Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:17 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The belittling made me cry all the way to the bank
Agreed. It's just so funny how at the time, if anyone like me dared to post some encouraging or somewhat positive news, the arbiters of doom would pounce and provide all kinds of statistics to show how I was delusional and based on foreclosures in Oshkosh, WI, the Dow would be at 4,000 in two weeks, and we'd all be eating at bread lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 01:00 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
was this thread supposed to be serious in the first place? i mean i'm pretty sure the OP was talking about "doom and gloomers". anytime i hear the term "doom and gloomers" i know the person that is saying this, is a complete and total moron that i don't need to take seriously. is this the camp you're in, or are you capable of discussing economic changes without creating silly little names based upon how you've invested your money?

where did y'all get this term, in the first place? Fox News? Alan Greenspan? Do y'all (y'all being the morons who use the term "doom and gloomers"), have the foggiest idea what has happened in our economy in the past 3 years? How about the past 30 years? What do YOU do for a living that is so valuable?

These, and more, are questions that I need to know the answers to before I can take you seriously as a human being.
So people must meet your requirements in order to have an opinion, judged worthy by you to even be a human being.

What makes you an arbiter of what constitutes sound economic thinking and judge of what is right/wrong in this world?

Justify yourself before sitting in judgement of others.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:37 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Well I'll step forward as a quote "doomer and gloomer" in 2007, 2008, and 2009 on the CD. You may judge me on my past posts and you can pass sentence.

As for 2010 I been feeling better about the economy since about the spring and summer of this year and so far the money has been right for me. I think at this point I doubt much a double dip recession will happen....though I think the market will be quiet volatile for while. And I think real estate in general is going to stay depressed for sometime to come.
I find it interesting right now. It seem to me there are alot of scared folk out there both in finance and small businesses but to me they don't seem to really know why they are scared. Some mention taxes going up. OK I guess that my put a bit of a damper on economic growth but it should kill all businesses/investments outright? Then some mention their waiting for the other shoe to drop. What that shoe is, these people seem unclear of. But they're wait for something to fall. Some other disaster to happen.

Now you can judge me on this as well. I think we are climbing out of the hole but very very slowly and I don't see any real slippage of our grip and a slide backward. But to be quite honest I don't have a clue when the jobless level will reach a acceptable level or when America will be firing on all cylinders again. But I do have a somewhat unfounded hope/faith in our country's economic system that it will full upright itself by the end of the decade. We shall see.

Till then I await my judgment and/or punishment that may be dealt to me.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:48 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Now you can judge me on this as well. I think we are climbing out of the hole but very very slowly and I don't see any real slippage of our grip and a slide backward. But to be quite honest I don't have a clue when the jobless level will reach a acceptable level or when America will be firing on all cylinders again. But I do have a somewhat unfounded hope/faith in our country's economic system that it will full upright itself by the end of the decade. We shall see.
Sure, I'll judge you. That sounds like a reasonable, well thought out opinion on the economy of this country going forward and I agree 100%.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:00 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Well I'll step forward as a quote "doomer and gloomer" in 2007, 2008, and 2009 on the CD. You may judge me on my past posts and you can pass sentence.

As for 2010 I been feeling better about the economy since about the spring and summer of this year and so far the money has been right for me. I think at this point I doubt much a double dip recession will happen....though I think the market will be quiet volatile for while. And I think real estate in general is going to stay depressed for sometime to come.
I find it interesting right now. It seem to me there are alot of scared folk out there both in finance and small businesses but to me they don't seem to really know why they are scared. Some mention taxes going up. OK I guess that my put a bit of a damper on economic growth but it should kill all businesses/investments outright? Then some mention their waiting for the other shoe to drop. What that shoe is, these people seem unclear of. But they're wait for something to fall. Some other disaster to happen.

Till then I await my judgment and/or punishment that may be dealt to me.
I don't think too many folks (myself included) think the economy is just great or everything is running on all cylinders, and I agree that high unemployment lagging the growth of GDP combined with uncertain fiscal policy in DC is making many uneasy.

Having said that, there was a contingent on this forum and other forums who just didn't want to hear or review any data that didn't support their conclusion that the world was ending and we were all headed for "Depression 2" within weeks. I have no idea if you were on of those posters, but it doesn't sound like it.

There is nothing wrong with being cautious and realistic about finances and the economy, but irrational fear isn't helpful, nor is ignoring any and all positive data while glomming onto any shred of gloom and doom, no matter how tenuous or speculative. As we can see from hindsight, many posters took the irrational fear and speculation route, while ignoring pieces of reality that didn't fit their preconceived notions.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Having said that, there was a contingent on this forum and other forums who just didn't want to hear or review any data that didn't support their conclusion that the world was ending and we were all headed for "Depression 2" within weeks. I have no idea if you were on of those posters, but it doesn't sound like it.
Yup, it doesn't sound like it at all. There is a distinct difference between people with reasonable concerns like this poster and those who stupidly regurgitate news blurbs from doomsday websites. Those will never get anywhere and will forever be predicting further doom to make them selves feel better about it,.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:43 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Best September performance in 71 years. The historically weakest month for stocks in the year.

Stocks see best September in 71 years- Market Dispatches - MSN Money

Old 09-30-2010, 11:04 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,681 times
No one knows what the markets are going to do, but people will always try to forecast it for whatever reason, good or bad. They always have and they always will. The dooms dayers are out in larger numbers for obvious reasons, low unemployment, high debt .... blah blah blah. So i dont feel like any one should be repromanded just because they were wrong THIS TIME. Statistically, a flip of a coin is more reliable then the best annalyst.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:18 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times
There was also many and most of the financial people on tv in 2007 and 2008 before the crash stating that the economy was strong and housing would continue to increase. Well even Bernanke was stating many of the same things. So it goes both ways...some are too doom and gloom and others are way too optimistic.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
So it goes both ways...some are too doom and gloom and others are way too optimistic.
Good post, and a fair summary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics