Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:29 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
right, bogus wealth creation. The sort of wealth that matters is created in business, not by people trading real estate. We could nationalize our entire real estate market tomorrow and still have a great nation.

Note, i'm not suggesting you can't make money off real estate, just that true wealth from societies point of view is not generated this way.
really!!!!! real estate is a business if its done right. in fact i would never buy a business unless the real estate was part of the deal. rarely is a business worth anything at the end other then its inventory. but if the business pays off the real estate then you got something of value..l

our family did very well in real estate and are selling everything off the last few years in preperation for early retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 10:48 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,200,443 times
Quote:
And....what about the neighborhood? Gilbert is large enough to have significant differences at the neighborhood level. The prices for 3/2 seem to range from $90k to $200k.
It is pretty much all suburbia with a token downtown, no real bad areas in terms of crime. I suspect the variance has to do with distance to highways, community amenities, etc. but not really sure.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:53 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
really!!!!! real estate is a business if its done right. in fact i would never buy a business unless the real estate was part of the deal. rarely is a business worth anything at the end other then its inventory. but if the business pays off the real estate then you got something of value..l

our family did very well in real estate and are selling everything off the last few years in preperation for early retirement.
I think most of the talk about homes are revolving around someone's single-family property that they live in. This does not include investment, rental, or commercial properties.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:55 AM

exactley... and ill say it again. a home is not an investment. its your cost of housing.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:14 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
really!!!!! real estate is a business if its done right. in fact i would never buy a business unless the real estate was part of the deal.
Well its a good thing you're not interested in business then, as most businesses (especially in cities) don't own the real estate they operate out of.

Quote:
rarely is a business worth anything at the end other then its inventory.
I'm starting to think you've yet to encounter someone that operates a successful business, a business that is only worth its inventory is a failed business. If the business was generating a reasonable profit, then it would have a value greater than its inventory. A successful business is going to sell for 1~3 times its discretionary earnings plus the value of inventory (and other liquid assets).

Quote:
Like I said, I'm not suggesting people don't make money in real estate, rather I'm suggesting that real wealth isn't generated in real estate.

What exactly did you do to earn the gains you did in real estate? Nothing, you're merely stealing wealth from current workers/businesses that are forced (because its a natural resource) to buy real estate at current values. Hence, real estate results in a transfer of wealth, not the creation of wealth.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:41 PM

762 posts, read 1,099,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702
I'm not missing anything, no skin in the game is not the situation as it stands today for most people trying to buy. In fact its the opposite, lots of people can't get loans who under pretty good scrutiny should be getting loans. It was the situation before and it caused great distress in the market, but once again it really is important to look at what the situation is today without pulling out too much hair about what it was before or what it might be if things go wrong in the future.
You are missing the point. Hear me out; nobody should be buying a house today unless they can put a lot down or pay cash—that’s skin in the game. The part of your quote, in bold, doesn’t sound right unless they couldn’t provide a decent down payment—that’s no skin in the game!

Quote:
...if your talking about the fact that folks used the home they live in as a savings bank....well i agree but nothing wrong with real estate itself
This is what’s not being realized by some posters here. There’s people that are okay with using a home as a savings account (asset). There’s people that are okay with a home that does not or barely keeps up with inflation.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Well its a good thing you're not interested in business then, as most businesses (especially in cities) don't own the real estate they operate out of.

I'm starting to think you've yet to encounter someone that operates a successful business, a business that is only worth its inventory is a failed business. If the business was generating a reasonable profit, then it would have a value greater than its inventory. A successful business is going to sell for 1~3 times its discretionary earnings plus the value of inventory (and other liquid assets).

Like I said, I'm not suggesting people don't make money in real estate, rather I'm suggesting that real wealth isn't generated in real estate.

What exactly did you do to earn the gains you did in real estate? Nothing, you're merely stealing wealth from current workers/businesses that are forced (because its a natural resource) to buy real estate at current values. Hence, real estate results in a transfer of wealth, not the creation of wealth.

whats a business worth at the end? the employees are free to leave when you sell ,the customers are free to leave. unless you have a name thats sellable and brand recognition there may be no value other then left over equipment and inventory.. hmmmmmm lets see i own a store and i charge more for a widget then i paid taking money from my customers pocket... and thats different then me selling real estate for more then i paid... .?

Old 01-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
whats a business worth at the end?
Considering people buy and sell businesses all the time, there is a pretty straight forward answer. A business is worth its assets and ability to generate profit, these are the two things used to value businesses.

Quote:
hmmmmmm lets see i own a store and i charge more for a widget then i paid taking money from my customers pocket... and thats different then me selling real estate for more then i paid... .?
Firstly, I have no idea why you are pretending as if retail businesses are the only type of business. Secondly, yes its different. The retailer is charging more based on what they are doing for their customer, they are providing a convenient location to purchase the item (you'd have to purchase in bulk from a manufacture/distributor otherwise), they are providing help in selecting your item, and so on. On the other hand you've provided nothing, instead you are merely gaining because the community your home exists in has increased in value. Its really just legalized theft, you are stealing from current workers/businesses because you own an asset that can't be produced (e.g., the land) that is necessary for them to live/operate in the area.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:41 PM

wrong. for most small businesses a business's ability to generate profits is based on 2 things that usually have no guarantee of sticking around when a business is sold or changes hands , the employees and the customer base.

heres a secreat as to what made our company so great... we find companies in our industries that are up for sale or having financial difficulty. we have great companies with nice customer bases who are having cash flow issues . we offer the owners a job, we hire the people, the customer base follows along usually and we pay only for useable inventory and equipment.

our company has done this 8 or 9 times already and have taken over the customer bases without paying 1 penny for any of the businesses other then the above. we have seen sooooo many companies that were long time solid profitable companies end up with nothing at the end because they loose the employees and the customer base once things change at the company

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-07-2011 at 05:52 PM..

Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
wrong. for most small businesses a business's ability to generate profits is based on 2 things that usually have no guarantee of sticking around when a business is sold or changes hands , the employees and the customer base.
There is nothing wrong about what I stated, like large corporations, small businesses are valued in terms of their assets and profits. The fact that there is "no guarantee" is irrelevant, there is no guarantee you'll be here tomorrow either. A small business that may have a rough transfer of ownership is going to sell is for less, yet its still going to sell for more than its inventory or assets.

Quote:
we find companies in our industries that are up for sale or having financial difficulty.
As I said, you're talking about failed businesses and you seem to be only thinking of retail businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics