an application and then the next day, received an email from them stating that I was not a good Applicant, b/c I do not have a fenced in yard...so???? And it was a good thing, b/c I found my sweetie afterwards...and he is precious...I swear they are appreciative and know...he's such a patient compliant dog....and you'd never know his age, unless you really looked....I know he was beat...b/c I several times he's ducked, and then I pick him up and tell him that he doesn't have to worry about ever being hit again....

Well, wishing all you rescue people, the best, thank you all for what your doing, and, I hope my words didn't upset you, however, sometimes, communication is good to reinstate who we are and what we're doing...I to, have a lot to learn...so....hugs to you all and thanks so much....

Old 04-13-2011, 01:05 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times
Let break down what happens to a dog that is accepted to a rescue. The prices I'm quoting are rescue rates that many sympathetic vets offer to rescues. As for the rest, its first hand knowledge based on affiliations with 20 something rescue organizations over the years.

When the dog is accepted into a rescue, it is first taken to a vet for a medical assessment. This is important not only for the dog's health but to also be sure that any contagious diseases it may be carrying are diagnosed and treated. If its health allows, it is also neutered or spayed and brought current on its vaccinations at this time. Minimum cost to assess, vaccinate and neuter/spay is around $160.00. If the poor dog is suffering from a disease or parasites (ticks, fleas, heartworm, ring worm, hook worm) of course there are additional cost to treat the dog. You can add $200.00 to $1,000 on to the medical tab depending on the problems.

With most rescues when the dog is well enough, it is placed in a foster home with a person or family that understands the breed (if its a breed specific rescue) or at least understands how to help rescued dogs to adjust. The dog is assessed for temperment and basic training and housebreaking are started. An average for most foster families to care for their charges is 8 months to a year. Some have had their dogs in their care for a lot longer than that too. They help shy dogs to trust, wild dogs to learn boundries and abused dogs to learn that they will not be hurt again. Are they picky about where the dogs go? You bet! The foster families know the dog's personality and any quirks and are the best people to find the right home - no just an OK home THE RIGHT HOME.

So - how much does a rescue dog cost the rescue? At the very least around $450.00 including food, vet bills, treats, toys, leash, collar, etc. Many cost a lot more than that. The fees charged to the adoptive families are usually based on at an average to cover even the most extreme cases. Please remember, rescues are not in the business to make money. They are in the business to make a difference for the animals in their care. Most do a very fine job of it too.

Last edited by Va-Cat; 04-13-2011 at 01:14 PM..

Old 04-13-2011, 01:11 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,566,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
I would never consider mixed breed dogs "second class citizens" to me they are wonderfully unique. Back in 2006 I saw the cutest puppy advertised in a local shelter ad and was lucky enough to to adopt him. He is a yellow lab and st. bernard mix, what a wonderful dog!!!! I wish people would take more time to get to know some of the shelter animals and adopt them because they make great pets!!!
What a wonderful mix that would make I love labs and st bernards!

I would love to see a pic

Old 04-13-2011, 01:23 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,203,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Let break down what happens to a dog that is accepted to a rescue. The prices I'm quoting are rescue rates that many sympathetic vets offer to rescues. As for the rest, its first hand knowledge based on affiliations with 20 something rescue organizations over the years.

When the dog is accepted into a rescue, it is first taken to a vet for a medical assessment. This is important not only for the dog's health but to also be sure that any contagious diseases it may be carrying are diagnosed and treated. If its health allows, it is also neutered or spayed and brought current on its vaccinations at this time. Minimum cost to assess, vaccinate and neuter/spay is around $160.00. If the poor dog is suffering from a disease or parasites (ticks, fleas, heartworm, ring worm, hook worm) of course there are additional cost to treat the dog. You can add $200.00 to $1,000 on to the medical tab depending on the problems.

With most rescues when the dog is well enough, it is placed in a foster home with a person or family that understands the breed (if its a breed specific rescue) or at least understands how to help rescued dogs to adjust. The dog is assessed for temperment and basic training and housebreaking are started. An average for most foster families to care for their charges is 8 months to a year. Some have had their dogs in their care for a lot longer than that too. They help shy dogs to trust, wild dogs to learn boundries and abused dogs to learn that they will not be hurt again. Are they picky about where the dogs go? You bet! The foster families know the dog's personality and any quirks and are the best people to find the right home - no just an OK home THE RIGHT HOME.

So - how much does a rescue dog cost the rescue? At the very least around $450.00 including food, vet bills, treats, toys, leash, collar, etc. Many cost a lot more than that. The fees charged to the adoptive families are usually based on at an average to cover even the most extreme cases. Please remember, rescues are not in the business to make money. They are in the business to make a difference for the animals in their care. Most do a very fine job of it too.
What you have posted is quite accurate. The rescue organization I work with and most of them around me do not have a sliding scale of pricing for dogs, like I seem to be reading in this thread. All the dogs we foster and adopt out are $150 from birth to age something or under a certain weight. All dogs over that age or a certain weight are $125.00 no ifs, ands, or buts about what it was treated for or it's breed makes a difference. So, you do the math, which you did, which is why my car is loaded to the rafters with stuff for the Rescue's annual rummage sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs