Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:14 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
There is a persistent fiction in this country that even if you are dirt poor, someday you, too, might become a multimillionaire.

As the fallacy of this fantasy becomes more evident, state lotteries prop up the concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Docile serf living well off a modest amount of money and putting away for his future, or bitter angry guy who hates the man and spends everything he makes because he thinks a nice apartment, eating out, and blowing money on bars/clubs on the weekends will make him happy.

Hmm. Where do I sign up for the docile serf line again?
My family immigrated to the US nearly 30 years ago.. they started from dirt-poor to millionaires (single digit).

They held regular white-collar jobs, lived well below their means, and aggressively invested what they saved.

I honestly believe I have a shot at being "rich" using the same line of thinking given what I've started with compared with that they started with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 11:31 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
My family immigrated to the US nearly 30 years ago.. they started from dirt-poor to millionaires (single digit).

They held regular white-collar jobs, lived well below their means, and aggressively invested what they saved.

I honestly believe I have a shot at being "rich" using the same line of thinking given what I've started with compared with that they started with.

You do, no matter the naysayers... There is still lots of opportunity in this country for hard-working, risk-taking, smart, opportunist individuals (without the "victim mentality") to start businesses and go from dirt-poor to "rich." I am living proof of it and work every day with others who have done just that.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:41 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:

But what if you did not have a head start, or limited education, or been held (to some degree) by racism? Opportunities are not equally available as many people may think.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:53 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
But what if you did not have a head start, or limited education, or been held (to some degree) by racism? Opportunities are not equally available as many people may think.
I guess if my folks could do it, I certainly can.. their circumstances were much harsher. They lost everything - their money, their inheritance, etc. in the Cultural Revolution in China and came to the US in the early 80s (when racism towards Asians was much greater than today) with about a few hundred $'s in their pockets The only "edge" they had were college educations.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:13 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
The only "edge" they had were college educations.
...and probably their work ethic. Most Asians I know have an amazing work ethic - something that is supported by the culture. A strong work ethic contributes towards success.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:17 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
Quote:

I think many people are taking issue with the fact that this sort of climb up the ladder for the middle class is not that possible anymore. The opportunities to climb up are crumbling and the rift between the rich and middle class is widening to monumental proportions... in the next few years the gap will be too wide to cross...infact some may say that it is currently too wide.

The entry level white collar jobs are moving offshore or being replaced with cheap L1 onsite labor especially in Engineering and Science while the cost benefits of such moves are being reaped by the upper executives (Senior managers and above).

American society is becoming increasingly polarized, the middle class is going south whereas those that hold executive positions and above are moving northward.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I think many people are taking issue with the fact that this sort of climb up the ladder for the middle class is not that possible anymore. The opportunities to climb up are crumbling and the rift between the rich and middle class is widening to monumental proportions... in the next few years the gap will be too wide to cross...infact some may say that it is currently too wide.

The entry level white collar jobs are moving offshore or being replaced with cheap L1 onsite labor especially in Engineering and Science while the cost benefits of such moves are being reaped by the upper executives (Senior managers and above).

American society is becoming increasingly polarized, the middle class is going south whereas those that hold executive positions and above are moving northward.

Good Point

Old 09-29-2011, 04:55 PM

913 posts, read 872,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
This is BS. The super rich has great accountants and tax shelters. No one pays 50%. From what I found, the average income tax for the 400 richest people with average income of $345 million was 17%. On the flip side 45% of all households in the U.S. pay no income tax.

they don't personally pay 50%. i think what the poster was trying to say is that 50% of all income tax revenue comes from the rich

Old 09-30-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
they don't personally pay 50%. i think what the poster was trying to say is that 50% of all income tax revenue comes from the rich
I don't have a probelm with that since the top 10% own over 80% of the resources in this country

Old 01-13-2015, 09:06 PM

657 posts, read 695,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
Actually 100% of income taxes are paid by those making above 88k. Those under either don't pay taxes or get more than they pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics