Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 02:17 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,231 times

Advertisements

If a highly educated workforce is the way to a vibrant American economy and a middle class life, then this many over educated young adults would have jobs. But they don't.

This is the myth of a highly educated workforce. It must also define what exactly is "highly educated." A person with a broad understanding of history end up working at Starbucks.

Today's reality shows that highly educated background doesn't lead to a middle class life or a vibrant American economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 02:25 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
If a highly educated workforce is the way to a vibrant American economy and a middle class life, then this many over educated young adults would have jobs. But they don't.

This is the myth of a highly educated workforce. It must also define what exactly is "highly educated." A person with a broad understanding of history end up working at Starbucks.

Today's reality shows that highly educated background doesn't lead to a middle class life or a vibrant American economy.
If you are highly educated in the fields that are hiring for high paid positions you could have a decent life. I don't think it is a myth. The highly educated Asians are taking a lot of the high paying jobs in the workforce. There is a definite correlation between education and income. This recession will be over someday and those that are highly educated will continue to do better than those that are not. In fact, it is only in America's past that people who are not highly educated were able to make a good living. Those manufacturing and unions jobs are disappearing. If people would stop devaluing education things would improve.

http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm

Last edited by Enigma777; 07-30-2014 at 03:04 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 02:33 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post

The way to a vibrant economy is for the percentage of people with various qualifications (both educational and on-the-job training/experience) to be as near as possible to in direct proportion to demand.

If 70% of needed jobs require a degree, then an economy with 70% of the workforce educated to that level is most vibrant, all else being equal.

I think what we really need to address is whether there is over- or under-supply of various skills, by looking at the statistics.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:49 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
I've applied now to at least 100 different places in this area in the past two and half months. Out of those, only a few actually required a degree. Most only required a high school diploma.

The vast majority of jobs in Erie PA anyways that are available to not require a degree. I have two, and apparently they haven't been this amazing thing that employers have looked at to get me a job.

Some of the jobs I've interviewed with I have been very qualified for as well. All of my experience, education, etc is in that area. I am way overeducated for what they are asking for.

And the pay is what it is.. it is non-negotiable. Why would they negotiate? Take it or leave it.

I've been looking at getting back into nursing school.. 160 credits down already.. trying to find something where I can use this education.

But nursing is not the end all job people can run to.

There is a systematic problem going on.

Believe it or not I applied to a Starbucks today for a supervisor position.. So I found that comment a bit amusing.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:52 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
I'll also add that there comes a time where you become overqualified for a position. You might just need a job, but with all your fancy degrees and achievements they see you as a flight risk.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:27 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,219,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
I'll also add that there comes a time where you become overqualified for a position. You might just need a job, but with all your fancy degrees and achievements they see you as a flight risk.
You said you have two degrees. Fancy degrees. What kind of degrees that are not making you employed.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:57 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
A vibrant economy requires a wide range of jobs, from burger flippers to manufacturing to finance. The US has shifted to a 'service' economy. Problem is, we can't all sell insurance policies to each other. You have to make something, generate businesses that generate other jobs. Once the jobs are there, the workers will adapt to fill the positions, no matter what they are.

It is not a chicken or egg thing.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:18 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,448 times
Education and Useful Education are two different things.

My employer doesn't care if I know the details of the French Revolution. Every dollar ever spent on teaching me about it is a waste of money. Whoever thinks that knowing about it will make me a better employee is wrong.

In high school I took a class in Visual Basic as an senior even though it was a class filled with mostly freshmen(I transfered late and had some slots to fill since my requirements were met). That class has helped my career more than any other and I didn't personally pay a penny for it.

An educated work force doesn't matter. A skilled work force is a different story. Some skills require a deeper understanding of the theory behind the skill. That type of education is valuable and contributes to the overall economy.

Knowing about the French Revolution, does not help the economy.

People need to learn to separate the two types of knowledge.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:17 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Education and Useful Education are two different things.

My employer doesn't care if I know the details of the French Revolution. Every dollar ever spent on teaching me about it is a waste of money. Whoever thinks that knowing about it will make me a better employee is wrong.

In high school I took a class in Visual Basic as an senior even though it was a class filled with mostly freshmen(I transfered late and had some slots to fill since my requirements were met). That class has helped my career more than any other and I didn't personally pay a penny for it.

An educated work force doesn't matter. A skilled work force is a different story. Some skills require a deeper understanding of the theory behind the skill. That type of education is valuable and contributes to the overall economy.

Knowing about the French Revolution, does not help the economy.

People need to learn to separate the two types of knowledge.
Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. Society needs people to know about the French revolution. Things like that should be taught in high school.

College though, thats different, in College you should be learning the specifics of your career.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:31 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,795,289 times
Germany tries to match kids' ability with the education they'll receive. The top 1/3 are trained for the science and the professions. The middle third is trained for business. The bottom third is trained for vocations. This group, when approaching working age, is also apprenticed out to businesses so they develop skill and experience in their krafts.

This way, you don't wind up with the situation we have in America. Far too many people have college degrees. There never have been and never will be that many jobs in this or any economy to make use of all this learning. And you also don't have a bottom third that is unskilled, fit only for menial tasks and barely able to support itself. In Germany the bottom 1/3 works in factories making good wages and is skilled enough to be worth it.

I doubt this kind of system can work in the US because we're a diverse country. It's one thing for Germany to have a top and bottom third. They're still all Germans. In the US, different ethnic groups would wind up in the different thirds (or fourths, or whatever), exacerbating the divisions we already have. A much more rigorous quota system than the current one would be necessary, breeding even more resentment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics