Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 04:18 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,615,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
You could, but you'd be worse off than the pensioner taking little risk and making more. The only risk the pensioner takes is that the pension checks get reduced (e.g. the city went bankrupt).

Then you took much greater risk than the pensioner did. For apples to apples comparison, keep the risk equivalent.
Apples to apples my a**. I'd rather compare apples to oranges than live in a tent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 04:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
Basically what is happening is the former peasants have ability to compete leaving many unprepared in this world; in simple terms. No one ever said western nations had a right by birth to the middle class.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:30 PM

10,245 posts, read 6,338,778 times
My daughter was born in 1984 and has a degree in Education. She sees jobs for private school teachers, who MUST have a degree and certification, paying $9/hour. Hello? Can you see the problem here? She worked back in HS at 15 years old during the summer for the school district with special needs children and made $8/hour. So in 2014 they want a college degree for only ONE DOLLAR an hour more? You must be brain dead if you cannot see the GREED here.

For PROFITS is the problem because they want to make more and more profits/money and want to pay SLAVE WAGES. Think about what the COL was in the 80s and 90s and what it is today, yet they think they can pay the same wages?

Oh, get off Boomers backs. My husband at 66 is still working full time, lost his IT job due to offshoring a total of 3 years, and is making the same wages as he did in the 80s. Yeah, we have a big, fat 401K.

Milennials, hello? Unless wages are increased to 21st Century COL, you will never be even Middle Class. I firmly believe that is the plan. Two classes; Poor and Rich. The Rich (barrons) can control the Poor (serfs) far easier than they can the Middle Class.

Dear Milennials, it is not just YOU.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:08 PM

21,893 posts, read 25,213,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My daughter was born in 1984 and has a degree in Education. She sees jobs for private school teachers, who MUST have a degree and certification, paying $9/hour. Hello? Can you see the problem here? She worked back in HS at 15 years old during the summer for the school district with special needs children and made $8/hour. So in 2014 they want a college degree for only ONE DOLLAR an hour more? You must be brain dead if you cannot see the GREED here.

For PROFITS is the problem because they want to make more and more profits/money and want to pay SLAVE WAGES. Think about what the COL was in the 80s and 90s and what it is today, yet they think they can pay the same wages?

Oh, get off Boomers backs. My husband at 66 is still working full time, lost his IT job due to offshoring a total of 3 years, and is making the same wages as he did in the 80s. Yeah, we have a big, fat 401K.

Milennials, hello? Unless wages are increased to 21st Century COL, you will never be even Middle Class. I firmly believe that is the plan. Two classes; Poor and Rich. The Rich (barrons) can control the Poor (serfs) far easier than they can the Middle Class.

Dear Milennials, it is not just YOU.
Dear Boomer,

Stop counting on Millenials to pay for your inflated standard of living. We know it's just as tough for us and we're looking at a mountain of debt you've left us and an insolvent welfare state. It's time to face the facts that it's likely there won't be ever increasing real wages going forward for future generations to pay back the debt we're incurring living inflated standards of living because you've chosen to demand from politicians. It isn't our fault you chose not to fund your 401k. Please stop kicking the can down the road.

Greed is two-way street. Americans enjoy the benefits of cheap goods produced in countries with lower wages tremendously. Yes, that hurts American workers but it also benefits American consumers. To be competitive in the modern economy in America means things must be capital, technology, and knowledge intensive. Take a look at manufacturing. Manufacturing in America is very healthy. Manufacturing jobs, not so much. There's few jobs because they're more capital intensive. Fewer workers producing more goods. Things like clothing largely are not made in this country because it's labor intensive. If you object to buying Nikes for $100, great. New Balance still makes sneakers here, they'll just run you double what they cost made abroad for the same thing. Good luck with pants. The last pair I bought made in America were awful.

Last edited by Malloric; 11-17-2014 at 05:23 PM..

Old 11-17-2014, 05:24 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,645,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Dear Boomer,

Stop counting on Millenials to pay for your inflated standard of living. We know it's just as tough for us and we're looking at a mountain of debt you've left us and an insolvent welfare state. It's time to face the facts that it's likely there won't be ever increasing real wages going forward for future generations to pay back the debt we're incurring living inflated standards of living because you've chosen to demand from politicians. It isn't our fault you chose not to fund your 401k. Please stop kicking the can down the road.
The real problem is, baby boomers haven't kicked enough cans.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:26 PM

21,893 posts, read 25,213,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The real problem is, baby boomers haven't kicked enough cans.
True. If they just died before bankrupting the welfare state it would help. Not the solution I would advocate for though.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:26 PM

30,904 posts, read 37,008,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
We ''Baby Boomers'' worked hard and paid into SS and Medicare and UI and that is OUR money that we are drawing on retirement and SS disability.
This is the attitude that p*sses me off about the Baby Boomers....Most will not admit that they are going to get WAY MORE in SS & Medicare than they or their employers ever put into the system. That is just the mathematical reality. The entitlement attitude isn't limited to the young, that's for sure.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:29 PM

492 posts, read 1,042,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If that person was forced out and just accepted the bad situation for twenty years, I think they probably were a dead wood worker who was allowed to stay too long at their previous high paying job. We were told back in the nineties to start viewing ourselves as independent contractors, even if we were long time employees.
I agree on viewing yourself that way. In IT, when you reach your 50s you're lucky to earn half of what you did in your 30s. It's a quickly changing and mentally taxing industry, so the youth are worth more. If you somehow managed to keep current with the latest trends, well the latest stuff is all they know, and their minds are sharper. Peak worth is in your 30s.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:32 PM

45,484 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This is the attitude that p*sses me off about the Baby Boomers....Most will not admit that they are going to get WAY MORE in SS & Medicare than they or their employers ever put into the system. That is just the mathematical reality. The entitlement attitude isn't limited to the young, that's for sure.
Actually that's not quite correct:

New retirees receiving less in Social Security than they paid in, marking historic shift | Fox News

Old 11-17-2014, 05:37 PM

492 posts, read 1,042,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Apples to apples my a**. I'd rather compare apples to oranges than live in a tent!
Most people would! They'll run the risk of wishing they could afford to live comfortably in a tent.

The way I see it, the gov't would need to borrow at least another $50 trillion at low interest to kick the can down the road for another 20 years. I'm not going to place my bets on that happening. Fortunately I'm not a millenial so I get to live in an RV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics