Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 09:44 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,590,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
There is a difference between overestimating and blatenly disregarding the scenarios. Even more so renters insurance is cheap, realitively speaking except for people who don't own anything such as yourself. You can build strawmen around other scenarios that simply don't apply here.
How is discussing hurricane risk a strawman when responding to a post that was discussing specifically hurricane risk and not total risk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 10:13 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
What engineering discipline are you focusing on that pays $80K entry level in a cheaper market such as Houston?

Old 12-16-2014, 10:16 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
What engineering discipline are you focusing on that pays $80K entry level in a cheaper market such as Houston?
I think he said he is an ME (mechanical engineer). It is easy for chemical and petroleum engineers fresh out of UT or A&M to earn above $80K in Houston right now.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
How much damage to residential structures was there after Alica?
Massive home damages throughout the city from wind, flooding, and fallen trees. I don't have a number for you.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Is the purpose of not over-estimating risk escaping YOU?

Not all of us care to put money every month towards something that has a 0.005% chance of happening in a given month.

I apologize if this seems irrational, but I live with probabilities, not possibilities. I mean we could just all stay in bed all day to avoid the .0001% chance of being murdered on the sidewalk at 9am, but to what end?
Most of the money spent on insurance is completely wasted. It is up to each individual to consider their tolerance for risk.

Regardless of what your father says, theft is a real risk in many parts of Houston. That is the first reason I'd buy renter's insurance in Houston. The threat of severe weather is real, if not probable. The OP will likely have some nice things considering his income level.

By your standard, unless you are a poor driver, you probably don't need any auto insurance either. How often have you had an accident?

Renters insurance is cheap. I'd have it based on what I know of the OP's expected lifestyle and place of residence. Maybe you wouldn't. Your choice.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Massive home damages throughout the city from wind, flooding, and fallen trees. I don't have a number for you.
Interesting. A friend of mine likes to chat about natural disasters, that's why I asked. I would never recommend my dad going without insurance - he has quite some amount of valuable stuff in that house.

Quote:
Most of the money spent on insurance is completely wasted. It is up to each individual to consider their tolerance for risk.

Regardless of what your father says, theft is a real risk in many parts of Houston. That is the first reason I'd buy renter's insurance in Houston. The threat of severe weather is real, if not probable. The OP will likely have some nice things considering his income level.

By your standard, unless you are a poor driver, you probably don't need any auto insurance either. How often have you had an accident?
The thing is, they aren't very comparable risks. In the event of something happening in one's living space, the probable risk is limited to the value of the stuff - in my case about $2500, in others it might be $20,000. This is especially true for those components of the risk that would only affect one house at a given time, such as theft or vandalism. To be fair, a hurricane would hit not only your house but also others, making it potentially more difficult to find temporary housing. Same with a nasty earthquake. Certainly a strong case exists for those in natural disaster zones to take that risk into consideration. Renter's policies don't always cover alternative accommodation for a long period of time, and for those in such areas one should definitely pay attention to that.

Quote:

Renters insurance is cheap. I'd have it based on what I know of the OP's expected lifestyle and place of residence. Maybe you wouldn't. Your choice.
I think anyone whose stuff is worth more than about 25% of liquid assets should probably have it, all else ordinary.

Last edited by ncole1; 12-16-2014 at 10:39 AM..

Old 12-16-2014, 10:44 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
I think he said he is an ME (mechanical engineer). It is easy for chemical and petroleum engineers fresh out of UT or A&M to earn above $80K in Houston right now.
I can see that with Chemical and Petroleum Engineering, but for other disciplines like Civil and Mechanical, $80K out of school is damn good.

I think we offer entry-level ME's at my company $60-65K out of school near Boston

I'm an ME

Old 12-16-2014, 11:23 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
How is discussing hurricane risk a strawman when responding to a post that was discussing specifically hurricane risk and not total risk?

Your strawman was your murder scenario

Old 12-16-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Your strawman was your murder scenario
Oh yeah, I was exaggerating for illustrative purposes.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:04 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Do we really need a multi-page discussion over an insurance policy that, in all likelihood, is going to cost the OP on the order of $10/month?

Also many nicer apartments won't even let you move in without providing proof of insurance, so it's a bit of a moot point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics