Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2020, 04:32 PM

21,934 posts, read 9,508,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
You cannot afford anything you you like, even though you work harder than most and deserve more!

Being poor is like a vicious cycle, it's extremley hard to get out of, despite what people say.
You deserve a new car. And a mansion!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Hahaa anyone who thinks a worthless POS paper/certificate will make them rich is obviously well beyond their head.

Lets face it, the rich profit from the poor being poor.

And that's the way it is. Poor and poverty line grade of people outnumber the 'well off' and really I think it's time to blame the system. Not the individuals.
Yes, we should have way more rich people than poor people. And we should start by cutting you a BIG check.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
The world is a different place now than it was 30 years ago. Something the older "haves" aren't realizing or admitting. It's too easy to view those that are struggling as lazy, whining, or unmotivated and if only they would (fill in the blanks) like they did, the poor would prosper. It's part of the "I did it, why can't you?" mentality.

What people fail to see is that the playing field is not the same as it was years ago. My FIL worked in a factory his whole life, was able to buy a home, support 8 kids and a wife, and retired with a hefty pension, all on an 8th grade education. Not to mention he paid 8,000 for his home which he later sold for over $200,000. Those days are GONE.

When companies pay dirt poor wages despite record profits and when investors snap up homes for a song and then charge high rent, it makes it very difficult to do much more than live paycheck to paycheck. Yes, life choices have a lot to do with financial success in life, but you can't ignore the current economic atmosphere in this country, either. If it were so easy to get ahead, there would not be as many people hovering near or at poverty levels in the US.
Take an economics class and learn how labor markets work.

Here are some hints:

Import lots of no skilled illegal laborers.
Give HUGE amounts of low than market college loans to people to pay for degrees that are useless.
Tell low income people that they deserve to be paid a high min wage even though they have no skills.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:09 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
Didnt the Trump admin want to make some adjustments to long term capital gains?
say you bought a house way back for $8k and sold for $200k,what is that 8k worth today,?
say if it was a stock ,then you pay long term capital gain of 192K,but that $8k has more buying power then than the 8k now,is it fair that you have to pay capital gain tax on 192K?
They are talking abiut adjusting that $8k to today value,it is probably more like $80K?

Old 12-27-2020, 05:17 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
As to 8th grader working in a factory and make enough to buy a house and support kids and wife,society keeps moving forward,technology improves our standard of living,we enjoy more conveniences than before,we have carpet nor bare floor,we drink orange juice and coffee in the morning,we have coffee maker and buy Folger coffee in supermarket ,no need to go to a diner ,we have refrigerator so we dont have to wack our parents telling us to eat moldy food like you know who,we dont walk or ride bus,we drive our own vehicle ,we dont listen to radio,we have color TV in every room,all these come from people who invent them,and we have to pay for such.
low tech,low skill jobs are tranferred to less developed countries,they in turn buy computers,airplanes,tractors from us,what is that called in economics,comparative advantage?
we have to constantly upgrade,renew,our skills,make them marketable,I know it is hard,old dogs do not easily learn new tricks,so we have t o have a contingency plan.
BTW,I am typing on my PC now,not laptop,not smart phone ,just a plain old HP pc.
I dont have a smart phone,so I cant download APPS,how long can I postpone getting a cell phone?

Old 12-27-2020, 05:29 PM

11,482 posts, read 6,008,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Seriously? I have seen tent cities. I guess that is roof of sorts, but if you ever spent few days camping in rain with tent..... Or I guess for the cynical, even a hat or umbrella or plastic shopping bag could be a roof.... But think poor in other countries wouldnt be impressed.

What the poor dont have access to is land to put up a permanent shanty that can stand up to weather better. They are forced to pay the rich man most of any earnings for living space or live in public spaces in tent or box or raw under the stars.

Poverty is almost never the reason for chronic homelessness. It is almost always due to drug addiction and mental illness. There are more than enough safety that provide for people who just have zero money and zero income. The housing projects are filled with such people, who have no money and no income. It is a horrible way to live, but they are not living in tents on the street.

It is a huge misconception to think the chronic homeless on the street are merely poor. Far from it. They are narcotic addicted or mentally ill or both.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:51 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Poverty is almost never the reason for chronic homelessness. It is almost always due to drug addiction and mental illness. There are more than enough safety that provide for people who just have zero money and zero income. The housing projects are filled with such people, who have no money and no income. It is a horrible way to live, but they are not living in tents on the street.

It is a huge misconception to think the chronic homeless on the street are merely poor. Far from it. They are narcotic addicted or mentally ill or both.

Tell that to the working middle class in California living in their cars. Jeesh, keep spreading the lie that all homeless are mentally ill. Well if you believe that, are you buttonholing Moscow Mitch to pony up and fund mental health care including supervised mental health residencies?? Well are YOU? Just saying its all mental health issues doesnt prove it or disprove it and doesnt nothing for those mentally ill and those that truly cant afford housing. I am betting with your attitude you are clueless to what rentals, especially in bigger cities cost. Believe me its not the cold water flat for $25 a month anymore. That went out with Eisenhower.

So did the hobo life immortalized in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrhAC0dFis0

Old 12-27-2020, 07:02 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
How are they supposed to get there, Rocko? Low income neighborhoods are typically food deserts, where inflated convenience store prices are all that are available. If you can't afford to drive, you are screwed.
I lived in one, it's a matter of a bus ride which is a pain, yes, but not what people just reading about it think.

And there was fruit and such at the bodega.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:10 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
your failure to launch is on you, not me. Keep struggling or try to do something about it. Please be quiet about it whatever you decide, I'm tired of hearing the whimpering.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:14 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
your failure to launch is on you, not me. Keep struggling or try to do something about it. Please be quiet about it whatever you decide, I'm tired of hearing the whimpering.
Or it is not if you come from a poor background, have low intelligence, a disability and so on. It is easier to just stick your head in the sand and continue to blame others so
you can selfishly continue your life and not be bothered by others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics