Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 08:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,041,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Baby Boomers grew up in a time when good jobs were easier to come by than herpes and a college education was both a luxury and a fraction of the cost. Now good jobs are rare, college is a necessity and it costs both arms and both legs.
"Good jobs" - oh, you mean those discriminatory jobs in unsafe working conditions.

By the way, I found out a few interesting things while perusing data:

While more people are attending college (more on that later), more people are taking longer to graduate with a four year degree. In the eighties, 54 percent of college students graduated within five years. Now only 49 percent graduate within five years. Meanwhile, student loans continue to pile up. The more years one takes to graduate, the more likely one is to have a higher loan balance upon graduation.

Graduation rates have not fallen or risen in a generation. About 40 percent of BBers graduated (albeit more quickly) and about 40 percent of Millennials graduate from college.
CHART: The U.S. Has Made No Progress On College Graduation Rates In 30 Years | ThinkProgress

However, college ENROLLMENT rates have risen significantly, from about 40 percent to about 70 percent.

To clarify, though college costs have gone up for Millennials, college for BBers was never at "a fraction of the cost" it is today - unless you're talking about big fractions, like 60 percent or more. Don't fool yourself into thinking that we were paying something like a quarter of what it costs today. And we had student loan programs then as well - at higher interest rates. In fact, student loan programs were very common for BBer students.
FinAid | Loans | Historical Interest Rates

From this interesting article:
Quote:
In the 1970s, family income levels increased faster than tuition; growth in student aid outstripped both tuition increases and growth in the number of eligible students; and grant aid was more common than borrowing.

All these trend lines, however, turned against college affordability in the 1980s and 1990s. Family income has generally remained flat and has been far outpaced by tuition increases, which at both public and private four-year institutions have averaged at least twice the rate of inflation since 1980.
https://www2.ed.gov/offices/OPE/PPI/.../gladieux.html

So you see - many of the current problems are not new problems. They've been problems since the 1980s - which is significant since so many BBers were trying to attend college and start their careers in the 1980s.

I'm not saying things are easier now than then - of course. But I'm just trying to put things in perspective and dispel some of the myths surrounding the "young adult years" of the Boomer generation.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:29 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,771,735 times
The solution is simple, the millennials en masse need to eliminate the Federal Reserve. Easy money created out of nothing fueled government expansion. New regulations forced more into college, causing tuitions to rise. Easy Fed money meant debt replaced income. It all stems from central banking, period. Even if they have to burn every Fed office to the ground the result would be positive.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:17 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,884,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The solution is simple...
The word "solution" implies there is a problem that needs to be solved. So far, no one has articulated a problem that needs solving.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:53 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,189,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
More delusional posting. The youngest BB grew up and hit adulthood in a horrible economic period.
My dad was part of the ass end of the Boomer generation and he's fallen ass-backward into jobs no matter what. He was kicked out of the Navy for selling drugs but had a job making $12.00 an hour(in 1980 or 1981) a week later, literally. He worked that job for 8 or 10 years but got fired for assaulting his boss 1 month after he served a 2 month jail sentence for repeatedly driving drunk. Less than a month later he had a new job that payed about 50% more iirc. He's had that job ever since despite being an unreliable and unlikable person who constantly(proudly) creates drama and conflict in the work place. He's part of the Boomer generation and they take care of each other. Anecdotal, to be sure, but all of his friends my entire life have been exactly like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The solution is simple, the millennials en masse need to eliminate the Federal Reserve. Easy money created out of nothing fueled government expansion. New regulations forced more into college, causing tuitions to rise. Easy Fed money meant debt replaced income. It all stems from central banking, period. Even if they have to burn every Fed office to the ground the result would be positive.
I'm not sure if you're trolling or just having a stroke. Do you smell toast?

Old 01-18-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
My dad was part of the ass end of the Boomer generation and he's fallen ass-backward into jobs no matter what. He was kicked out of the Navy for selling drugs but had a job making $12.00 an hour(in 1980 or 1981) a week later, literally. He worked that job for 8 or 10 years but got fired for assaulting his boss 1 month after he served a 2 month jail sentence for repeatedly driving drunk. Less than a month later he had a new job that payed about 50% more iirc. He's had that job ever since despite being an unreliable and unlikable person who constantly(proudly) creates drama and conflict in the work place. He's part of the Boomer generation and they take care of each other. Anecdotal, to be sure, but all of his friends my entire life have been exactly like him.
Hey - if BBers aren't "allowed" to cite anecdotal evidence on this thread, no one else can either.

I don't know what your dad's secret to "success" is (though frankly he doesn't sound all that successful to me), but I know that as a BBer, I've had to comply with my employers' standards when it comes to criminal record, background checks, credit score, etc just like every other applicant/employee.

Birds of a feather flock together, though - that's correct - which is why you apparently know so many people who are like your dad since apparently they've all been hanging around together and therefore you've been exposed to them as well. To be honest, I don't personally know ANYONE like your dad. I don't hang out with people like the ones you're describing, and I don't work at places that generally employ those types either. I've always had to pass a criminal background check/driving record check before hire and so have my coworkers, regardless of age. I've also had to have a certain credit score (above 650) in several places I've worked.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:07 AM

He's more successful than he has any right to be, quite honestly. He makes ~$85,000 a year now last I heard, and he lives in a mid-sized city in the Midwest so he's got a lot of money to his name.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
He's more successful than he has any right to be, quite honestly. He makes ~$85,000 a year now last I heard, and he lives in a mid-sized city in the Midwest so he's got a lot of money to his name.
Don't judge all BBers by your dad's behavior, attitudes, etc. though. There's a jerk born every minute.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Don't judge all BBers by your dad's behavior, attitudes, etc. though. There's a jerk born every minute.
Well, to be fair, the Baby Boomers are generally considered to be the most selfish generation and absolutely wrecked the American economy. I condemn the Boomers as a generation because they suck so hard, not just because my dad is a clown.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:32 AM

Let's talk about something that keeps being bandied about on this thread.

Let's talk about parents paying all or part of the cost for a college education for their kids.

Currently, parents pay ALL the cost of books, tuition and housing for fifty percent of students. For half of those students (one quarter of ALL students, in other words) parents also paid for other living expenses.

Only one third of college students are not being supported by their parents financially. In fact, student income only pays for NINE PERCENT of college costs today. If the average cost per year is $24,000 (a figure that's been mentioned on this thread often - sorry, not going to look it up again) that's only about $2100 that students are kicking in for their college. That's not very much skin in the game. Heck, I paid more than that for my own college expenses thirty years ago - and that's NOT factoring in inflation!
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-college/?_r=0

College prices did rise significantly in the 1980s (when many Boomers were attending college) and the 1990s but has actually remained pretty stable in the 2000s.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/25/ed...tudy-says.html

One final point - it's not always the millennial student who takes out the student loan - it's often the parents (ie, the Baby Boomers) who take that debt on.
Boomers haunted by college debt - Business - The Boston Globe

Old 01-18-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Well, to be fair, the Baby Boomers are generally considered to be the most selfish generation and absolutely wrecked the American economy. I condemn the Boomers as a generation because they suck so hard, not just because my dad is a clown.
Don't drink the Kool Aid. I for one don't appreciate being lumped into ANY category with someone like your dad.

Your generalizations are just as lacking in moral fiber (and common sense) as those of BBers who categorize all Millennials as entitled, lazy, spoiled brats just because they may know some who are like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics