Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:56 AM

165 posts, read 194,543 times

Advertisements

What the everloving f**k?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 10:13 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,682,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
So what's the dollar looked like vs the eur? Ah okay. Vs aud? Gbp? Ah etc etc
Your inquiries are missing the point of currency values, the TWA index is simply a snapshot and not something to be thought of as a long term piece of evidence regarding the overall health of our economy. The financial acrobatics of the FED has to be taken into account when posing currency values as something likened to a natural event, international politics aside, we all know that governments have manipulated currencies to bolster their political theatrics with regard to their respective economies.

Maybe you could allow us a view of your thoughts on how the dollar index relates to the guy down the street who has more of an interest in the price of used beaters or his dilemma of how he'll pay his rent.
Looking at your one liner responses posing as valid inquiries doesn't give me much to debate, there is no shortage of reading when one goes on Google and searches for info on the dollars losing value at the sale point, that would be the point at which the average guy realizes his money isn't buying as much, hence my contention that the dollar isn't worth as much as it once was.

As for the OP's contention that he made money during the downturn I'd have to say that such claims need to take into consideration the entirety of America's financial system and it's propensity to punish those who think that fiat currency doesn't have negative potential. It does, and the circus of international fiat currencies has spectacular potential for a negative outcome. At any rate feel free to cling to your chosen metrics that make you feel good for the moment, meanwhile I'll try to find some solace in the dollar index as I'm choking on the fact that my money isn't buying as much as it used to, and, I'm on a fixed income...........

Old 07-10-2014, 11:49 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,773,404 times
The recession is over?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:54 AM

139 posts, read 85,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
The recession is over?
I find myself wondering the same thing sometimes when looking at QE, GDP growth, and consumer spending even though it has officially been over since June 2009.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:12 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,974,480 times
When Ben Bernanke was over the Federal Reserve Bank he said “The U.S. government has a technology, called a printing press (or today, its electronic equivalent), that allows it to produce as many U.S. dollars as it wishes at no cost.” The Treasury Dept has been printing $40 to $85 billion every month.

The Federal Reserve Bank's quantitative easing to stimulate the economy is going to blow up!!! Greenspan and Bernanke created this monster and then departed. There is no way to stop infusing liquidity into the economy without creating a massive recession/depression. Now Janet Yellen the new Chair of the Federal Reserve is left holding the bag. Bernanke will say, everything was in good shape when I left!! If and when Janet Yellen starts the QE tapering off, we will feel the effects.

It's got to stop and was just a means to rescue the presidency and allow him to continue to borrow money and tell us how great the economy was. When the Treasury Dept stops or slows down on printing this massive amount of money we won't see the stock market at 16 or 17.

They have been "buying their way" out of the recession, and we will be the ones paying for it after they quit printing money, and reality hits. It just might be nasty.

So the OP could be getting his wish. I, for one, am not looking forward to this event.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:26 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,318,041 times
Nooooope another recession so soon would be devastating worldwide and I suspect very long in duration. So yes you could buy low but wouldn't see considerable profit for decades.

Now I wouldn't be too sad to see the Euro and the EU crack open. I'd be pleased as punch to pick up a villa and hour North of Barcelona or in Tuscany for a song.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:41 PM

1,013 posts, read 911,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
So you are broke?
compared to Terrorists like the banksters at

HSBC-jpm etc banks
funding the drug lords
and funding terrorists like al queda
(proven)

of course as are you we are all broke compared to them

but I was at least able to get some gains in the 2008-2009 crash.

unfortunately my grocery bills doubled rent increases etc etc.
was not even worth it. only kept up with inflation pretty much.
100% inflation on food water energy medicine = no gains at all.

yep we are all slaves.

honestly I would in fact like the market to crash such that banks would have to UNLOAD ALL THE foreclosures and be done with it.

I have a diversified portfolio where it is more or less balanced so I have some cash to play with during those times.
but I am sure those like you are fully leveraged right now where 10% drop would destroy you.

as are most banks which is why they are just buying their own properties in hopes to jack up prices further and further

in other words

market manipulation like those bidding up their own auctions on EBAY
OLDEST trick in the book.
and people fall for it every time.

but for those not into speculation lower property values mean nothing
as are higher values. its only to feel good about it vanity at it's finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Nooooope another recession so soon would be devastating worldwide and I suspect very long in duration. So yes you could buy low but wouldn't see considerable profit for decades.

Now I wouldn't be too sad to see the Euro and the EU crack open. I'd be pleased as punch to pick up a villa and hour North of Barcelona or in Tuscany for a song.
since when did we get out of the recession.

news flash there was no recovery

the only way to a recovery is increased competition and commoners able to compete with large corporations again.
not by government handouts

but by governments stopping their stupidity in taxing and fining lemonade stands.
there is nothing wrong with having a stand right next to a vending machine 10x cheaper than the machine when it is not trespassing eg public domain.
notes: WITHOUT A LICENSE

notes: many cops don't even care and let the peddlers stay there unless they are called to crack down on them because they are overdoing it. a stupid law essentially

Last edited by gen811; 07-10-2014 at 04:51 PM..

Old 07-10-2014, 07:09 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,690,312 times
another one? When the heck did the last one end?

Old 07-10-2014, 07:53 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,641,367 times
At this point, I'm praying for an all out economic collapse... which I don't think would require much effort.

I'm so tired of being concerned about it. Trying to plan around all this foolishness.. I wish the thing would just collapse already..

Which way to the closest FEMA camp officer? Do we sign in to use the gas chambers or is it more random?

Old 07-11-2014, 06:02 AM

790 posts, read 1,270,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
At this point, I'm praying for an all out economic collapse... which I don't think would require much effort.

I'm so tired of being concerned about it. Trying to plan around all this foolishness.. I wish the thing would just collapse already..

Which way to the closest FEMA camp officer? Do we sign in to use the gas chambers or is it more random?

If the Fed would raise the rate we would at least experience another mild recession, they are scared though and that speaks volumes about the underlying stability of this "recovery".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics