Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 03:04 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times

Advertisements

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...NUY9Qjk9lp_EKg
In 2010 Jamie Dimon said that we could most probably expect another market crash in 2015.
This is approx. 7 years after the beginning of the crash of 2008-2009.
In recent years many people including Harry Dent, David Stockman, Peter Schiff, and Michael Pento have all pointed to 2015 as the year of the next crash.
While we all know that crashes are part of the economic cycle and one is coming at some point down the road, is there any reason to believe that 2015 will be an especially critical year?
Some people point to the building bond bubble being created by the Fed as the catalyst of the next crash.
While bubbles are usually a cause of over investment by the public using borrowed money, I suppose the Fed could theoretically replace the public by becoming the primary market and causing a bubble by themselves.
I would like to hear some educated thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 03:36 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
There is no thought that can be made to counter the blind belif of economic crashes.

The prediction had no data, evidence, or anything else but the opinion of a single person. One would need hundreds, if not thousands, of pages to list out all predictions about economic collapse (or end of the world) that have been made...that have all been proven wrong. The Economic Collapse Blog lists new ones out every single day.

There is no evidence that 2015 will be any different then any other year. Wishing or dreading it to be will not change what happens in reality. All this desperation for the next economic collapse is making me wonder how sad must a person's life be that they spend every day thinking about everything ending as a better solution then living life.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:49 PM

795 posts, read 1,391,646 times
Here's an educated thought.

If Dimon/Dent/Bernanke/The Pope/God all put out predictions of the weather for every day in 2015, would you believe them?

In the U.S., someone predicts a future market crash every 12 seconds.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:58 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
I have read the article about Jamie Dimon telling his daugher approx. every 5 years there is a crash in the US it's the nature of capitalism, boom bust, boom bust.

Dimon has access to info, insider info that makes him a lot more credible than Harry Dent. Dent and Schiff are fringe character Dimon no.

The housing market is slowly turning bubble right now.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:33 PM

5,477 posts, read 6,305,303 times
Is anyone else as tired of hearing the word "bubble" as I am?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:05 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Is anyone else as tired of hearing the word "bubble" as I am?
Yes.

I dont think there are going to be any "crashes" or "bubbles". Or mass layoffs or anything of the like. I dont think anything that drastic is in the cards outside of a major world event.

Larger companies are very aware of world economic conditions. They just lived through 2008 and are prepared for a similar event. They have a lot of cash, are not bloated, and arent overextending themselves. Theres not much potential for a "crash"

Old 05-15-2013, 09:29 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
So sounds like the OP is predicting a crash in 2015. Must be because his predictions of a crash in 2011, 2012 and 2013 have proved to be so accurate!

Old 05-15-2013, 10:43 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,387,674 times
2010 was three years ago. A lot has changed in three years. The real question: is Dimon's comment still relevant?

How do you define a "crash"? 10% correction? 30% correction? 50% correction?

Obviously the market can't go straight up and there will be pullbacks. But anyone salivating about a 2008-style meltdown is probably going to be disappointed. I don't see the same irrational exuberance that led to the 2000 dot com bust and the 2008 economic crisis. There are so many bears still screaming about the next crash or the end of QE, many of them probably reeling because they were shorting the market before the big runup.

Fundamentally, most companies have a healthier balance sheet now than before the crash. Most have been right-sized. Many have been conservative in their growth forecasts. It's easy to listen to some fool throw a dart at a board, but it takes a lot more effort to follow earnings releases and production forecasts. The forecasts by Ford or GE's CEO hold more weight than some doomsayer trying to sell a book.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:05 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...NUY9Qjk9lp_EKg
In 2010 Jamie Dimon said that we could most probably expect another market crash in 2015.
This is approx. 7 years after the beginning of the crash of 2008-2009.
In recent years many people including Harry Dent, David Stockman, Peter Schiff, and Michael Pento have all pointed to 2015 as the year of the next crash.
While we all know that crashes are part of the economic cycle and one is coming at some point down the road, is there any reason to believe that 2015 will be an especially critical year?
Some people point to the building bond bubble being created by the Fed as the catalyst of the next crash.
While bubbles are usually a cause of over investment by the public using borrowed money, I suppose the Fed could theoretically replace the public by becoming the primary market and causing a bubble by themselves.
Bottom line is that no one really knows. Another crash will probably happen. I thought it would have all totally crashed by now, but I was wrong. I still feel that our economy is inherently unstable and could be crashed at any time...but I don't know the timing of it.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:06 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
2010 was three years ago. A lot has changed in three years. The real question: is Dimon's comment still relevant?

How do you define a "crash"? 10% correction? 30% correction? 50% correction?

Obviously the market can't go straight up and there will be pullbacks. But anyone salivating about a 2008-style meltdown is probably going to be disappointed. I don't see the same irrational exuberance that led to the 2000 dot com bust and the 2008 economic crisis. There are so many bears still screaming about the next crash or the end of QE, many of them probably reeling because they were shorting the market before the big runup.

Fundamentally, most companies have a healthier balance sheet now than before the crash. Most have been right-sized. Many have been conservative in their growth forecasts. It's easy to listen to some fool throw a dart at a board, but it takes a lot more effort to follow earnings releases and production forecasts. The forecasts by Ford or GE's CEO hold more weight than some doomsayer trying to sell a book.
It's definitely true that corporate balance sheets are a lot stronger...but government balance sheets are much weaker, not just in the U.S. but throughout the developed world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics