Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 02:18 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,217,806 times

Advertisements

It is interesting that many conservatives, or at least fiscally conservative people who live in suburbs, do not ***** much about their taxes. Most I have met love the suburban city the live in, and enjoy the roads, parks, trails and spacious areas their tax dollars create.

It is worth looking into the factors that make them fiscally conservative, in addition to just disliking tax. In suburbs, you see that your tax is used for you, where it deserves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 02:40 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
It is interesting that many conservatives, or at least fiscally conservative people who live in suburbs, do not ***** much about their taxes. Most I have met love the suburban city the live in, and enjoy the roads, parks, trails and spacious areas their tax dollars create.

It is worth looking into the factors that make them fiscally conservative, in addition to just disliking tax. In suburbs, you see that your tax is used for you, where it deserves.
By that argument, the conservatives that live in Washington DC should accept higher federal taxes.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:02 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,258,614 times
Quote:
It is interesting that many conservatives, or at least fiscally conservative people who live in suburbs, do not ***** much about their taxes.
Objection! Assuming facts not in evidence.

Are we talking about the same people that want schools, police, fire, museums, et al. to be fee for service so tax dollars aren't used to fund them? Are we also talking about the people that don't think they should pay for public education despite a constitutional requirement to do so?

Old 01-20-2015, 04:27 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
I think it is easier to see what your tax benefits fund locally than federally and you often or at least locally we do vote on new bonds/increases

Old 01-20-2015, 04:58 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,781 times
I think we can all agree that it's easier to see the benefits of taxes (or anything) that are within immediate view, but whether we should base our public policy on that phenomenon is a bit unclear.

"I can't see Russia from my house" = disband the military?

Old 01-20-2015, 05:36 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,217,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I think we can all agree that it's easier to see the benefits of taxes (or anything) that are within immediate view, but whether we should base our public policy on that phenomenon is a bit unclear.

"I can't see Russia from my house" = disband the military?
I don't think that explains why surburbanites would complain about taxes in cities.

I think it's easier if your community is mostly people of the same or higher socioeconomic class, all at or above middle. This way, people suspect much less. Less of a perception that some people are taking advantage.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:58 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,258,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
I don't think that explains why surburbanites would complain about taxes in cities.

I think it's easier if your community is mostly people of the same or higher socioeconomic class, all at or above middle. This way, people suspect much less. Less of a perception that some people are taking advantage.
What people are we talking about exactly and taking advantage of what? The library system? Parks? Zoos? The suburbs of Chicago have higher property taxes than Chicago does because Chicago has a broader tax base, but I don't anything exists to take advantage of in the burbs or the city.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:26 PM

580 posts, read 777,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Objection! Assuming facts not in evidence.

Are we talking about the same people that want schools, police, fire, museums, et al. to be fee for service so tax dollars aren't used to fund them? Are we also talking about the people that don't think they should pay for public education despite a constitutional requirement to do so?
Am very fiscally conservative. Live in Howard County, MD (top10 richest counties per census, top10 places to live per Money magazine).

Don't begrudge my county income tax (3.3%) and relatively high property tax (1.5% ish of assessed value) due to the plethora of parks and excellent schools provided. The last county commissioner failed as part of the Dem gubernatorial bid by losing the county, partly in reaction to some of his more populist (income distribution) plans. Repub in charge now

Old 01-20-2015, 07:45 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Clearly you've never discussed taxes with some of my neighbors. Just sayin'.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
My property tax is was $5,500 last year, and the 2015 bill has not come yet but based on the latest valuation notice from the assessor it's likely to go up another $1,000. Having top rated schools, no crime, safe streets and many nice parks and trails make it well worth it. Sure, I cringe when I see how much it has gone up but at the same time my equity is also going up so I'll be clearing more when we sell. It's far more tolerable to see some benefits from my tax dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics