Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 12:44 PM

72 posts, read 177,723 times

Advertisements

Rediculous another delay with walmart. A superstore has been planned since what? 2003? everytime it is brought up it gets delayed and never happens. now they are blaming it on a "National Pollutant Discharge Elimination Permit" which takes 120 days to obtain? I guess it's back and forth to superior and cloquet for another year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 02:58 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,452,289 times
The Walmart thing is ridiculous. Even if they started construction in July they still would have enough to get a footings and piping and groundwork done before winter. Then they could work all winter on the framing and actual interior work. They would have time.

I am so happy about the Sundby Road development. I like the name of the center... Greendale. I still would have liked it to have been like "The Shoppes at Greendale" or "The Village at Greendale" or something like that. But I really could care less about the name! I am so excited that it got passed! I cant wait to hear more news on the development! Duluth Councilors finally made one good decision!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 05:14 PM

36 posts, read 94,143 times
I agree about Walmart using this as an excuse. They would have plenty of time to get enough done before the ground froze over for winter. Bad deal. Also the Sundby Rd. project is going to be very well needed in that area. Duluth still lacks many retail shops and some more chain restaurants and stores. Hopefully they move fairly quick on the development.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:09 PM

The Walmart thing just has to be an excuse for something. Either they are finding it more economical now to rebuild the store and now are planning that or they have found a different site or something weird is going on... I guess we will see if they really do start building in 2010... Or maybe another DNT article will come up explaining the truth on why Walmart didnt start the Hermantown remodel.

Greendale (The Sundby Road development) is going to be an awesome addition to the Duluth Heights area. 250,000 Square feet of new retail is going to do wonders for the area! Now my question is what types of stores is it going to have. Are they going to do strictly big box retailers and only have three or four on the site, or is it going to be a few big box retailers, some restaurants and some smaller retailers. The thing with this site is that it is actually two sites, so this is going to affect the design of the development. Lets just hope news come quickly and you would think it would being the developer had to show site plans to the city council.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:26 PM

432 posts, read 1,120,913 times
What is this "Greendale" development? Where on Sundby Road will it be and what company is developing it? I haven't heard of it anywhere else except this thread. Also will someone write to the city of Hermantown for info on that LaVaque Rd. retail center? I am also wondering whats up with the Residence Inn site.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:30 PM

Greendale is a 250,000 square foot retail development just north of Page Street on Sundby Road. The development will encompass 30 acres of land and it was in the DNT after the Council approved a rezoning for the site. Mission Development LLC and an Arrowhead company are developing it. Residence Inn will begin construction late this month or early May.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:00 PM

432 posts, read 1,120,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthian2008 View Post
Greendale is a 250,000 square foot retail development just north of Page Street on Sundby Road. The development will encompass 30 acres of land and it was in the DNT after the Council approved a rezoning for the site. Mission Development LLC and an Arrowhead company are developing it. Residence Inn will begin construction late this month or early May.
I just got on the Tribune website and clicked on "Duluth" on that band near the top of the page when you move to the News square and saw the article. I'm very surprised that Mayor Ness approved it. I then did a search for "mission development/arrowhead" and no website yet, so it must be a new company. This is the last large piece of prime land on the Miller Trunk in Duluth

Old 04-14-2009, 08:01 PM

I myself and also surprised he supported it along with all of the councilor members except for one. And you are exactly right. This is the final piece of large land in the Duluth Heights area. This development needed to be approved because if it wasnt the rest of the big box retail and the majority of the 450,000 square feet of new retail needed in the area in the nexy 10 years would all be in Hermantown. Its going to do a lot for the look of the area too!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:09 AM

47 posts, read 150,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthian2008 View Post
We do have to remember that Targets remodel is still on track! I think... unless thats changed too.
The remodel of Target is well on track and has already begun in off stage areas of the store (Backroom), and some front end work on the check lanes has just started. And from what I have heard from an executive on the Duluth Target remodel is that the Superior Target is also in the works for a remodel as well, but he would not elaborate further.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:44 PM

Ok I have heard now that Target was going to expand in Duluth... Did you hear anything on that?

And let me guess. Superior's Target will get a full remodel of the exterior and interior and it will be gorgeous. Just like how they got a brand new Walmart Supercenter. I still think Duluth needs a second Target and that it should be a Super Target. Did you hear anything on the Cloquet Super Target?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Duluth