Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:34 AM

332 posts, read 528,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Rent a room near work.
Go to classes at the CC in whatever county that is.

Get the DL too.
When you can afford it... buy a used car.
Well I will go for the driver's license. But though the independent living program I'm at is the next county over from my job (and the same county as the college), I'm staying there at least until March 1, 2014. I'll just extend my lease when it expires March 1 next year. The rent is cheap and not as much as even some cheap apartments, so by staying at my current program and taking the bus for now ensures that I would save a lot of money for future plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 03:42 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Renting a car is a great way to go if you only use one occasionally. If you live and work so that you don't need a car most days, rent when you do. Usually that is on weekends when rates are lower. You mention a half-hour walk from the bus station. Have you considered a bicycle? Here in Northern IL you can take a bike on the bus.

Last edited by pvande55; 12-23-2012 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Add bike note

Old 12-26-2012, 04:01 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Yeah, it's okay to buy a used car, sometimes it makes the most sense, considering how quickly new
cars lose their value.
In that case we should also buy a used toilet, used food and used cloths..

-seriously

Old 12-26-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post

-seriously
Used clothes, good idea since their value drops to almost zero once they are worn. Used food, not advisable, though some homeless rely on dumpster diving. Used toilet, why not?

Old 12-28-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post

-seriously
Now that's disgusting. Lmao

Old 12-28-2012, 05:00 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
The Enterprise weekend special is a good deal. make sure you understand which days it starts and ends. if you bring the car back after it ends, then you pay full price.

I used their weekend special many times and was always happy. But I had my own auto insurance from my own car, so did not purchase it as an extra charge from Enterprise.

If you dont have auto insurance, you have to buy it from Enterprise. It might cost more than the 9.99 per day. Check the insurance cost before you decide to rent.

Always return the car with a full tank of gas instead of getting their option (at time of pickup) to buy gas ahead and return with an empty tank. nobody drives around with a near empty tank, so you "give" free gas to them if you turn the car in with any gas in it...often half a tank. Just say no thanks when they ask if you want to pre-purchase gas.

Just make sure they mark the gas guage on the paperwork correctly. I had a different agency mark the paperwork as FULL when the car had half tank. I make them change it, else I had to return car with full tank. You are supposed to return the car with the exact amt of gas it had when you picked it up.

Renting a can can be fun. You get to drive new cars and it comes in handly if you dont want to put miles (for a trip) on your own car...or if you don't actuall have a car. I used to rent cars for every trip rather than put miles on my personal car.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:42 AM

Out of curiosity, how many gallons is a full tank of gas usually?

Old 12-30-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael212 View Post
Out of curiosity, how many gallons is a full tank of gas usually?
Trick question as there is no standard gas tank size in the U.S. I have seen anywhere from six to 26, standard factory equipment.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:56 AM

I know 3 of the different types of gas they have are super, diesel, and regular. Regular costs the least right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics