Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:16 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
It's called history. It has happened over and over again, every time the minimum age has gone up. Will the raises be an exact match? No, but they will be pretty close. Close enough, in fact, that the buying power of minimum wage earners will remain essentially the same as it is now.

Answer this question: When is the last time that raising the minimum wage had the long term effect of lifting minimum wage earners out of poverty? All the way back to 1938, when has it happened?

Is the goal of raising min wage to move all those folks out of poverty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
To clarify, I was talking about Washington D.C.'s attempts to raise the minimum wage. Seattle, quite frankly, can go pound sand. I've been there numerous times, and I still don't understand why people voluntarily move there. However, the same thing is going to happen in Seattle - on a smaller scale - as what has happened on a national level every time the minimum wage has been raised. They are devaluing the dollar on a local level, rather than a national level, but they are still effectively devaluing it.

Should min wage be indexed to inflation?

Old 06-06-2014, 02:21 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,705,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Is the goal of raising min wage to move all those folks out of poverty?
If it isn't, what's the point? The proponents of raising the minimum wage keep calling for a "livable wage" - whatever that is. Since nobody has actually defined it yet, one can only come to the logical conclusion that they wish to lift the working poor into an economic class that doesn't include the word "poor". In other words, to lift them out of poverty.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
If it isn't, what's the point? The proponents of raising the minimum wage keep calling for a "livable wage" - whatever that is. Since nobody has actually defined it yet, one can only come to the logical conclusion that they wish to lift the working poor into an economic class that doesn't include the word "poor". In other words, to lift them out of poverty.
Is the point to keep up with rising cost of living?

Old 06-06-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Should min wage be indexed to inflation?
Only if part of the indexing requires that minimum wage not change for a set period of time - preferably half a decade or so. Otherwise, the market will never have time to correct itself.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Is the point to keep up with rising cost of living?
You tell me. As I said, nobody has yet to explain what a "livable wage" is.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
You tell me. As I said, nobody has yet to explain what a "livable wage" is.
You want me to define a term I didn't use to fit your argument?

Old 06-06-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Only if part of the indexing requires that minimum wage not change for a set period of time - preferably half a decade or so. Otherwise, the market will never have time to correct itself.

So if it takes 5 years in between adjustments you certainly are always behind inflation

Old 06-06-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
You want me to define a term I didn't use to fit your argument?
Why not? You're asking me the point of an action which history shows has no long term beneficial effect.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Why not? You're asking me the point of an action which history shows has no long term beneficial effect.

You posted a question about poverty and min wage as though the point of min wage was to pull people out of poverty. I don't believe that is the purpose if min wage and this why I asked.

Here's a snap shot of min wages purpose

Quote:
The national minimum wage was created by Congress under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) in 1938. Congress enacted this legislation under its Constitutional grant of authority to regulate interstate commerce. FLSA was a comprehensive federal scheme which provided for minimum wages, overtime pay, record keeping requirements, and child labor regulations. The purpose of the minimum wage was to stabilize the post-depression economy and protect the workers in the labor force. The minimum wage was designed to create a minimum standard of living to protect the health and well-being of employees. Others have argued that the primary purpose was to aid the lowest paid of the nation's working population, those who lacked sufficient bargaining power to secure for themselves a minimum subsistence wage. FLSA specifically provided for a minimum wage for full time and part time, public and private sector workers. Specifically, workers who are “engaged in” or “in the production of goods for” interstate (commerce between the states) and foreign commerce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics