Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 04:32 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times

Advertisements

This is all to common a story since it's built on the lie that is American Consumerism..........

"We are like that one couple that almost every neighborhood seems to have that has two shiny new cars in their driveway, that dresses in designer clothes and that seems to have plenty of money to take vacations and yet is in debt up to their eyeballs."

Read the whole story to get really depressed.

More Bad News: 10 Things You Should Know About The Latest Economic Numbers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 08:39 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
This is all to common a story since it's built on the lie that is American Consumerism..........

"We are like that one couple that almost every neighborhood seems to have that has two shiny new cars in their driveway, that dresses in designer clothes and that seems to have plenty of money to take vacations and yet is in debt up to their eyeballs."

Read the whole story to get really depressed.

More Bad News: 10 Things You Should Know About The Latest Economic Numbers
It's really bad when 61% of households live check to check. I'm familiar with the feeling of the planning with that little "what if" tacked on to anything. There is no security to life. This is something that will be very hard for many to get used to as even more and more end up slipping downward.

I don't see how people manage at all in areas like socal where I'm from. I moved for other reasons but very much appreciate that the cost of living is so much less here than there. I think we are going to have a generation of high school to their 20's aged kids now who will have to learn to live with a very different reality if they aren't one of the lucky few who get the few prizes out there.

Teach your kids thrift and saving and to be flexable. They'll need it.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:32 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,343 times
bad news , hah, believe it will be OK.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:56 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i wonder if some of these forum posters were the same folks i used to see walking in times square back in the 70's with those signs about the world ending by the 1990's.

what a depressing bunch.... reminds me of the scene in naked gun when they are in the bar "the blue note" and everyones crying and the pictures on the wall were every disaster the world ever had... pretty funny. but not far from some of the postings we have on the forum.

i ofton wonder about the financial success of all these chicken littles as well. i cant imagine most were successful financially and of course they will probley tell you they never really wanted to be but id like to see some cases. i cant imagine being successful with such negativity on everything.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-16-2010 at 07:05 AM..

Old 10-16-2010, 07:03 AM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times
I hear you, Mathjak107, it's like having a real life Debbie Downer from Sat Night Live, all we need is the WAHHH WAHHHHHH music to go along with it.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:09 AM

its like watching the court shows and judge judy will say ever been arrested? more ofton then not yes they have and more then once. its no surprise they are back in trouble again or arrested again .. its just what you are tends to breed more of what you are.

those that wait for the next shoe to drop are negative about things because possibly they may never been successful financially from all the negativity breeding more negativity.

they are sour on investing, the markets are all rigged. sour on buying a business, sour on the way events will un-fold, of course they have the inside track on that info.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:23 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
its like watching the court shows and judge judy will say ever been arrested? more ofton then not yes they have and more then once. its no surprise they are back in trouble again or arrested again .. its just what you are tends to breed more of what you are.

those that wait for the next shoe to drop are negative about things because possibly they may never been successful financially from all the negativity breeding more negativity.

they are sour on investing, the markets are all rigged. sour on buying a business, sour on the way events will un-fold, of course they have the inside track on that info.
Instead of constantly moaning about how bad things are, we should try to think of ways to surmount these problems so things are better in the future. Our problems are not insurmountable if we face up to them and recognize them honestly. If we allow these problems to overtake us, that will be our choice, not something that was inevitable.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:28 AM

just get on with life, be as successful as you can and deal with issues if and when they are real.. living life under what if is hell.

im looking to retire into this mess very soon but i dont dwell on it. i hope for the best, plan as best as i can and go on.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:56 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
just get on with life, be as successful as you can and deal with issues if and when they are real.. living life under what if is hell.

im looking to retire into this mess very soon but i dont dwell on it. i hope for the best, plan as best as i can and go on.
I'd love to retire. The working world today is pure hell.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:02 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Instead of constantly moaning about how bad things are, we should try to think of ways to surmount these problems so things are better in the future. Our problems are not insurmountable if we face up to them and recognize them honestly. If we allow these problems to overtake us, that will be our choice, not something that was inevitable.
Sure. That is the application of studying the Worst Case Scenario.

Doomers tend to be experts on the Worst Case

Worst Case Scenarios are very worthy study cases because generally to be un-prepared for the Worst Case leads to disaster level outcomes, but if they are studied in advance and properly prepared for, they can just be an inconvenient mis-adventure.

Take for examples --

the Titanic -- driving reckless and without lifeboats = disaster. If the Worst Case were considered in advance -- drive slow and have safety equipment. Not a big deal.

A schoolhouse or nightclub fire -- blocked exits and no plan = disaster. If the Worst Case were considered in advance -- smoke and heat detectors, open doors, clear plans and marking, emergency lighting. Not a big deal.

Same on the Economy and Business -- consider the Worst Case(s) the Doomers present, and have plans to deal with them. No big deal.

ALL of the crash matters, methods and outcomes were in discussion by Doomers for at least a couple of years, now. I did a Read and Heed of them, and have avoided many painful aspects of the downturn.

Pretty handy device and method if one thinks about how to use it all.

So why is it that the Glib Nitwits who only like Happy Talk feel compelled to rant against the Doomers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics