Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 01:31 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
They are people that aren't worth anything period.

As far as who is to blame, I blame the parents of these young people also. I believe they may have bought into the myth that it takes a village to raise a child and so taking the easy way they let the village raise them instead of doing it themselves. We have become a nation of very uninvolved parents. It is as simple as staying involved in your children's decisions as long as possible and asking that they come to you before making any financial decisions that are new to them. Like for example, bank accounts, credit cards, student loans etc. 18 is legally an adult, but we all know it isn't really.

When my son was fed the college or starve idea from his high school teachers, I explained to him that education can be an asset, but there are no guarantees and you may still have to work your way up from a low paying job to start. And college is one way, some people find another way. He's one of the young people out there working as a result of being taught the right work ethic and attitude.

Parking yourself in the street and living among your own garbage just shows what an entitlement minded moron you are.
At 18, young people should be prepared for adulthood. Of course they will make mistakes, but that should be allowed to fail. How did we learn to function as adults? If you didn't work for it, you don't appreciate the value of it. If someone tells you how to live or function, you didn't really learn why those lessons are relevant. If you don't make mistakes, you don't appreciate the potential consequences that can come with those actions.

We've got to stop telling these kids they are winners. You aren't a winner until you actually win at something. We can't throw kids into the world thinking there is an easier way. You wanna eat? You gotta work for it. Simple as that. We have set this entire generation up for utter failure, and we are watching our country lose big time these days. How can we be a global leader in anything if people aren't willing to work harder than China, India, or any other country? We like to make excuses why we cannot compete. If we invested twice as much energy in overcoming our hurdles, maybe then we can reclaim our global standing and reap the middle class rewards. As it stands, we are content with McJobs and the occasional grumbling. We as a country have lost our hearts, drive and ambition. Sorry America, no raise this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Anyone who would write "these people are not worth anything at all" are the arrogant haves. Those who are hurting in some way that is tied to government policies, or educated people with social conscience, will tend to attempt reform on broad levels. It's in the history books (best to read them quick, before the history gets rewritten).
In capitalism, your only worth what someone is willing to pay you. Unfortunately, many American's ARE systemically or cyclically worthless. It is not their faults, because many skilled and knowledgeable people can't find employers to utilize this resource. At the same time, capitalism doesn't recognize flesh and bone. That's the hard truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 01:35 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Anyone who would write "these people are not worth anything at all" are the arrogant haves. Those who are hurting in some way that is tied to government policies, or educated people with social conscience, will tend to attempt reform on broad levels. It's in the history books (best to read them quick, before the history gets rewritten).
I'm a "have"? Thank you. If that is the case then anyone can become one. The two of us here, neither one has a college degree. Neither one was opposed to working at a low paying job to start out. There have been times that one or the other had more than one job. We lived on one income for years to raise children and it was a carpenters pay. How is it that we own everything free and clear, are not broke, though not rich have a financial safety net? What did it? Work and good planning, plain and simple. Those people that are protesting do not have an excuse and are owed nothing. You mention "decent" jobs. What is indecent? Besides things like prostitution or dealing drugs, I don't think jobs should be seen as indecent if you need one badly enough.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:41 PM

And to the protesters. Hey, some of you, if you look like Marilyn Manson, no one will want to hire you.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:54 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,005 times
Quote:
And to the protesters. Hey, some of you, if you look like Marilyn Manson, no one will want to hire you.
That is correct but if we had a real unemployment rate of one worker, or would be worker, in twenty out of work then there would be no protests. (5% unemployment)

Old 10-16-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
That is correct but if we had a real unemployment rate of one worker, or would be worker, in twenty out of work then there would be no protests. (5% unemployment)
I guess nothing will make you realize that a lot of people are out of work because they don't want to work.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:14 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,005 times
Quote:
I guess nothing will make you realize that a lot of people are out of work because they don't want to work.
Then those people aren't unemployed they are just not part of the workforce. As I said, "one worker or would be worker". With 5% unemployment you don't get political unrest.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:57 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,342 times
Quote:

And you know this how?? And again, where are these jobs you mentioned? I have a couple of teacher friends, some mid-managers and my son who is a degreed construction estimator who are desperately looking for jobs and they WANT to work! (Oh and my son did "humble himself" and worked a framing crew like he did in college, but was told Friday that there is no more work and some people would be let go, SO again, where are all these jobs???)

Old 10-16-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
And you know this how?? And again, where are these jobs you mentioned? I have a couple of teacher friends, some mid-managers and my son who is a degreed construction estimator who are desperately looking for jobs and they WANT to work! (Oh and my son did "humble himself" and worked a framing crew like he did in college, but was told Friday that there is no more work and some people would be let go, SO again, where are all these jobs???)
Do you really believe that all those protesters on wall street really can't find anything to do? I think the guy that refused to take a $7 dollar an hour job is pretty representative of who these people are. What's wrong with a job like that for 20 year old with no job experience and only himself to think about? If you had nothing else why not take it?

Yes, things are hard, but I don't think it is nearly as bad as what some would have you believe. For people like the protesters it is an excuse.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:48 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,924 times
Quote:
At 5% i could see your point. At 22% and rising..... get real.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:49 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,924 times
Quote:
Do you really believe that all those protesters on wall street really can't find anything to do? I think the guy that refused to take a $7 dollar an hour job is pretty representative of who these people are. What's wrong with a job like that for 20 year old with no job experience and only himself to think about? If you had nothing else why not take it?

Yes, things are hard, but I don't think it is nearly as bad as what some would have you believe. For people like the protesters it is an excuse.
$7 an hour... $235.00 per wk.?

Who are you fooking kidding? Wake up or buy an arsenal to protect your materials and life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics