Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 01:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times

Advertisements

That's assuming grandparents are willing and able... and being alive helps, too. My kids definitely got the short end of the stick in that department: maternal grandparents are both dead, paternal grandmother is physically unable to care for them, and paternal grandfather went back to work after he retired because his pension, SS, and VA benefits are not enough to cover their living expenses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I don't know too many grandparents that consider keeping their grandchildren as forced labor. Both sets of grandparents in my family enjoyed it and it helped develop a life long bond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 01:40 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
I also know people that make barely 20k per year and are raising kids...and they either have grandparents watching the kids or have state-subsidized day care. They generally have WIC or food stamps, Medicaid or what we call CHIP here (children's health insurance program) for the kids, and may or may not have subsidized housing.
I know a few people like that too. They work full time so they aren't really lazy, but due to their low income, most of their cost are offset by the gov.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Some strange folks consider children a joy.
Apparently you have never been burdened with minor issues such as childcare or a back up plan at 6:00 am.
I was obviously referring to financial burdens.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
That's assuming grandparents are willing and able... and being alive helps, too. My kids definitely got the short end of the stick in that department: maternal grandparents are both dead, paternal grandmother is physically unable to care for them, and paternal grandfather went back to work after he retired because his pension, SS, and VA benefits are not enough to cover their living expenses.
No aunts, cousins or friends that are stay at home parents who wouldn't mind some extra income?

For those who have no one, it seems you really only need to get through years 1-3 and then childcare cost should drop drastically (only a few hours after school).

Old 08-14-2014, 01:46 PM

That's good in theory, but it leaves you completely screwed when she can't take care of your kid for the week because her kids are sick.
Quote:
Yes, for some that are basically alone in the world, having a child can be more of a burden. But heck, almost everything is more of a burden for those people. Regardless, finding a stay at home mom looking for extra income shouldn't be too difficult. And Goodwill/CL have plenty of clothing that will fit a small child.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
That's good in theory, but it leaves you completely screwed when she can't take care of your kid for the week because her kids are sick.
I'm sure many local day cares will take on another child for a week. Heck, pay 'em double.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:51 PM

Assuming you know someone who doesn't work and can provide reliable care. And it's ludicrous expect them to take on the responsibility for free. Personally, I believe there are some areas where you cannot skimp; childcare is at the top of the list.

Quote:
No aunts, cousins or friends that are stay at home parents who wouldn't mind some extra income?

For those who have no one, it seems you really only need to get through years 1-3 and then childcare cost should drop drastically (only a few hours after school).

Old 08-14-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Assuming you know someone who doesn't work and can provide reliable care. And it's ludicrous expect them to take on the responsibility for free. Personally, I believe there are some areas where you cannot skimp; childcare is at the top of the list.
I'm not expecting a grandparent/cousin/friend/aunt to do it for free, but at probably a significant discount compared to some daycare chain with overhead.

And there is that "_____ is an area where you can't skimp" comment. This mentality is what makes raising a child expensive.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:57 PM

Respectfully, it's evident that you've never experienced the reality of having to arrange daycare for a child. Daycare centers won't take a random child for 1 week because they have to maintain specific care-giver ratios, not to mention the health department regulations. And in my neck of the woods, $10/hour is the going rate for daycare; you would hypothetically pay $20/hour because the other daycare provider flaked on you???
Quote:
I'm sure many local day cares will take on another child for a week. Heck, pay 'em double.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:00 PM

Yes, I do consider it skimping. Quality, reliable daycare does not come cheap. Parents spend a little more for the peace of mind that the daycare will be up and running everyday, and their child will be in a structured, intellectually stimulating environment.
Quote:
I'm not expecting a grandparent/cousin/friend/aunt to do it for free, but at probably a significant discount compared to some daycare chain with overhead.

And there is that "_____ is an area where you can't skimp" comment. This mentality is what makes raising a child expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics