U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 02-12-2012, 12:05 PM
78 posts, read 171,623 times
Reputation: 47


I need some help regarding filing my taxes:

I was laid off in Oct 2010 from my job in Illinois. In Feb 2011 my family and I moved to Florida (no state taxes) to be closer to my parents and established residency and have our place. I am receiving unemployment wages still from Illinois since that is where I held my previous job and I am having state taxes garnished. Here is my question:

Since I only lived in Illinois for 1.5 months in 2011 before changing residency, do I still need to have state tax garnished since I no longer live in Illinois? Reason I am asking is I went to file my taxes and it says I owe quite a bit of money to State of Illinois but with TaxAct software you can put that you were partial resident and pay partial taxes and it has you break down how much you made during the time you lived in this state which would bring down the amount I owe substantially.

Sorry if this sounds confusing!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Location: home state of Myrtle Beach!
6,415 posts, read 20,276,607 times
Reputation: 3628
Yes, you would claim as a part-year resident in Illinois.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 04:47 AM
3,882 posts, read 10,174,562 times
Reputation: 7837
Question: Garnished is a term we used for collecting prior year taxes already determined to be owed. "Withholding" is a term used for holding back a portion of some income to pay for current year taxes. Which is the deduction from your unemployment?

If garnished, changing residency is not a factor. Just clarifying what the true issue is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2012, 08:21 AM
591 posts, read 2,183,451 times
Reputation: 423
I think the OP meant he is having state tax withheld from his unemployment checks as sweetana3 mentioned. Typically wages are garnished by a court order when you have a judgement against you for failure to pay taxes are debt.

Since you are now a Florida resident, you do not need to have IL state tax withheld. You will need to file taxes in IL for 2011 as a part year resident and file as a non-resident in IL for 2012 to get your money back.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top