Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 06:21 AM

573 posts, read 2,058,889 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm from Long Island and at a near by Walmart they have a Jackson Hewitt. I never did my taxes from them. What kind of information should I get from the person who is doing my taxes just to be safe? Is that all I can do? Would you recommend a place like this located inside a Walmart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 06:50 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
to be honest most all use some version of turbo tax , tax cut etc and unless you have some tricky financial stuff in your life there isnt going to be a whole lot of difference from you just in putting your info yourself into the software and saving a bundle.

i used to go to one of the tax chains and found they were no smarter then the questions in turbo tax. have only done my own now for decades.. we have all kinds of investments,rental property, k1's etc and it couldnt be easier just plugging the info in.

theres no magic here, everything in our lives is reported income and there isnt a whole lot most of us have wiggle room on. as long as you understand the questions the software asks they cover the same questions a tax preparer will ask you and charge you for. .

taxes can get complicated for those with business's and special situations that arent just about listing repoorted income and for those folks i dont recommend a local tax chain. get yourself a real pro or tax attorney and do it right.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
to be honest most all use some version of turbo tax , tax cut etc and unless you have some tricky financial stuff in your life there isnt going to be a whole lot of difference from you just in putting your info yourself into the software and saving a bundle.

i used to go to one of the tax chains and found they were no smarter then the questions in turbo tax. have only done my own now for decades.. we have all kinds of investments,rental property, k1's etc and it couldnt be easier just plugging the info in.

theres no magic here, everything in our lives is reported income and there isnt a whole lot most of us have wiggle room on. as long as you understand the questions the software asks they cover the same questions a tax preparer will ask you and charge you for. .

taxes can get complicated for those with business's and special situations that arent just about listing repoorted income and for those folks i dont recommend a local tax chain. get yourself a real pro or tax attorney and do it right.
I am not able to do it by myself even with the help of those programs, etc..

Old 02-05-2011, 08:58 AM

870 posts, read 2,110,052 times
In that case, OP, yes, the Jackson Hewitt in Walmart will be as capable as the H&R Block that has a storefront. Both are likely to be slightly cheaper than an enrolled agent and a CPA, but you often get what you pay for. If you have a fairly straight-forward tax return, go ahead and use the Walmart Jackson Hewitt (I wouldn't worry about security of information). If, however, you have a few complicated investments, partnerships, or other sources of income, go to a pro who knows taxes inside and out (ie, a CPA or enrolled agent). In addition, a tax pro can often help educate you about your tax situation and how you can legally reduce your taxes owed for 2011.

Most of the people who work in the Jackson Hewitts/H&R Blocks of the world have had a 1-2 week training course in how to use the software. They know very little about taxes overall, but the software is good enough that they can do most people's taxes with no problem. They have a place in the world of taxes, but they are not for complicated returns.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:20 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
I am not able to do it by myself even with the help of those programs, etc..
I'm not trying to be rude, but have you actually tried using Turbo Tax or other similar program, or are you just intimidated by the thought of trying? Honestly, if you can follow directions you can use Turbotax pretty easily.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I'm not trying to be rude, but have you actually tried using Turbo Tax or other similar program, or are you just intimidated by the thought of trying? Honestly, if you can follow directions you can use Turbotax pretty easily.
someone else did it for me on turbotax and there were some questions that I didn't know the answer to, I'm not even sure if he knew the right answers. It's more than just typing the information from the W-2 form.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:02 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
someone else did it for me on turbotax and there were some questions that I didn't know the answer to, I'm not even sure if he knew the right answers. It's more than just typing the information from the W-2 form.
Maybe if you can tell us what the questions are we can help. If you go to any tax prep company they will probably have the same questions that only you will be able to answer.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
In that case, OP, yes, the Jackson Hewitt in Walmart will be as capable as the H&R Block that has a storefront. Both are likely to be slightly cheaper than an enrolled agent and a CPA, but you often get what you pay for. . .
Actually my CPA charges less than H&R Block.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
It really depends how complicated your taxes are. I use a "Big 4" CPA firm because mine are very complicated.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:58 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
If you take the time to educate yourself on the answers to the questions that Turbotax asks then you'll have a much better handle on your finances. Seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics