Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 12:12 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
This is totally true, it's just like how they say the "average" return on a college degree is $1 million more (some say only $250k more) over a lifetime but that includes ALL of the top 1% of income earners schewing that number higher than it should be.

I totally agree with these numbers from the article below in relation to America today:

-39 percent of American workers made less than $20,000 last year.
-52 percent of American workers made less than $30,000 last year.
-63 percent of American workers made less than $40,000 last year.
-72 percent of American workers made less than $50,000 last year.

This is wrong, for a family of FOUR you need at least $80,000 a year in a low cost of living area to reasonably support that family in terms of needs and also wants/desires. I guess if you delete the wants/desires, you could squeeze it down to around $65,000 but I would say $65,000 is the bare minimum.

I have said it on this forum, in business clubs, political clubs, and ANYWHERE that people will listen to me....folks, America is on the decline. What you are seeing here is the elimination of the Industrial Age/Low Skilled Job Economy, to now an Economy that requires you to have SPECIALIZED SKILLS within 1 - 3 areas that are in high demand not just in the US, but globally, meaning you could work domestic or international or both.

The people that will MAKE it in this Economy, will be those with the Specialized Skills. Everybody else will NOT make it and will seek to live off the Government. However, the Government is very limited in what it can do, 50% of all Americans receive something from the Government today, but by 2020 expect that to be 60%. By 2030, expect it to be 70% - 75%. By 2040, expect that to be 80%. This means that by 2050, America will probably have fallen through the damn floor. The Government won't be able to support the UNSKILLED anymore, and those with the SKILLS (seeing as though they are in demand globally) would have LEFT the United States for more better and structural balances in other countries.

The decline is coming folks, you can blame this on just "some" of the stupid policies below:

- Mocking of education, so less and less people become "nerds" specializing in the HIGH DEMAND areas.

- Dumbing down of Education just to get people to "graduate," but them graduating with a piece of paper means nothing if they are stupid, can't critically think, and can't properly plan.

- Hand holding of irresponsible behavior from women, which through the help of the Family Court, has helped destroy the Family Structure through replacing the Man with the Government. Causing them to continue in their irresponsible behavior like making 5 kids from 5 different thugs, and looking for 5 separate welfare checks each month INSTEAD of developing your talents and skills. This destroys the chances of those children to become ANYTHING of value to society in terms of getting into these specialized skills, instead the children go from "welfare" as babies/teens, to "welfare" as single mothers or "prison welfare" as convicts.

- Bad Export/Import Policy that sent too many jobs overseas for tax breaks. Extremely stupid. You could have opened up the trade barriers for Globalization, but you didn't have to setup tax breaks for moving production overseas, smh.

- Government getting bigger and bigger, seeking to add more and more people to its rolls for their "make work" jobs.

- Destroying the US Dollar, causing massive INFLATION

I can go on and on. It's the Democrats AND the Republicans' problem. They have BOTH crashed America. While you sat around stuffing your face with high salty, high buttery, high fattening POPCORN watching Dancing With The Stars, your damn country has been falling apart.

Your assertion that a family of four needs 65-80k in a low col area at min is not supported by facts. There also isn't massive inflation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 12:24 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
This is totally true, it's just like how they say the "average" return on a college degree is $1 million more (some say only $250k more) over a lifetime but that includes ALL of the top 1% of income earners schewing that number higher than it should be.

I totally agree with these numbers from the article below in relation to America today:

-39 percent of American workers made less than $20,000 last year.
-52 percent of American workers made less than $30,000 last year.
-63 percent of American workers made less than $40,000 last year.
-72 percent of American workers made less than $50,000 last year.

This is wrong, for a family of FOUR you need at least $80,000 a year in a low cost of living area to reasonably support that family in terms of needs and also wants/desires. I guess if you delete the wants/desires, you could squeeze it down to around $65,000 but I would say $65,000 is the bare minimum.

I have said it on this forum, in business clubs, political clubs, and ANYWHERE that people will listen to me....folks, America is on the decline. What you are seeing here is the elimination of the Industrial Age/Low Skilled Job Economy, to now an Economy that requires you to have SPECIALIZED SKILLS within 1 - 3 areas that are in high demand not just in the US, but globally, meaning you could work domestic or international or both.

The people that will MAKE it in this Economy, will be those with the Specialized Skills. Everybody else will NOT make it and will seek to live off the Government. However, the Government is very limited in what it can do, 50% of all Americans receive something from the Government today, but by 2020 expect that to be 60%. By 2030, expect it to be 70% - 75%. By 2040, expect that to be 80%. This means that by 2050, America will probably have fallen through the damn floor. The Government won't be able to support the UNSKILLED anymore, and those with the SKILLS (seeing as though they are in demand globally) would have LEFT the United States for more better and structural balances in other countries.

The decline is coming folks, you can blame this on just "some" of the stupid policies below:

- Mocking of education, so less and less people become "nerds" specializing in the HIGH DEMAND areas.

- Dumbing down of Education just to get people to "graduate," but them graduating with a piece of paper means nothing if they are stupid, can't critically think, and can't properly plan. For evidence of this just look at the student loan situation. How many "college educated" graduates have said that they didn't fully "understand" how their student loans worked? They didn't understand how the interest was calculated, capitalized, etc.? If they can't figure out something SIMPLE as Contract Law and Interest Rates, how in the hell do we expect these people to move into these Specialized Skilled Areas? Lol, they won't move into those areas, they will most likely graduate with a Liberal Arts Degree which is just as UNSKILLED as a HS Graduate is.

- Hand holding of irresponsible behavior from women, which through the help of the Family Court, has helped destroy the Family Structure through replacing the Man with the Government. Causing them to continue in their irresponsible behavior like making 5 kids from 5 different thugs, and looking for 5 separate welfare checks each month INSTEAD of developing your talents and skills. This destroys the chances of those children to become ANYTHING of value to society in terms of getting into these specialized skills, instead the children go from "welfare" as babies/teens, to "welfare" as single mothers or "prison welfare" as convicts.

- Bad Export/Import Policy that sent too many jobs overseas for tax breaks. Extremely stupid. You could have opened up the trade barriers for Globalization, but you didn't have to setup tax breaks for moving production overseas, smh.

- Government getting bigger and bigger, seeking to add more and more people to its rolls for their "make work" jobs.

- Destroying the US Dollar, causing massive INFLATION

I can go on and on. It's the Democrats AND the Republicans' problem. They have BOTH crashed America. While you sat around stuffing your face with high salty, high buttery, high fattening POPCORN watching Dancing With The Stars, your damn country has been falling apart.
I agree with most of what you said except for the irresponsible woman part, it takes two to make a baby, why aren't the dads being forced or even paying child support. For every guy that's gone through divorce and gotten screwed, I can say the same for a woman who was screwed as well.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:29 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Your assertion that a family of four needs 65-80k in a low col area at min is not supported by facts. There also isn't massive inflation
It's pretty reasonable, actually. America has an amazingly hedonistic interpretation of "need." So basically, whenever you said something like "support a middle-class lifestyle," that's what you're talking about. So he just is a bit more of a hedonist than the average American is all.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
I agree with most of what you said except for the irresponsible woman part, it takes two to make a baby, why aren't the dads being forced or even paying child support. For every guy that's gone through divorce and gotten screwed, I can say the same for a woman who was screwed as well.
Ultimately, it is the woman's responsibility as they are the only ones that can choose whether or not to have a baby. Usually the dads in those scenarios are locked up, on drugs, and basically even more irresponsible than the woman is for having a kid she can't support.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's pretty reasonable, actually. America has an amazingly hedonistic interpretation of "need." So basically, whenever you said something like "support a middle-class lifestyle," that's what you're talking about. So he just is a bit more of a hedonist than the average American is all.

I'm not buying it. On 65k he said all wants/desires are stripped out. Facts as in HH income, HH income dual earners don't support this notion

Old 10-26-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'm not buying it. On 65k he said all wants/desires are stripped out. Facts as in HH income, HH income dual earners don't support this notion
Sure they do.

Everyone needs 300 TV channels these days, can't be expected to wear the same two pairs of Levi's you've been wearing for the last three years that you bought on sale as you'd look like you were poor so you gotta spend $200-300 on jeans, $150/pair to get the kids some AJs, iphones for the fam. You know, needs.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:06 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,223,445 times
Interesting posting, I recently discussed some of these elements in a previous posting
Every Place is but "Perception and how its factored"

It is good to see others looking at the realities to see the challenges which are widespread across this nation and how it impacts individuals, communities and cities.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:10 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,406,815 times
...and 100% of American Workers are being paid the market value of their labor. Any who wish to be paid more have a variety of means to become more valuable to the rest of society.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Sure they do.

Everyone needs 300 TV channels these days, can't be expected to wear the same two pairs of Levi's you've been wearing for the last three years that you bought on sale as you'd look like you were poor so you gotta spend $200-300 on jeans, $150/pair to get the kids some AJs, iphones for the fam. You know, needs.

If you are going to make up your own definition to support the claim there's not much else I can say. In low cola a family of four does not need 65k in annual income to meet their needs

Old 10-26-2014, 01:28 PM

30,351 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Either this site named the "The Economic Collapse" is lying or they are counting every child and retiree into their calculations. Check out the median (meaning half make more and half make less) and even in the poorest state (Mississippi) the median hourly wage is $13.67 and it's over $19 an hour in my state (Washington). Don't fall prey to liars and manipulators unless you don't mind being lied to and manipulated...I do mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics