Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 10:13 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,775,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This is what is terribly wrong with America.
The only part that is wrong are the people who drive these vehicles but have no true need for them. But those of us in rural areas need pickups with large beds. We drive large SUV's because a minivan wont survive out here. There are small trucks with large beds that exist outside of the US that are available in Canada but thanks to our gov't they are not legal to drive on public roads.

And these are highly efficient.

You can't clump all of the US into a New England model since most of the country is rural. And no matter what we will still drive large vehicles no matter the cost of the fuel. Gas is relatively cheap compared to the rest of the world.

But I don't see threads of people complaining about $100/month cell phone bills or $50/month internet access bills or $200/month cable bills or ..........................

Old 04-06-2011, 05:15 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,984,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post

You can't clump all of the US into a New England model since most of the country is rural. And no matter what we will still drive large vehicles no matter the cost of the fuel. Gas is relatively cheap compared to the rest of the world.

For you the gas is cheap. The rest of the world that can afford cars generally lives close in, not out in rural areas. Europeans have small efficient cars and generally live close in. They do not have the overconsumption model we have. That said, if you really need the gas guzzling vehicles for farming and trucking, etc, you can also run a small car for your daily errands which will save a lot (not for you, since you don't need any savings) but for the benefit of national conservation.

But I don't see threads of people complaining about $100/month cell phone bills or $50/month internet access bills or $200/month cable bills or

It's either, for me for example, $50 a month for cell, or $60+ a month for landline with LD. Same for most others. Internet access is often work-related and does not run through gas like water. I personally know of no one with $200/mo cable bills, at least not in my part of the world. I, and most of my friends, either pay $10 to get reception (moi), or $70 to get a number of channels.
My point is that America thinks and "needs" big, can't seem to do without it. That has implications, whether one particular consumer can afford it or not.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
....you can also run a small car for your daily errands which will save a lot...

So how is that saving me anything since you're not counting a car payment in your calculation of savings?

Old 04-06-2011, 06:09 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,984,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post

So how is that saving me anything since you're not counting a car payment in your calculation of savings?
As I suggested in my post above, savings does not seem to be a concern for you. You say gas is cheap, so that indicates a good level of income. You can even by a 4 cylinder beater to run around town for anything besides hauling. You could even share the beater with one of your rural neighbors. It's a lifestyle choice, regardless of what you can afford.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,790,821 times
I guess what surprises me is that gas prices are already high: Over $4 a gallon. Yet somehow people aren't complaining as much about it as they were a few years back. Its like they've resigned to paying more.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
....savings does not seem to be a concern for you
Why should it be? Why worry about what you can't control? Worry about what you can.

See this is America. We all have abilities to make choices. You choose a small car that averages in the high 20's in mpg and make multiple runs for errands because you can't fit everything. While my SUV/Pickup averages in the mid to high teens and I can get all my errands done in one shot. We in rural areas drive large vehicles because of need. Driving a F150 vs a Ranger (Ford products) has a small mpg difference.

Quote:
You can even by a 4 cylinder beater to run around town for anything besides hauling.
Now thats a waste of gas. burning gas just for the hell of it.

Quote:
You could even share the beater with one of your rural neighbors.
Sure I can just ride my horse to a neighbor to borrow their car.

You need to get out of the Northeast and see the rest of the country without your blinders on.

I've been out of the country. Their gas prices are over double ours. Their food prices are nearly triple. Their expendables are nearly quadruple (electronics, clothing). So compared to most of the world what we pay for everything is relativly cheap compared to them.

Savings is a concern to everyone but spending is the issue in this country. Living within our means is an issue.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:33 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,790,821 times
Quote:
See this is America. We all have abilities to make choices. You choose a small car that averages in the high 20's in mpg and make multiple runs for errands because you can't fit everything. While my SUV/Pickup averages in the mid to high teens and I can get all my errands done in one shot. We in rural areas drive large vehicles because of need. Driving a F150 vs a Ranger (Ford products) has a small mpg difference.
I grew up in the "sticks" too. We never drove large trucks or SUVs. I own a small toyota truck that averages around 30 MPG. I also had a small trailer in which I hauled stuff in. There has been maybe 2 or 3 times in the past 15 years that I can think of that we might have needed something bigger to haul something. Another thing I think about is that we're probably the only country where people feel that they MUST drive large trucks and SUVs. There are LOTS of other countries with a larger percentage of their populace living in rural areas- way more so than in the US- driving small vehicles. Hell- I've seen pictures in national geographic where there's some dude driving like 10-15 pigs to market on a small motorbike. If they can do it- then we can too.

On the other hand my Uncle is a farmer and does actually need a large truck to haul his equipment. That said- the vehicle they drive to town is a Honda Civic. The truck is used for actual work. I now live in a major California city. Whenever I visit my parents back home its always amazing to see so many people driving huge, yet very clean and shiny trucks and SUVs that obviously never do anything other than haul kids and groceries.

Its a free country and people can drive whatever they want. But I don't buy than many people- other than actual professionals NEED large trucks and SUVs.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I own a small toyota truck that averages around 30 MPG. I also had a small trailer in which I hauled stuff in.
And when you tow that trailer full of whatver, what happens to your mpg's?

Quote:
But I don't buy than many people- other than actual professionals NEED large trucks and SUVs.
For anything larger than a F150, I strongly agree. Anything larger should have commercial or farm tags and be charged accordingly as a truck and not a personal vehicle.

The same goes for SUV's. Expeditions & Excursions should not exist as personal vehicles.

Quote:
I've seen pictures in national geographic where there's some dude driving like 10-15 pigs to market on a small motorbike.
I've seen them for real. I'd love to have one. The back part is a large bed and the front part is three wheeled motorcycle. But its another banned vehicle from being driven on the roads in the US.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:58 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,264,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I guess what surprises me is that gas prices are already high: Over $4 a gallon. Yet somehow people aren't complaining as much about it as they were a few years back. Its like they've resigned to paying more.
Once they get it to $6/gallon and it falls to $4 people will think $4 is cheap. Back in 2005 when we had $2 gas for the first time people though that was insanity, but now we dream of $2 gas and it has become what $1 gas used to be.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:59 AM

78,502 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Back in 2008 it was an election year and it was made into a political issue.
Remember the congressional investigations and Hillary's promise to "take those profits"? "Drill baby Drill"?

It's no different than the anti-war rallies and guantanamo protests which have disappeared as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics