Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:18 AM

14 posts, read 11,696 times

Advertisements

Cash payment is not so bad buddy. Rather it would be better from some dimensions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 11:58 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,769,221 times
'Cash is King.' -Dave Ramsey

I always pay with cash except for gas, too lazy to walk inside.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:06 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,713,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Use a credit card not debit and you are good to go
Your money is safe with debit too, not just credit. I haven't used a credit card in a long time. Don't need to make the banks more money.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:10 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Your money is safe with debit too, not just credit. I haven't used a credit card in a long time. Don't need to make the banks more money.

Credit offers greater protection than debit, better rewards and what the banks make on it is irrelevant unless a retailer gives you a discount for cash/debit purchase

Old 05-01-2014, 12:12 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,551,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Life's too short to care about invisible enemies. The only enemy is the one you create in your thoughts, and the real key to life is knowing that there really are 'no' enemies out there...

Life's too short to fumble around with bills and change... one swipe and I'm out of the building. Put a RFID chip in my wrist and all products so I can just walk through a scanner, automatically be charged, and walk out in seconds without hassle. Come on, let's do this.. it's 2014...

You don't mean that do you ? You want someone to put in an RFID chip into your body to help expedite your purchases? The idea of that ever happening in the future is very scary to me. I would never consent to that!

Old 05-01-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Your bank account can get hacked even if you don't use it ala credit cards etc. It happens all the time.

If you don't use credit or debit cards, then you need to carry cash. People get robbed for their cash too. You go into the store, get out the cash and someone is watching you, guaranteed.
Isn't your bank account much more protected the less you use a debit card ? Do you think banks are also at risk for hacking as much as stores are?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
If you think about it, carrying cash around is dirty. This is why I dislike changes. No.. I am not a germs freak. Just consider the number of places that a circulated paper or coin currency has gone through.

I had never thought of it that way I guess you have a point maybe you should just spray it with Lysol or something? Your post reminded me of another problem with cash and that is counterfit money that sometimes get mistakenly accepted and circulated into the system. I have heard of people getting it by mistake . Maybe it's safert not to carry anything bigger than a $20?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:28 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,258,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Or was, until some stores (Barnes & Noble and a few others I've been in) took away the swiping machines so you have to let them handle your card. They do it credit but that doesn't mean shenanigans can't go on. Then there's the Target person who grabbed my card out of my hand and said "I'll do it". Oh? Why would he need to swipe my card for me when the machine was right there in front of me? Or the woman in Walgreens who kept reaching across the counter and punching buttons before I had a chance to. Funny. I've not seen her in a long time.

Cash they have to wait for me to count out to them. I'll do cash on the barrel head. Thanks.

An old fashioned check isn't too bad either. With those machines, your signature never looks like your signature. So, how do you prove you didn't sign? On a check, you write as you write and you have proof if you didn't write it. Not as safe as cash but better than cards.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:34 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
How is my thinking inferior, lowexpectations? So far it just seems to boil down to what you perceive as exaggeration -- oh, and that I'm a woman -- but I've been truthful here. I have not exaggerated nor have I engaged in ad hominem attacks against those who see things differently.

My system of handling household money is not particularly time-consuming. Others may find credit more to their liking and similarly efficient. Good for them! But I maintain that portraying my way of doing things as unnecessarily complex and dangerous is just flat out inaccurate. I spend less time thinking about household spending now than I ever have, while simultaneously ensuring that everybody in my family has what they need when they need it. Frankly, I'm an excellent household manager, and a big part of that has to do with the way I handle our everyday expenses. After twenty-five years of marriage and three kids, I know what I'm doing, but I don't assume that what I do will work for everyone.

So feel free to disregard my posts, since they clearly don't apply to your life, but please stop insulting me. It's entirely uncalled for.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:43 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
How is my thinking inferior, lowexpectations? So far it just seems to boil down to what you perceive as exaggeration -- oh, and that I'm a woman -- but I've been truthful here. I have not exaggerated nor have I engaged in ad hominem attacks against those who see things differently.

My system of handling household money is not particularly time-consuming. Others may find credit more to their liking and similarly efficient. Good for them! But I maintain that portraying my way of doing things as unnecessarily complex and dangerous is just flat out inaccurate. I spend less time thinking about household spending now than I ever have, while simultaneously ensuring that everybody in my family has what they need when they need it. Frankly, I'm an excellent household manager, and a big part of that has to do with the way I handle our everyday expenses. After twenty-five years of marriage and three kids, I know what I'm doing, but I don't assume that what I do will work for everyone.

So feel free to disregard my posts, since they clearly don't apply to your life, but please stop insulting me. It's entirely uncalled for.
Using cash isn't more efficient in terms of time to make payments and maintain cash on hand than using plastic. With plastic there is no counting at the pos either by you or the employee, there is no cash back via change. I never said using cash was dangerous though so you've made that one up on your own. Your cash system might be better for you overall because of the lack of discipline among the spenders in your household. To that end it may be more efficient for you using cash as an expense management function but from a simple use standpoint plastic is far and away better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics