Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 02:54 PM

474 posts, read 2,540,105 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends:

From my opinion, the bottom line is one's employment. If someone is not making any money, then of course 'he' can't invest in the stock market. Yes, there are jobs out there, but many people want excellent jobs with excellent remuneration. They are not willing to take menial employment. Now with this, I can exclude myself since I am retired.
This exact scenario happened in the years just prior to 1929. Around 1925. In the Florida Land Boom and Collapse around 1925, many people had already given up on the stock market and seemingly saw a bonanza in Florida Land. They invested in land because they still had money / employment.
When the 1929 Depression hit, people were demoralized to the point that their only interests were to put food on their table. No employment.
Certainly, we are not there, yet. However, it greatly appears that we are headed there. "The Grapes of Wrath" and the "Florida Land Boom and Collapse" are two very good books to read. After one reads both of those books, then he can disagree with those authors, if he wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 02:31 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,233,999 times
You mentioned this in an earlier posting too. For the purpose of discussion, in a brief summary way, what linkage (cause and effect) do you see between the Florida land boom/bust and the Great Depression? How do you parallel that to what is occurring today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics