Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 11:40 AM

564 posts, read 1,880,078 times

Advertisements

the middle class is shrinking because Congress passed laws that made it profitable for companies to leave the United States and doesn't use it power of tariffs to keep US produced items competitively priced with foreign made ones.

Excessive taxation of the remaining middle class is also a problem. As more people become dependent upon the government (a situation which politicians LOVE) the more they need to bleed dry those who remain employed...........

The best route out of poverty is a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 04:49 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Where did you get that idea that the middle class is doing a lot better in "other western countries." Maybe Norway, where the country is rolling in oil money but certainly not Greece, Spain, Italy, France or Germany. For a huge part of the Eurozone unemployment is a very, very serious issue. Things are not so good for even the countries doing the best, France and Germany.

Certainly there are plenty of Americans who seem to feel entitled to an easy life. Others of us work hard just to get by and sometimes hopefully slowly advance our careers. One this forum there seems to be plenty of people who like to complain and blame the world for failing to meet their expectations. It is amazing how few people talk about their plans to advance or ask questions or look for advice on developing a career.
We tend to have more money then other countries....however theres a severe difference in lifestyles. Germans have 24K of disposable income at the median level for a family, while the US has 30K. BUT.....

The Germans have 20 days paid vacation,and 10 paid holidays. Last year half of all American workers took no time off.

we work an average of 1,788 hours a year...the Germans work 1,388. 400 hours difference in hours worked....10 weeks.

And dont even get me started on medical bills, opportunity, etc.

We're doing it wrong.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:33 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
We tend to have more money then other countries....however theres a severe difference in lifestyles. Germans have 24K of disposable income at the median level for a family, while the US has 30K. BUT.....

The Germans have 20 days paid vacation,and 10 paid holidays. Last year half of all American workers took no time off.

we work an average of 1,788 hours a year...the Germans work 1,388. 400 hours difference in hours worked....10 weeks.

And dont even get me started on medical bills, opportunity, etc.

We're doing it wrong.
We also have some of the most amazing innovations. These innovations have helped improve medicine, quality of life, etc. people just take it for granted. We aren't Germany and never will be. We are doing it not their way. Whether we are wrong or not is an entirely different issue.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:40 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
The really awesome thing is if you want to make less money, have more disposable income, and work fewer hours... it's really not that hard to do. Start with your house. The average house in Germany? About 70% percent of the size of the average house in America. Medical care we're pretty much screwed on. I mean, you can go on welfare now but your income has to be pretty low to qualify for welfare medical insurance.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
We also have some of the most amazing innovations. These innovations have helped improve medicine, quality of life, etc. people just take it for granted. We aren't Germany and never will be. We are doing it not their way. Whether we are wrong or not is an entirely different issue.
Hey great news for the Germans! They TOO have access to those innovations!

And...GASP...germans are also coming up with things!

So you are saying that thats why we are working harder then other countries....while becoming more and more unequal. UH huh. Wether we are doing it wrong or right is the entire point of this thread.....and you say "no no thats not the issue"

Yes it is.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The really awesome thing is if you want to make less money, have more disposable income, and work fewer hours... it's really not that hard to do. Start with your house. The average house in Germany? About 70% percent of the size of the average house in America. Medical care we're pretty much screwed on. I mean, you can go on welfare now but your income has to be pretty low to qualify for welfare medical insurance.
Average house size in austrailia is larger then the US. That kind of surprised me.

Anyways a lot of the reason for smaller homes in Germany deal with the war, and the following regulation. The majority of Germans rent as a result. This pushes down home size a lot. And we've started making larger homes...over 2K is the average!

That blows me away, I live in a 2K foot house, and its huge, we've discussed finding something smaller.

But then I realized something....we have a ton of people in trailers-ie mobile homes....Are those included? Noe...those arent houses.

I suspect that would drop our average house size a lot. 6.6% of us live in mobile homes.

Old 01-07-2015, 03:47 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post
the middle class is shrinking because Congress passed laws that made it profitable for companies to leave the United States and doesn't use it power of tariffs to keep US produced items competitively priced with foreign made ones.

Excessive taxation of the remaining middle class is also a problem. As more people become dependent upon the government (a situation which politicians LOVE) the more they need to bleed dry those who remain employed...........

The best route out of poverty is a job.
Best for whom?

And what kind of job are we talking? In some cases it doesn't actually work - if work-related expenses exceed wages, then a job doesn't get you out of poverty. Fortunately, such cases are only common when child care enters the picture.

And ideally, no one would have kids they can't afford.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:10 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

I rent a single room in a claustrphobic 8-person house. How do you propose I implement your solution?

Old 01-07-2015, 09:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
At the rate of unemployment in Europe and especially young people unemployment not anywhere near. China remember still has those defined as peasants.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:49 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
If that person can not pay enough to live on and other people have to pay for them then yeah it is.
Not quite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics