Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:35 AM

45 posts, read 183,582 times

Advertisements

Whenever we saw someone earned their first million within short time without much effort, we always claimed that those are lucky!
But do you believe in luck will lead you to become a millionaire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 11:33 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Woo View Post
Whenever we saw someone earned their first million within short time without much effort, we always claimed that those are lucky!
Anyone who believes luck has anything to do with it, I'll be more then happy to have them assist my luck. My 15 hour days for the last 3 years is getting tiresom. Luck only comes into play when you inherit it..

Old 10-29-2007, 12:17 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Anyone who believes luck has anything to do with it, I'll be more then happy to have them assist my luck. My 15 hour days for the last 3 years is getting tiresom. Luck only comes into play when you inherit it..
There are plenty of people who have become "lucky" millionaires on the web. They certainly make up the minority of wealthy people, but it happens.

Now anyone who counts on luck to make them a millionaire is likely in for a very rude awakening.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:01 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
Lucky to me, would be someone that couldn't do it again if they started from scratch.

Some big actors probably fall into that category. I don't know much about the business, how actors/actresses get roles, or what goes on behind closed doors.

But it seems like there's alot of luck involved in that business. If your movie comes out on the wrong weekend, and bombs, then that affects your next few roles.

Say Julia Roberts. If Pretty Woman doesn't make it big, then does she get, My Best Friends Wedding? If that doesnt go....does she get Erin Brockovich and down the line. I dont know.

And then on the web...guys like Mark Cuban. Don't know...

Old 10-29-2007, 01:07 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
And then on the web...guys like Mark Cuban. Don't know...
I agree with your general sentiment, but Cuban doesn't fit the bill. He's a very smart guy that has a gift for recognizing trends ahead of time, then capitalizing on them. He's had his fair share of duds along the way, but he's a pretty astute businessman.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:26 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
Quote:
I am friends with multimillionaires who readily told their stories to me and they claim that it really was just luck that they made their first millions. They even advise others not to worry so much about how to make a lot of money, but that instead with hard work and some luck it'll just happen. They claim that if it doesn't then people shouldn't be depressed about it as money does not equate to happiness.

I believe they really believe what they're saying, but then again, the two guys I am thinking of are smart, rational, in shape, hard working, articulate, and I don't think those things should be discounted.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:05 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
The only time I believe in luck when becoming a millionaire is when you win the lottery or when you have win the "genetics lottery" having parents with $$$.

Otherwise I believe it has to do with your choices in life and taking advantage of opportunities that come your way.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:49 PM

188 posts, read 989,430 times
85% of ALL MILLIONAIRES Weren't Lucky! They inherited nothing! A good credit score isn't luck, knowing how to write a business plan isn't luck. If you think it's luck, I think you'll have little luck becoming a millionaire.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
no.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-29-2007, 08:45 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
'Luck' may play a very tiny part of the entire equation.

Hard work plays a bigger part.

Timing plays a part.

Living frugal and only borrowing money when it will make more money, plays a part.

Sharp tax-planning so you never again pay income taxes, in a part.

But what do I know? I am done already, I retired at 42.

Let the kids have their turn at the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics