Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 02:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse276 View Post
???

Japan has a ratio of public debt nearly twice what Ireland does. The premium is based on a premium to prime european (think german) debt. Where do you get your... 'information' ?
at what point do you think ireland is supposed to pay a better rate than it is now? they made some cuts but they arent out of the woods. in fact, they will likely fall along with the rest of the PIIGS, then the rest of europe. id expect german debt will have to take a hit, its really not as safe as the current rate reflects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 02:07 PM

762 posts, read 1,100,040 times
Default No pain, no gain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828
Many economists agree with Krugman that MORE government investment would have been needed to turn things around faster here.
I would add that many respectable economists agree with Krugman.

IMHO, the problem with these guys is their motto that the Economy’s health is paramount—society’s well being comes 2nd. Their convincing logic is a healthy Economy means a healthy populace. However, this logic doesn’t work unless you raise taxes & pay down some deficits during the good times. For whatever reason, NOBODY wants to pay down some deficits during the good times!

Since the Corporations’ are in the driver’s seat, via oversupply of workers & low aggregate demand, is it any wonder why they’re sitting on cash/waiting for the Gov’t to supply ALL the investment for jobs?

I just hope our Gov’t/US citizen can hold the line & compel the Corporations to share/cooperate in the cost for investing in job creation. “Austerity” isn’t painless, but the Country(s) need to break free from this exploitive situation we’re in IMHO.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:08 PM

711 posts, read 1,690,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
at what point do you think ireland is supposed to pay a better rate than it is now? they made some cuts but they arent out of the woods. in fact, they will likely fall along with the rest of the PIIGS, then the rest of europe. id expect german debt will have to take a hit, its really not as safe as the current rate reflects.
Where is your source? What information are you using?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Where is your source? What information are you using?
you would have to be very dim to not see that i was giving my opinion and simply basing it on information anyone can find in a few seconds.

but your original point is silly anyway. ireland bailed out its banks and in return needed an EU/IMF bailout. that hurts your ability to borrow. this all happened relatively recently and you seem to think that their budget improvements should cause an immediate and severe reduction in their borrowing rates. thats being very naive. but they have seen a reduction in their rates over the past 1-1.5 years. so you are basically wrong anyway. its just kind of funny how you choose to have no patience because you dont seem to want to believe that a sound budget will help resolve the problems. i just looked back, they were bailed out in november of 2010. thats about 1.5 years ago.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
you would have to be very dim to not see that i was giving my opinion and simply basing it on information anyone can find in a few seconds.

but your original point is silly anyway. ireland bailed out its banks and in return needed an EU/IMF bailout. that hurts your ability to borrow. this all happened relatively recently and you seem to think that their budget improvements should cause an immediate and severe reduction in their borrowing rates. thats being very naive. but they have seen a reduction in their rates over the past 1-1.5 years. so you are basically wrong anyway. its just kind of funny how you choose to have no patience because you dont seem to want to believe that a sound budget will help resolve the problems. i just looked back, they were bailed out in november of 2010. thats about 1.5 years ago.
It's interesting that you choose to call names and put words in my mouth. You also don't give any sources for your 'common' information. That reeks of desperation.

So, back to what I actually said, when can Ireland expect to see a payoff from 'confidence'?

Old 05-12-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
It's interesting that you choose to call names and put words in my mouth. You also don't give any sources for your 'common' information. That reeks of desperation.

So, back to what I actually said, when can Ireland expect to see a payoff from 'confidence'?
when they have earned it. like i said, they were bailed out by the IMF/EU 1.5 years ago, your point is weak.

oh but im sure they would have been so much better off if they had denied the bailout along with budget cutting required for it and instead printed more money and increased spending. they would be so much better off.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
when they have earned it. like i said, they were bailed out by the IMF/EU 1.5 years ago, your point is weak.

oh but im sure they would have been so much better off if they had denied the bailout along with budget cutting required for it and instead printed more money and increased spending. they would be so much better off.
It's not clear if you're using sarcasm. Also, when will the countries be rewarded? 6 months? 18? 5 years? 15? What's the timeframe?

Old 05-12-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
It's not clear if you're using sarcasm. Also, when will the countries be rewarded? 6 months? 18? 5 years? 15? What's the timeframe?

nobody knows the answer to that question and nobody even knows whats going to happen to anyone in the future. france just got rid of sarkozy and that caused global markets to tank this past week. none of those countries are operating in a vacuum and nobody knows when countries will be "rewarded" for their "better" behavior. we can only take the information out there and give our best guesses. but the notion that ireland was bailed out 1.5 years ago and you are complaining that they still have to borrow at a higher rate than other euro countries seems a bit ridiculous to me. if you filed bankruptcy how long do you suppose you should be paying higher interest rates on loans for?

the logic that increasing government spending would help the situation seems insane to me. these countries dont want austerity but then what happens when you dont get the loan because you cant control your spending? what will the public employees do when the government cant make a payroll?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
nobody knows the answer to that question and nobody even knows whats going to happen to anyone in the future. france just got rid of sarkozy and that caused global markets to tank this past week. none of those countries are operating in a vacuum and nobody knows when countries will be "rewarded" for their "better" behavior. we can only take the information out there and give our best guesses. but the notion that ireland was bailed out 1.5 years ago and you are complaining that they still have to borrow at a higher rate than other euro countries seems a bit ridiculous to me. if you filed bankruptcy how long do you suppose you should be paying higher interest rates on loans for?

the logic that increasing government spending would help the situation seems insane to me. these countries dont want austerity but then what happens when you dont get the loan because you cant control your spending? what will the public employees do when the government cant make a payroll?
If nobody knows the answer, why base policy on the confidence fairy? Sure, a government can wait out the downturn, leaving millions of people under/un-employed. That does real long term damage to the economy, country & its people.

This is not an inflationary downturn, this is a deflationary downturn that needs large stimulus to jump start it. Likening international finance & economic policy to a household budget reveals exactly where your simpled minded ideas are coming from.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
If nobody knows the answer, why base policy on the confidence fairy? Sure, a government can wait out the downturn, leaving millions of people under/un-employed. That does real long term damage to the economy, country & its people.

This is not an inflationary downturn, this is a deflationary downturn that needs large stimulus to jump start it. Likening international finance & economic policy to a household budget reveals exactly where your simpled minded ideas are coming from.
you dont have a choice. nobody knows any answers for exactly how to solve the problem. so you have to weigh the information and make the best decision you can. but you dont have any guarantees no matter what you do.

no, "large stimulus" is not needed. that will just increase debt and have no net benefit. once the government spending stops, you lose any benefit and now you are sitting on an even bigger pile of debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics