Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:33 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druyanista View Post
Sure, sure, everybody's such a scammer in their dreams. Meanwhile, benefits are equal to the set amount for your household size, minus 30% of your gross earnings. If your gross earnings are more than 130% of poverty level, your monthly benefit will be $0 to start out with. If your gross earnings are less than 130% of poverty level and you are an able-bodied adult not caring for a dependent and you do not have a job, you may receive benefits for up to 90 days. After that, you must have a job or be training for a job, or your benefits will end.

As one who cannot access job training, I object to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 10:04 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,372,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druyanista View Post
Nearly all US welfare programs already have some form of work requirement for the able-bodied who are not caregivers for very young or very old dependents. Apparently, this is a little-known fact.
Please provide links to your statement. If not, I call this a bunch of bull####.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:41 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
In my earlier work years there were a couple times between jobs that I applied for foodstamp benefits. The only work requirement was that my benefits would be reduced by any earned income and I would not be eligible at all if I earned above a very limited income level. It was quite incentivizing to work "off-book" or "under the table" to avoid reducing my benefits. I was, unfortunately, too greedy and wanted a better standard of living than average so when it came along I took the good paying job anyway.
Apparently you dont know the difference between food stamps and welfare.

were you by any chance receiving unemployment at the time as well? and maybe...had to do work search?

Old 11-12-2014, 01:42 AM

778 posts, read 824,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Please provide links to your statement. If not, I call this a bunch of bull####.
I was denied SNAP benefits because even though I was well within the financial requirements, I wasn't working enough hours to qualify (because as a full-time student in a county with an 18% unemployment rate, it was hard to find any job, nevermind one that met the 20 hours a week they required).

I qualify now because I was awarded Federal work study through school.

Eligibility and Issuance Requirements

Old 11-12-2014, 01:43 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Since 1996, welfare has been administered through block grants to states. The grant program, called Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, or TANF, limits how long families can get aid and requires recipients to eventually go to work. It also includes stringent reporting requirements for states to show they are successfully moving people into the workforce.
Rick Santorum repeats Romney claim that Obama is ending work requirement in welfare | PolitiFact

You can feel free to google the 1996 law changes.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:14 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,960 times
The Hungarian program doesn't make all welfare conditional on work. Welfare people who don't work would still get a low monthly stipend. (We have so many things we give people that it's probably impossible to compare.) But, to get more than this minimum, they have to work.

Hungary is very backward and rural outside of Budapest so the work there is different than the work here. They do things like working with pigs and horses, clearing the underbrush out of the woods, opening drainage ditches, etc. Most of this work would be strange for Americans. But every American city (maybe not Palm Beach or Georgetown) has dirty streets, weeds growing in sidewalk cracks, graffiti that needs covering, vacant lots that could be community gardens, etc.

A program like Hungary's would connect sidelined Americans with the workaday world. They would be better citizens and better citizens make better communities. And the work they would did would make their communities better places to live, so they would benefit twice.

I'm against raising the minimum wage and maybe the minimum wage entirely. Germany didn't have a minimum wage until last year and it didn't hurt them any. But, for a program like this, it might be good to pay participants a good wage. Say, $10/hour. I don't think this is just giving people more money to do what they're already doing, like increasing the minimum wage. It's paying for improvement to people and to communities and it's setting a standard which private employers have to consider.

Combined with a base social benefit, this would make these folk pretty self-sufficient (in the sense of being able to pay bills, put food on the table, etc.). And, it would make the Walmarts and McDonalds of the world step up. Some jobs would still pay $7 or whatever, but these would be special situations where the hours, location, whatever compensated for the lower rate.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:28 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
As one who cannot access job training, I object to this.
I'm assuming that transportation would be provided under the proposed system, if it isn't, I agree with you.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:48 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Where is your evidence that welfare is preventing people from wanting to work?

Old 11-12-2014, 07:49 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I'm against raising the minimum wage and maybe the minimum wage entirely. Germany didn't have a minimum wage until last year and it didn't hurt them any. But, for a program like this, it might be good to pay participants a good wage. Say, $10/hour. I don't think this is just giving people more money to do what they're already doing, like increasing the minimum wage. It's paying for improvement to people and to communities and it's setting a standard which private employers have to consider.
Germany didn't have a minimum wage because they have strong unions. We don't anymore.

How do people not understand this?!?!

Old 11-12-2014, 09:39 AM

14 posts, read 8,157 times
[quote=Opin_Yunated;37242941]Where is your evidence that welfare is preventing people from wanting to work?

Work or Welfare: What Pays More? - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Welfare pays more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics