Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:47 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
There is no inherent right to health care. But IMO we should as a society make it reasonably close for all.
The Declaration of Independence states that we have an unalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That doesn’t mean that other people should be forced to sustain our life or make us happy.

There is a big difference between a need and a right. Health care is a basic need that everyone is free to pursue. This means that the government cannot infringe on our right to pursue health care but no one owes us health care. Health care is a good just like food, clothing, and shelter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 08:00 AM

903 posts, read 583,700 times
The Gov't is forcing us to all have healthcare, but they are basically only working on one side of the equation. They aren't regulating how much medical school costs, they aren't regulating salaries, and thus when they tell a private company that they must cover everyone, what is that private company going to do. They don't want less profits so they raise prices. The Gov't tells the private company they can't have a life time cap anymore. The private company raises prices. They tell the private company the must do this and that. So they raise prices. We use to have an HMO that cost about $600/mo. No we have a high deductible plan ($10K) deductible that costs about $1200/mo. So I basically pay over $12K for the right to spend at least another $10K.

I don't agree with socialized medicine and I don't want it. But if they are going to have it, then all parts of the equation must be regulated. Otherwise, premiums just keep going up.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:05 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The Declaration of Independence states that we have an unalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That doesn’t mean that other people should be forced to sustain our life or make us happy.

There is a big difference between a need and a right. Health care is a basic need that everyone is free to pursue. This means that the government cannot infringe on our right to pursue health care but no one owes us health care. Health care is a good just like food, clothing, and shelter.
Actually, as a society, we have decided that health care is a 'right'. Not a constitutional right but a de-facto one which is enshrined in various laws. That is why you will be treated even if you cannot afford to pay. That is why we have Medicare, Medicaid, the VA, etc.. Sadly, the way we have implemented that 'right' is grossly inefficient and costs us much more than it should. Which, of course, is why we are having this conversation about health insurance, its cost and the best way to minimize that cost to the individual.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Actually, as a society, we have decided that health care is a 'right'. Not a constitutional right but a de-facto one which is enshrined in various laws. That is why you will be treated even if you cannot afford to pay. That is why we have Medicare, Medicaid, the VA, etc.. Sadly, the way we have implemented that 'right' is grossly inefficient and costs us much more than it should. Which, of course, is why we are having this conversation about health insurance, its cost and the best way to minimize that cost to the individual.
And I disagree with your definition of "right". I agree with this take:
Healthcare Is Not a Human Right

Old 10-30-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
And I disagree with your definition of "right". I agree with this take:
Healthcare Is Not a Human Right
We can debate the philosophical nature of 'rights' all we want. That does not change the reality of the situation we have today.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:29 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,905,882 times
Quote:

But if one of your loved ones suddenly developed cancer and this was before the days of the ACA, once they exceeded the payout limit of whatever insurance and cash you had and they cut off treatment you would be squealing about how unfair it was. If you had a brother or sister who for some reason no fault of their own could not afford insurance and lived in a non-Medicaid state and they had an attack of appendicitis and due to financial reasons they were turned away from the emergency room, guess that would be OK with you?

Old 10-30-2014, 08:35 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,190,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post

Low deductibles are a colossal waste of money in the long run, especially once you factor in just how much staff and how many hours in a medical clinic are spent on billing insurance for reimbursement. If the patient just freaking paid for it, you'd avoid all the nonsense!

Either you are very rich or very healthy. Or someone else pays your bills.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
But if one of your loved ones suddenly developed cancer and this was before the days of the ACA, once they exceeded the payout limit of whatever insurance and cash you had and they cut off treatment you would be squealing about how unfair it was. If you had a brother or sister who for some reason no fault of their own could not afford insurance and lived in a non-Medicaid state and they had an attack of appendicitis and due to financial reasons they were turned away from the emergency room, guess that would be OK with you?
The cancer, yes, it is a horrible unfair disease. But honestly, I cannot possibly expect that every single thing that could go wrong, health-wise, should be treated at the taxpayer's expense. I just don't think that way. **** happens...it just does. And yes, it sucks. But as a family, we would manage. We support each other. I don't look for the government to support me in that way. I look to my family.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
The cancer, yes, it is a horrible unfair disease. But honestly, I cannot possibly expect that every single thing that could go wrong, health-wise, should be treated at the taxpayer's expense. I just don't think that way. **** happens...it just does. And yes, it sucks. But as a family, we would manage. We support each other. I don't look for the government to support me in that way. I look to my family.
So do you believe that if someone cannot afford to pay for treatment then they should be turned away and possibly allowed to die?

Old 10-30-2014, 11:19 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Your personal convictions are admirable.

But the truth is that for seniors, and we all plan to be seniors, the HC costs far outweigh what they put in. By 3 to 1.

So sure we might take youngsters and educate them as to the need of a future medical retirement account. But for so many people that will not and cannot happen as they are challenged by all sorts of realities of life. So in the end there remains and will remain a huge social need that free markets cannot satisfy. Thus Medicare.

You are free to vote against it. But the will of the people continue to speak in its favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics