Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 04:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times

Advertisements

Next thing we are going to hear is that Frugal is Fun! Everybody stay home and watch TV or read some religious book. Welcome to Brazil del Norte!

Everyone will not prosper on Mexican Wages. The profits will be concentrated and the workers will be broke. We need to stop wasting money on our Petroleum Empire, unless we start taking the oil instead of paying for it which is why you build an Empire in the first place, and rebuild our own country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 05:49 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,339,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Next thing we are going to hear is that Frugal is Fun! Everybody stay home and watch TV or read some religious book. Welcome to Brazil del Norte!
We certainly need to increase our savings rate as a country. It was pathetically low for years until this most recent economic crisis.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:02 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,203,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Water/trash is included in my rent, but it amounts to around $50/month. Lastly, I do have health insurance but I'm self-employed so its not comparable to someone that is getting benefits. The last time I got benefits my health insurance was $70/month.
Here is my point. You, and others on this board make a case for someone getting by on 41k, BUT the disclaimers are that they cant have a car payment, if they dont have very good employer sponsored healthcare, they cant have that, they have to sparingly use utilities so that they can get them to half the national average consumption. They have to live in a bad area, a tiny apartment, an area that lacks 41k a year jobs, or the middle of nowhere. They also have little to nothing for entertainment or incidentals. After all of that, they will make just enough to save in a year to cover one huge repair on their car or house.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Everyone will not prosper on Mexican Wages. The profits will be concentrated and the workers will be broke. We need to stop wasting money on our Petroleum Empire, unless we start taking the oil instead of paying for it which is why you build an Empire in the first place, and rebuild our own country.
Wait a second, you cant watch TV, because cable and antennas are an unneccessary luxury. However, you are free to go to the library if you can get there by foot or bike.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Here is my point. You, and others on this board make a case for someone getting by on 41k, BUT the disclaimers are that they cant have a car payment, if they dont have very good employer sponsored healthcare, they cant have that, they have to sparingly use utilities so that they can get them to half the national average consumption. They have to live in a bad area, a tiny apartment, an area that lacks 41k a year jobs, or the middle of nowhere. They also have little to nothing for entertainment or incidentals. After all of that, they will make just enough to save in a year to cover one huge repair on their car or house.
I gave examples before, but that's just not true in many parts of FL. With the recent housing bust, you can find condos is decent areas of Orlando and Tampa for $100 K, and houses in the 150-200 K range. 41 K is doable.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I gave examples before, but that's just not true in many parts of FL. With the recent housing bust, you can find condos is decent areas of Orlando and Tampa for $100 K, and houses in the 150-200 K range. 41 K is doable.
1. 150-200k is not realistic for a 41k salary.
2. How many jobs in Orlando with a 41k salary? The median income in Orlando is well under 30k, and the household income is about 70% of the national average. You cant use an area that has salaries way below the median US income, because a median person cant expect to make 41k there.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:42 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,665,579 times
Quote:
Bingo. Like the back and forth I had on the "family on 60K" thread a month ago, people keep muddling the points of "subsistence" and "living". Yeah you can survive on 41K with no amenities and nothing to show for your troubles other than you made it to the next day. That's not the point of living. If you want a country with a growing class of aspiring oklahoma city bombers, yeah go ahead and peddle the agenda that subsistence is the goal, most will go in debt anyways to avert that condition. An income one can CAPITALIZE on and have a comfortable, worry-free financials, yeah 40K ain't it. 60K is where that condition may begin to hold true for a childless single individual..Apply the multiplier factors for married and for kids. Off the charts...

Old 07-15-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
1. 150-200k is not realistic for a 41k salary.
It's a stretch, but your potential house should be ~4x your salary.

Quote:
2. How many jobs in Orlando with a 41k salary? The median income in Orlando is well under 30k, and the household income is about 70% of the national average.
This is what I found:

Orlando, FL (Florida) Employment Statistics (http://cityinfo.local.com/city-information/orlando-fl-employment - broken link)

Except for the extremes of age, most people between 25-60 make well over $40 K.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Except for the extremes of age, most people between 25-60 make well over $40 K.

Really, because thats in direct conflict with what the BLS says

Orlando-Kissimmee, FL - May 2009 OES Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

$14.11 an hour median wage for the Orlando metro area. Thats $29,348.80 a year. Hell, the average is only $38,430.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Hell, the average is only $38,430.
So with the average orlando home price of $100 K, that's pretty good affordability if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics