Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 11:28 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,293,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Do you know how much world wide destruction and death your generation brought to the world? Entire cities laid waste, millions upon millions dead. Effective members of society? The world was lucky there was any society left.
Holy, moley. Do you have any grasp at all on history?

If you believe the information that OP has provided (and I don't, but that's another story), he would have been about 12 years old at the end of WW2. Do you understand that most of the "millions and millions" were killed by Stalin and Hitler, and that the Japanese provoked the war in the Pacific by a devastating military attack on Hawaii and continued the war long after it became obvious to everyone that they had lost, thereby sacrificing their own people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
You're missing the point. Such aggression only required such a response because that was how that generation thought. They had an aggressive mentality. World war is what that generation had wrought. It's not how today's generation would of responded but that it would have never gotten that out of hand in the first place.

Well, let's see. Maybe in your view of history, the Japanese would have dropped flowers on Hawaii rather than bombs. Perhaps the German Nazis would have sent love letters to Poland instead of panzers, and shoveled rats into the gas chambers instead of Jewish people. If only Americans of a certain generation had not been such aggressive thinkers . . .

Old 01-05-2015, 11:50 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,781,908 times
The one thing this thread has proven is that there are very few people who bother to try to see things from the perspective of another generation and instead prefer to use generalizations based on what they think with the occasional anecdote tossed in to make things appear to be the way they want them to be.

Older generations screwed up the world and younger generations are so lazy that the world is going to fall apart. The story's been the same for decades. The only difference is which character you are in the sequel.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,735,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Hunter-gatherer past shows our fragile bones result from inactivity since invention of farming -- ScienceDaily

But you have to understand that according the article above, your grandfather would snap your bones like they were twigs and his grandfather would do the same to him and so on and so on, so maybe these elders have a point.

Compared to them, we're soft.

And no problem, I tried to read the posts of people who I think are intelligent and successful. The best posts in my opinion, at least a lot of the time, are Mircea's of course, but he's on whole other level of genius.

Other than that, I usually just resort to trolling until I disappear.
its a funny concept. i remember when i was a kid watching my grandpa getting knocked over by a tiny wave. although, we saw somewhere that you cant crush a raw egg in your hand and so we asked him to do it and he crushed it. either way, we are now innovating in stuff that isnt going to make us any physically stronger (except maybe new steroids) but across the board tons of innovations are expected. its pretty much assumed that as time goes on we are going to make amazing advances across the entire spectrum of human needs and wants. so i dont really think this complaining is very rational outside of just grumpy old people that want to complain about kids. the OP clearly wants to make himself feel better by putting down another group and i dont think he cares much about reality. i think he should just stick to enjoying his retirement and maybe offer some more positive encouragement rather than complaining like an old jewish guy trying to send soup back in a deli.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Older generations screwed up the world and younger generations are so lazy that the world is going to fall apart. The story's been the same for decades. The only difference is which character you are in the sequel.
Everyone reading this has been young, and -- with any luck -- will be old.

The idea that "the the story's been the same for decades" is wrong.

Some generations really are better than others, and in some instances a generation really has dropped the ball. Otherwise, history would show steady, monotonically non-decreasing progress.

So the disagreement here is whether the current young generation will be able to move things forward, or not, as they mature.

My opinion is that the current droopy-pants crowd doesn't hold much promise relative to earlier generations of the young. And yet I see individual exceptions every day -- young people who are responsible, talented, educated, and civic-minded (but I'd bet the farm that not many of these guys and gals spend their time posting here under cute user names . . .).

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 01-05-2015 at 01:51 PM..

Old 01-05-2015, 01:54 PM

325 posts, read 487,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
the current droopy-pants crowd
I loled.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:52 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,516,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gordon View Post
Their inner feelings of inferiority and their belief they won't live up to our goals or accomplishments?
IMO, nope. They're just stating the facts. WE, the Baby-Boomers, have f*cked up the environment that THEY will have to live in, and deal with. I don't blame them one teeny-tiny bit for being so ticked-off. But then, whadda I know? I'm just an old f*rt who thought he was 10 feet tall and bullet-proof.

-- Nighteyes (born 6/1946)

Old 01-05-2015, 07:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,735,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
IMO, nope. They're just stating the facts. WE, the Baby-Boomers, have f*cked up the environment that THEY will have to live in, and deal with. I don't blame them one teeny-tiny bit for being so ticked-off. But then, whadda I know? I'm just an old f*rt who thought he was 10 feet tall and bullet-proof.

-- Nighteyes (born 6/1946)
its always funny to me when individuals will take pride in their generation. i guess it has something to do with the fact that it now allows you to attack an entire generation of people without being required to know individual information about someone you are attacking.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Tolkienish Figure View Post
GI bill is a handout? Really?
It was a leg-up at best. Most New Deal programs were leg-ups compared to Great Society programs which turned into hand-outs for the most part.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:06 PM

17 posts, read 20,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gordon View Post
Their inner feelings of inferiority and their belief they won't live up to our goals or accomplishments?
-Dr Gordon PhD Clinical Psychology Class of 1963.
It is difficult to live up to "goals and accomplishments" when the deck for younger generations has already been stacked heavily against us. No real employment prospects out there and skyrocketing higher education costs. You might not be playing the same tune had you been playing with the same deck of cards as we are today. I doubt you were facing 30K tuition for one year of undergrad education, and then a 4-year degree that is equal to a high school education now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics