Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:37 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,823,674 times

Advertisements

My husband's had this happen more than once. A store that accepts VISA does not accept his VISA card that's drawn from a local bank. Can they seriously pick and choose which VISA cards they will accept? That doesn't seem right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 06:13 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Visa offers through its issuing members the following types of cards:
They all say "Visa" on them. Which type do you have?

Old 09-17-2012, 06:19 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
I agree with MrR -- if you asking about a "credit card" I believe the "merchant processing agreements" that the store / seller agrees to forbides them from saying "we only we accept a Capital One Visa" or something. If is a debit card similarly the terms forbide the merchant from saying "only Chase Debit". Ditto with even a "prepaid card" -- one from WeeTown Bank and Trust is just as good as one from Bank of America...

Of course a merchant DOES NOT have to accept each category of card -- some merchants don't want the fees / payment terms of credit/debit/prepaid and are withing their rights to exclude a whole category.

Sounds like you are saying they only want a "major bank" but don't care about category. This is a no-no.

This should be brought to the attention of your bank ASAP. If the facts are as you describe I would also contact one of those "class action consumer discrimination" attorneys. You will likely be able to get a case together that will make the attorney VERY rich...

Old 09-17-2012, 10:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
A store can refuse to accept credit cards, even though they accept debit cards. Dollar General is one chain that got tired of the ever-rising fees charged the merchant on credit transactions, and they refuse to accept MC credit cards.

I don't know if they still do, but Sam's Club used to just point to an ATM machine in the corner if people tendered a credit card for their purchase.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:10 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,168,835 times
why wouldnt this be right? it's absurd anyone would have the audacity to think a store is wrong for not taking credit cards they don't want to take.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:40 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Although it's not common practice, a store can refuse to take certain credit cards, refuse checks, even refuse cash, etc. They're free to make rules like this although it may affect their final profits..

Old 09-17-2012, 08:04 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,823,674 times
It's a regular credit card, not debit, not prepaid. I just never heard of stores saying they accept VISA but then not accepting certain VISA cards. I thought they would have to make it known what they do and don't accept. I've never known any place to refuse cash. If they don't take checks, they let you know.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:27 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
It's a regular credit card, not debit, not prepaid. I just never heard of stores saying they accept VISA but then not accepting certain VISA cards. I thought they would have to make it known what they do and don't accept. I've never known any place to refuse cash. If they don't take checks, they let you know.
Maybe that banks been pissing people off, given it's a local bank.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
They aren't allowed to. If a merchant accepts the Visa logo, they must accept all credit cards bearing the logo. They do not have to accept debit transactions if they do not have a pin pad.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:11 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
It's a regular credit card, not debit, not prepaid. I just never heard of stores saying they accept VISA but then not accepting certain VISA cards.
It sounds like they are in violation of their merchant agreement with Visa. If they accept any Visa credit cards they must accept all Visa credit cards, subject to normal validation requirements.

I'm sure Visa does not know about this. You should notify them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics