Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 09:34 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
What is your suggestion for the student who doesn't have parents who are able (or willing) to spend that kind of money putting their children through college?

Because currently, those are the kids who are preyed upon by for-profit diploma mills.
Moving the goal posts yet again. Please wipe your ears.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:34 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,078,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
kinda hard to do when most boomers in the thread are calling all millennials lazy and entitled between their naps and bridge games. it's nice to see that my social security money is being put to good use.

"Naps and bridge games"? I won't call you lazy, but I will say you are making delusional comments.
You do realize that the youngest of us are just 50, right? Still working, paying taxes, SS, Medicare, and contributing to every other socially engineered idea that will be shoved down our throats to "help" the millennials get everything they deserve?

Old 01-21-2015, 10:06 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
What is your suggestion for the student who doesn't have parents who are able (or willing) to spend that kind of money putting their children through college?

Because currently, those are the kids who are preyed upon by for-profit diploma mills.
Same as my advice is on most things financial. Live within your means.

Don't take out more debt than you can reasonably expect to pay back within the timeframe you are willing to be indebted and determine how long that will be based on what you can expect to earn from the diploma you pay for.

It may take you longer, it may be harder; but, if you sign up for 6 figure debt without a clearly thought out plan of how you will be paying it back, imo you are not smart enough to benefit from college.

Most kids who aren't going to have parental help know that way before college. They should be planning early to try for scholarships and work as soon as they can get a job to save money.

Practical advice for anyone who has to do that? Skip the Quick-E mart and do some kind of personal service job that pays more. The woman who cleans my house makes $50 an hour.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:14 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
"Naps and bridge games"? I won't call you lazy, but I will say you are making delusional comments.
You do realize that the youngest of us are just 50, right? Still working, paying taxes, SS, Medicare, and contributing to every other socially engineered idea that will be shoved down our throats to "help" the millennials get everything they deserve?
you're making the same exact argument I made earlier in the thread, or one of the other hundreds of millennial bashing threads. you probably got the same idea from me, but i'll repeat it because I know you boomers have a fading attention span. the youngest millennials are 10 years old. y'all wanna generalize our generation? well I can do the same thing. hows it feel?

I assure you, I don't need your help on anything. and what, you cant take naps and play bridge at 50 years old?

Old 01-21-2015, 10:17 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Same as my advice is on most things financial. Live within your means.
So basically what you're saying is, "We got ours on the cheap. And you kids can go pound sand."

All the money our government wastes, and we cannot find the funds to refinance student debt. Our priorities are hopelessly broken.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Who said anything about parents spending that money?

After 31 years in the classroom teaching thousands of kids, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of my students who went to a "diploma mill" if you're talking college. Unless you count the University of MD, College Park.

If you're talking trade schools like Lincoln Tech, that's a different story.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:41 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,078,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
you're making the same exact argument I made earlier in the thread, or one of the other hundreds of millennial bashing threads. you probably got the same idea from me, but i'll repeat it because I know you boomers have a fading attention span. the youngest millennials are 10 years old. y'all wanna generalize our generation? well I can do the same thing. hows it feel?

I assure you, I don't need your help on anything. and what, you cant take naps and play bridge at 50 years old?
I cannot discuss or debate with anyone using "y'all" in a public forum. Trying to read your posts with the grammar and sentence structure issues gives me a headache. I trust you have not yet completed your education because an English Comp I class would not be a waste of time or money.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:42 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
So basically what you're saying is, "We got ours on the cheap. And you kids can go pound sand."

All the money our government wastes, and we cannot find the funds to refinance student debt. Our priorities are hopelessly broken.
Nope that's not what I am saying. Most kids are doing what I said as evidenced by the average student loan debt.

I have no sympathy for those who overextended themselves, just like I have no sympathy for people who bought houses that weren't worth what they paid for them and then lost them because they couldn't afford them.

Its not my job to bail them out....either personally or as a taxpayer.

The average student loan debt is easily paid off with an average job.

Plus I don't buy into your myth that Boomers had it easy or cheap.

So, to repeat, what I said was live within your means while working hard, smart and creatively to improve them. That's always been the path to success and always will be imo.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:48 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

Plus I don't buy into your myth that Boomers had it easy or cheap.
Myth? How many tuition figures for various years that aren't 2015 do I need to roll out before it sinks in that not long ago, any student could pay for any public four-year university degree easily? I have even shown that the older Boomers could pay for an Ivy League education by waiting tables.

And this was during a time when a graduating high school student could get by in life with just a high school diploma.

We have raised both the educational bar and the price of admission. And we're suggesting that Millennials deal with it in the most indignant way possible. Hence, "Old Economy Steve."

Old 01-21-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Myth? How many tuition figures for various years that aren't 2015 do I need to roll out before it sinks in that not long ago, any student could pay for any public four-year university degree easily? I have even shown that the older Boomers could pay for an Ivy League education by waiting tables.

And this was during a time when a graduating high school student could get by in life with just a high school diploma.

We have raised both the educational bar and the price of admission. And we're suggesting that Millennials deal with it in the most indignant way possible. Hence, "Old Economy Steve."
No you haven't. You set up a bunch of "what ifs" that, in your mind, "prove" it. Like working 60 hours a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics