Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 08:53 AM

534 posts, read 1,169,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Are their large list of possible retailers, REI is a big one. Woohoo!
I was just thinking of asking about the possibility of Duluth getting an REI. There is a niche that they could fill: sporting goods that are not necessarily hunting-oriented. I had the toughest time 2 weeks ago looking for a couple of different things that Duluth didn't seem to have: sit-on-top kayak accessories and a windbreaker for running.

For the kayak stuff, Gander Mtn. doesn't have much, and neither did a place I visited in Superior. SkiHut has only traditional kayaks. For the windbreaker, every place I went only had them for tiny, willowy people (I'm a 2XL).

Maybe living near their flagship store in Seattle spoiled me, but the selection and diversity of outdoor gear that REI offers is incredible, plus outdoor clothing for every size person. You can also order anything online and get free shipping to the store.

Re: Whole Foods Market. I assume the one in downtown Duluth is not affiliated with the "big" WFM? Haven't been in there yet. Whole Foods would be great, but they are pretty pricey. In WA we call them "Whole Paycheck" because that's about what it costs to do your grocery shopping there. I don't know if there are enough people in the Duluth area who want to buy everything organic, which is essentially what WFM sells.

People keep referring to the "Gander Mtn. space" - is there an old one I'm unaware of or is the current Gander Mtn. going away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 AM

781 posts, read 2,627,727 times
The "old Gander Mtn space" is the mountain themed building behing Walgreens and right now the Fairfield Inn across from the mall.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:19 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,449,830 times
I saw that Greendale article... Glad to atleast hear something on the project that says its alive. I would love REI to open there. I thought it was interesting how they have a list of over 100 retailers that are new to the area that they will be contacting. Good for them! Also I didnt realize they were planning on building a hotel on the site. But it says they will be talking to hoteliers, retailers, restaurateurs and big box reatilers. Good for them! Hopefully they can land some for the development. Now I think the city will have to let them acquire the Tax Forfeited wetlands being so much has already been put into passing the development. Plus the amount of taxes the city would get from the development are huge. I thought Greendale does have a weird set up, that is talking about there the land is. Its going to be hard to build on the upper side.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:54 AM

781 posts, read 2,627,727 times
While the land will be difficult to develop, I still think it is a great, unique location. If this development goes in, then Sunby Rd (and Maple Grove) will change drastically. That road would become much more used, which is what the Miller Trunk redesign is banking on. Have you seen the new under construction Cottonwood Ave? It is MUCH wider and looks like it will be able to handle increased traffic to Maple Grove. Sunby will also end up getting repaved and probably widened, which would be great news.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:36 AM

I think the site for Greendale is great too. Its just nice to see that they will be developing as much of that land as possible. It will also help to connect the two retail areas. The Gander Mt. area and Hermantown retail area with the Miller Hill Mall area. It sounds like Greendale is going to be a pretty nice development too. If they are willing to make it as green as possible. It sounds like they are going to get some nice retailers too. Retailers that dont just do plain stores... I am very excited for Greendale. Hopefully we will get a proposed site plan in the next few months. I would love to see some good restaurants and a Courtyard open in this development. It also makes me wonder if they city might change the plans for Sundby Road. Because right now its just a mill and overlay. But they are going to need to widen it and also there should be curbs added. Lets just hope that the city and state are smart enough to grant Mission Development that tax forfeited land.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:49 AM

721 posts, read 2,609,262 times
Finally, a development that wishes to pursue and attract new development to Duluth and increase the tax base. Imagine that!

Now before everyone gets too excited, let's hope the rabid environmentalists do not scrounge around and find some rare species of grass growing in the "wetland" (swamp) and put the kabosh on the whole thing.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:16 PM

865 posts, read 2,500,919 times
I don't know that Duluth is big enough for an REI. And speaking as a former REI employee (4 years right out of college), I think Duluth could do better. Although REI has made great strides in the last few years, they went through a LONG period of time (late 80's until very recently) where they were far too growth oriented and became little more than a Nordstrom with outdoor gear. In fact, they even hired a Nordstrom manager with NO climbing experience to be their climbing buyer - it was a complete fiasco. During this time I could guarantee that I could walk into an REI and know more about the products than the employees did.

I'd say it would be far better if Mountain Equipment Coop out of Canada would see fit too open a store south of the border. Totally unrealistic, I know!

Duluth does have some specialty outdoor shops though. Is Midnight Sun still in business?

Old 07-21-2009, 04:03 AM

432 posts, read 1,120,068 times
No, Midnight Sun closed last year I don't think anything has taken its place yet, its a neat old building. By the way, does anyone know what will take over Engwall's space when it leaves Mount Royal?

Old 07-21-2009, 12:30 PM

Texas Roadhouse started yesterday. They were survaying and the diggers and dozers were brought into the site. Exciting!

I have no idea what will take Engwall's old space in Mt. Royal. I would think it would be a local place... not a chain.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:52 PM

721 posts, read 2,609,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateduluthnative View Post
No, Midnight Sun closed last year I don't think anything has taken its place yet, its a neat old building. By the way, does anyone know what will take over Engwall's space when it leaves Mount Royal?
I think Midnight Sun still does outfitting and sponsors some local races. Not sure if I am right on that though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth