Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 07:00 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

The coffee giant vows to maintain its pace of opening an average of six stores a day. But some analysts think sales of $4 lattes will suffer if the economy falters.

With its affluent customer base and uncanny knack for drawing crowds, Starbucks has long seemed immune to the slowdowns that plague most retailers when the economy falters.

But the king of the $4 coffee is feeling the pinch now. Dairy prices have skyrocketed, fast-food chains have made it easier to find a good cup of joe, and traffic in U.S. stores has flattened amid high fuel prices and turmoil in the housing and credit markets.

Trouble brewing for Starbucks? - MSN Money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 08:02 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Default Ruined

Now that starbuck is in a little bit of trouble I can have the confidence to say with all certantly. WERE ALL DOOMED THE COUNTRIES ECOMOMY IS RUINED! RUINED! RUINED! BAWHAHAHAHAH (crying)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................BAWHAHAHA HA!

Old 11-17-2007, 08:58 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The coffee giant vows to maintain its pace of opening an average of six stores a day. But some analysts think sales of $4 lattes will suffer if the economy falters.

With its affluent customer base and uncanny knack for drawing crowds, Starbucks has long seemed immune to the slowdowns that plague most retailers when the economy falters.

But the king of the $4 coffee is feeling the pinch now. Dairy prices have skyrocketed, fast-food chains have made it easier to find a good cup of joe, and traffic in U.S. stores has flattened amid high fuel prices and turmoil in the housing and credit markets.

I for one, stopped buying lattes several months ago. I brew my own coffee every morning and on occasion will spend $1.60 on a small coffee at Peet's.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:02 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Starbucks is sucky and overpriced; they deserve to be in trouble.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:41 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Maybe if Starbucks made a decent cuppa....they wouldn't have declining sales.....there's too much competition now and they're getting[GETTING?] too arrogant.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:54 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
The only thing that would really and truly depress me about the apocalypse would be being unable to find an operating Starbucks. I'd be pissed.

I love Starbucks, I go there at least twice every day

Old 11-19-2007, 08:38 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

There's nothing shocking here. This exemplifies the problems with Corporate entities. They by design are always seeking to increase profit even when they already have a lot - corporations as business entities are like psychotic people unable to control their primary impulse.. Of course the growth and profit acceleration of Starbucks will come to a close... it's just a fact. How long until it happens, well that is another question.

They will of course try to do what McDonald's has done... decrease the portions of everything they sell, streamline their supply chain, and decrease costs as much as possible. McDonald's has done exceptionally well despite reaching a point where they had to slow down expansion in the US... they're now expanding globally in new places. Perhaps someday Starbucks will merge with another corporate entity like McDonalds so as to diversify and strengthen their product/service line. Oh well, big deal.

This is simply the way corporations operate. Starbucks is now like a blue-chip stock, it may change over time but it will likely never go away. They are the largest buyer of coffee beans in the world and have been for years now (much like how Wal-mart is the largest buyer of consumer goods) and as such an entire global market now relies upon their success. Aside from that, Starbucks has something most businesses don't have going for them. Starbucks sells an addictive drug which is legal almost everywhere world-wide.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:13 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
The American public is an interesting animal. We will moan and groan about the rising cost of gas yet we stand (not all) panting at the nearest Starbucks for that $4 latte.

When I want a cup of coffee, I want a really superb cup of coffee so I generally brew my own. Btw Starbucks is just starting their first ad campaign.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:28 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,758,845 times
No wonder Schultz sold the Sonics to billionaires in OKC....He is strapped for cash!! Now Seattle fans can check him off their list of gripes and whines over the Sonics.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:16 AM

746 posts, read 3,499,968 times
Not even our Universe is capable of expanding forever. One day it will all come crashing back.

So it was for Woolworths.

So it was for A&P

So it is for Sears Roebuck & Company

So it is for Blockbuster, Movie Gallery and Hollywood rental operations

So it will be for WalMart.

Even Starbucks can't overcome the forces of change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics