Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 05:25 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

It's pretty simple. If you are majoring in something with an ROI such as chemical engineering, feel free to rack up $80,000 in student debt. But if you're going to major in Social Work and ring up $200,000 at some private college while you do it, I really have no sympathy for you. None whatsoever.
+1.
Student loans are what you make of them. I wouldn't be where I am without student loans. In fact, as far as investments go, it was the best $250K (plus interest) I ever spent.

And you know what else? If my career wasn't a career where I knew I could pay the loans back, I would have chosen a different career. Life is about choices. If you make bad choices in life you will always lose money, and believe it or not, the government wasnt created to fix people's screw ups.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 08-12-2012 at 05:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 06:43 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
I don't understand why there is even a question. It's a loan. Pay it back.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:48 AM

981 posts, read 1,621,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I don't understand why there is even a question. It's a loan. Pay it back.
Why should I pay my debts back when the rich obviously don't have to pay their debts back? GM, Chrysler, big banks, and other institutions get free rides. If it is okay for them to not pay debts, then I won't pay my debts either. I will be paying for their debts through taxation. So it stands to reason that I shouldn't even give a crap about my debt.

Last edited by BadJuju; 08-12-2012 at 07:29 AM..

Old 08-12-2012, 07:50 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Nope. Especially when they decide to get their degree in Renaissance French Poetry from an Ivy League school to the tune of $175,000 in student loan debt. Hey, I'm a liberal arts major myself. But c'mon.
yep, even though education is way more expensive than it should be, there are still choices in schools to go to with a large variation in costs. no sense in going to a super expensive school to go into a career that doesnt pay a lot. a lot of people seem to feel entitled to go to whatever school they wish to regardless of the cost. now the talk of them not having to pay the money back is offensive. that money did come from somewhere and it will be missed if it isnt paid back with interest.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:03 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
I don't believe in complete forgiveness. The government shouldn't pay for all of the debt, but they should pay off 40 to 60% of the debt. People are correct when they say it isn't the government's responsibility to cover for people's stupid decisions (just like they shouldn't cover for the mistakes of corporations, who are considered people), but it is necessary to give people the financial breathing room to have money to buy goods and real estate to jump start the economy. It is a necessary evil.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:09 PM

805 posts, read 1,872,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I don't believe in complete forgiveness. The government shouldn't pay for all of the debt, but they should pay off 40 to 60% of the debt.
The Government has no money..the US Govt is already almost $16 trillion in debt. If we forgive student loan either the Govt will have to borrow more money or raise taxes.

Yeah, why not lets just borrow another trillion from the Chinese....after all we are going to default anyway. If we are going to default we may as well squeeze every trillion out of it we can.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:18 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
Why should I pay my debts back when the rich obviously don't have to pay their debts back? GM, Chrysler, big banks, and other institutions get free rides. If it is okay for them to not pay debts, then I won't pay my debts either. I will be paying for their debts through taxation. So it stands to reason that I shouldn't even give a crap about my debt.
Did you skip ethics class? You pay it back because you contracted to do so. Your post says a lot about your character. Bad juju indeed.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:39 PM

981 posts, read 1,621,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Did you skip ethics class? You pay it back because you contracted to do so. Your post says a lot about your character. Bad juju indeed.
No, it says a lot about an unfair system. Why should I pay back my debts when other people don't have to? Why are there two sets of rules?

Old 08-12-2012, 01:17 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
People who take student loans get themselves into this mess. If you can't afford college or are not able to go on merit, you take on the risks at your own choice.

Why do we allow anyone and everyone to attend college? It used to be that only the brightest and wealthiest attended college. Somewhere it changed to everyone being allowed to go into debt to go to college. Not only did this create the student loan problem, but it also changed the job market for college graduates. Now there's too many.
Why do we allow anyone and everyone 18+ to obtain credit cards? Charge as much as you want and if you can't pay go ahead and discharge.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i think student loan forgiveness is like plea bargaining. there is no justice in it. but if you make student loans dischargable. these so called universities, aka good for nothing fake white collar trade schools, will fold overnight. the name of the game is w/o debt get some training and get a job. a trade dont leave home w/o it. y generation needs to get out of the credential biz and get into the job biz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics