Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 02:08 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,191,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
For checking out non-profits, i like Charity Navigator-

Charity Navigator - America's Largest Charity Evaluator | Home

Lets you get an idea of which ones actually use a high percentage of their money for program expenses, and who carries a lot of overhead. Some good ones- Fisher House (military) and The V Foundation (cancer).
This. Personally, I don't have a problem with charities advertising. After all, an organization such as the American Red Cross has to raise untold billions in order to fulfill their missions. To me, the question becomes, how effectively do they use their receipts? That's the litmus test. Charity Navigator does a pretty good job of giving you guidance.

That being said, I keep this list taped up on the inside cabinet door above the telephone. Whenever I get a telephone solicitor, I check this list. If this is one of those lists calling, I give them what for.

America's Worst Charities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 03:43 PM

44 posts, read 64,507 times
Do I trust them? 99% no. I donate to local ones I know plus I sponsor a child through a highly rated charity that afaik never advertises on TV (Compassion International, if you want to know... It's a Christian one but that's not why I picked it.)

Old 04-07-2014, 05:50 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,121,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Donate locally. Most local charities are run by volunteers not administrators making fortunes.

Compensation for CEOs for the following charities:

Unicef: $472,891

Red Cross: $561,000

United Way: $717,076

Goodwill: $725,000

(source: snopes.com: Executive Salaries in Charities scroll half way down for the accurate numbers)
You have to pay for a good CEO. I think these CEOs are underpaid.

Yes, I trust the commercials. In my area, everyone advertises. I see Heart Association and SPCA commercials all the time.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:55 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,750,103 times
Seems like after every major event , the head of the Red Cross is asked to resign

9/11 and Katrina

Old 04-07-2014, 06:42 PM

88,636 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot View Post
For the most part no. There are sites that help determine how well a charity behaves. My choice has been to directly donate, where possible.
Same here. I will give to my local animal shelter and to real people directly without a middleman. I like to buy food on sale for food pantries rather than give money if I can't know how the money is spent and who is overseeing it.

Just recently, a food pantry run by a church that is supported by the church I attend let it be known that they'd rather have cash donations than the usual non-perishable food that we usually give. The reasoning is supposedly that the patrons are complaining when they all don't get the exact same stuff in their bags or they don't like what the food pantry has on its shelves.

There are other food pantries and soup kitchens in the area, so I will move on. But TV charities? I don't THINK so. Same with all those people who send advertisements to my mailbox begging for money.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:15 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,701,180 times
Charity begins at home. Give to your local homeless shelters, animal shelters, or food banks. If your donation goes more than 50 miles, it's going into somebody's pocket instead of to a worthy cause. No, you can't trust TV hucksters. Why would you ever think you could?

Old 04-08-2014, 05:02 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,311,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You have to pay for a good CEO. I think these CEOs are underpaid.
Go ahead and tell us why the CEO of a charity should make more than 10 times the average salary of an American worker.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:06 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,431,040 times
No and I HATE those heart tugging commercials that always make everyone in the room enter an awkward 40 second silence.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:13 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,411,735 times
No I don't trust them. They misuse the money donated to them. I would rather find someone local who is in need. Children and animals top my list. Adults get themselves into many of their bad situations.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:52 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,400,311 times
The disheartening thing about those commercials is the cost of the ad itself. I prefer to donate to a church (Methodist Programs - UMCOR) charity that has no administrative expense. The members donate money specifically for the administration one month per year and so all monies donated for the specific disaster go to relief without any $ going to the program cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics