Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 11:39 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, but in the imperfect world, they don't. They are gullible suckers, and the system is set up to reward those who dangle trinkets in front of them and then take them to the cleaners. Which is the way you want to be, probably because you are one of the winners, who has no qualms at all about taking gullible suckers to the cleaners, and then denying them any assistance when their children go hungry and get left out of the opportunity cycle.

Proud of yourself?
It is not the role of business to educate all gullible suckers and make them ungullible. That is the role of parents and schools as well as individual responsibility. But I tend to have a little higher opinion of most people's abilities. I don't look at people as gullible, programmed lap dogs salivating for a treat from their master. I tend to give people a little more credit for having a mind of their own and having capabilities of weighing choices against consequences.

And those last lines of yours are truly pathetic and illuminate your character. Just throw out a completely unfounded attack that I want little children to starve. Do you think other readers are so gullible as to believe that - of wait, you do believe that about other people.

Ironic since I have used my marketing skills to bring in tens of thousands of dollars for children's charities over the years. Yes, marketing is a tool which can be wielded for good (not just evil as you believe). As a parent and child of teachers/activists, children philanthropy is one of my main causes.

What have you personally done for childhood hunger? Many of the successful business people you disparage have given billions to these kinds of childhood organizations. I could refer you to a few organizations where you could contribute your time or money. But from your posts, I have a feeling you are a complainer and not a doer. A taker and not a giver. Hopefully, I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
The harder you work the luckier you get.

Some can call it luck, some can call it being visionary.
At age three, Tiger Woods shot a 48 over nine holes, and at age five, he appeared on ABC's That's Incredible. His dad was an accomplished multi-sport athlete, who trained him from a young age.

Now, tell me again that Tiger Woods became a great golfer because he worked harder, and I could have been just as good if I had worked just as hard. And the fact that at age 3 I didn't know how hard I'd have to work and I didn't have the extensive, competent training, was my own fault, and for people like the "visionary" Walton Family to have the money instead of me is fully deserved.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
honestly...read Outliers. it's an interesting argument, and it applies to many in your list above.
I plan on it... Maybe we can start another thread to discuss it.

As I said, my own personal experiences with successful people shape my view that it is more the hardwork, vision, and determination and less "luck" that leads to overall success. Other people have had different experiences. For me, this is the healthiest belief system. If I were to believe it was all about luck, why would I ever want to work hard to realize my goals and dreams as it would be futile?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:07 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
At age three, Tiger Woods shot a 48 over nine holes, and at age five, he appeared on ABC's That's Incredible. His dad was an accomplished multi-sport athlete, who trained him from a young age.

Now, tell me again that Tiger Woods became a great golfer because he worked harder, and I could have been just as good if I had worked just as hard. And the fact that at age 3 I didn't know how hard I'd have to work and I didn't have the extensive, competent training, was my own fault, and for people like the "visionary" Walton Family to have the money instead of me is fully deserved.
the same guy who wrote outliers covers this as well. i don't remember if it was the same book or one of his others though. interesting stuff.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I plan on it... Maybe we can start another thread to discuss it.

As I said, my own personal experiences with successful people shape my view that it is more the hardwork, vision, and determination and less "luck" that leads to overall success. Other people have had different experiences. For me, this is the healthiest belief system. If I were to believe it was all about luck, why would I ever want to work hard to realize my goals and dreams as it would be futile?
well, it's not all about luck. but plenty of people work just as hard and have the same ideas as the ones that get swiped into popularity. it's a lot of hard work and definitely some component of right place, right time, and luck. but the idea that if you work hard you'll be successful is as crazy as it's all about luck.

we could definitely discuss it sometime. i think it gives interesting perspectives on things, though i don't know that i buy fully into his arguments.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:46 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
he didn't? why don't you try reading something about Michael Dell before selling a rags to riches story about him?

Early life and education
Michael Dell was born to a well-off, Texan Jewish family, on February 23, 1965.[2] The son of an orthodontist[3] and a stockbroker, Dell attended Herod Elementary School in Houston, Texas.[4] In a bid to enter business early, he applied to take a high school equivalency exam at age eight. In his early teens, he invested his earnings from part-time jobs in stocks and precious metals.[5]

Dell purchased his first calculator at age seven and encountered his first teletype machine in junior high, which he programmed after school. At age 15, after playing with computers at Radio Shack, he got his first computer, an Apple II, which he promptly disassembled to see how it worked.[6] Dell attended Memorial High School in Houston, selling subscriptions to the Houston Post in the summer. While making cold calls, Dell observed that newlyweds and people moving into new homes were most likely to buy a subscription. He targeted this demographic group by collecting names from marriage and mortgage applications. Dell earned $18,000 that year, exceeding the annual income of his history and economics teacher.[7]
I know a lot about Dell. To me $18,000 isn't "money." He didn't have a pile of cash and put it on a roulette wheel and turn it into a PC company. He earned that $18K, wasn't given it by an uncle.

He put that money to use at an early age, much like Buffett did. Dell didn't become a huge success right away. He founded PCs Limited before he formed Dell Computer. A very good friend of mine bought PCs from PCs Limited back then, sold with software to building contractors. Dell continued to build his business, and most of their innovation was in the supply chain. No luck involved in that.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I know a lot about Dell. To me $18,000 isn't "money." He didn't have a pile of cash and put it on a roulette wheel and turn it into a PC company. He earned that $18K, wasn't given it by an uncle.

He put that money to use at an early age, much like Buffett did. Dell didn't become a huge success right away. He founded PCs Limited before he formed Dell Computer. A very good friend of mine bought PCs from PCs Limited back then, sold with software to building contractors. Dell continued to build his business, and most of their innovation was in the supply chain. No luck involved in that.
he had parents that he could fall back on if his ventures failed. that's nothing? a good friend of mine started a marketing business with "no money". he works his tail off. he's developing it into a nice business. but his dad is a partner at a very prominent law firm in NJ, and his mom is an interior designer. sure...he started his business from scratch with "nothing", but he had quite a good support system to fall back on if it failed.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:53 PM

but yes...his supply chain ideas were innovative. i'm not trying to take away from his success, but again....he had this idea with PCs as the PC market was exploding. other companies may have had very similar ideas...but too soon, or too late. timing is part of the "luck" that is discussed in Outliers.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
but yes...his supply chain ideas were innovative. i'm not trying to take away from his success, but again....he had this idea with PCs as the PC market was exploding. other companies may have had very similar ideas...but too soon, or too late. timing is part of the "luck" that is discussed in Outliers.
But maybe if it had been a different market, he would have feverishly pursued a different innovative idea and still been very successful. Maybe he would have created another market - like Ty Warner did with Beanie Babies. Timing is not always luck, it is also being very educated/in tune with market trends/customers and you often have to work hard to get to that point.

There are also many examples of successful people who had no parents to fall back on. They were abused, orphaned, etc. Oprah, Dave Thomas, and Chris Gardner come to mind. Do you think these are all outliers?

Old 04-15-2011, 01:17 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
My whole issue with the system is that the common person is shouldering the bills for the country - Honestly what breaks does the middle class get?
We get a larger portion of our net income taken out for healthcare which is escalating probably due to the greedy insurance companies not saying you do not pay your fair share either but you probably have more disposable income and that is the sticking point.
what is left after my check after the bills and taking care of loved ones and such- not much , not much.
Your first sentence is just simply ridiculous. Let's pick an arbitrary rich person. He or she is worth $100M, and earns $1M per year. Maybe they are a corporate executive, perhaps a CEO of a mid-size public company. This person probably pays $300,000 in income taxes per year. Probably pays huge property taxes on the home(s) he owns.

He is ONE person. He has one vote. He massively overpays for the services he receives from the schools in his neighborhood. He overpays for the variety of municipal services he consumes.

The so-called common person probably pays far less than the value of the services he and his family consume.

I'm not arguing for people to pay their own way. Many could never do it. But to say they are shouldering the bill is completely unfounded. He is already benefiting from huge breaks, paid for by others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics