Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 08:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
^^

The portion of my bill that bothers me is the 70% that goes to the school districts and how people tend to say yes to them on increases for the "sake of the children."

Not because I'm anti-public education.

Not because I'm anti-paying for societies children to get an education.

But rather because of the rampant waste. They've become too bureaucratic. There's really no accountability for public school spending anywhere I've lived. It typical has nothing to do with the cost of actual educators.
Before leaving California I sat on a school board citizen's committee to help make budget cuts when they had severe problems (late 1980s). We were moderated by the "assistant Superintendent for Curriculum." Despite his presence there at our meetings, we were unable to justify his salary and therefore recommended that his position be eliminated. They disregarded our recommendation. Good schools help everyone in a city/town, besides increased property values there is reduced crime, and young people are better prepared to make it as adults. Unfortunately you are right, there is far too much spent on top-heavy administration and not enough in the classroom. Our top notch schools depend on donations from parents, mostly from PTSA fund raisers, typically netting as much as $20,000 for individual schools just from a "pass the hat" event, that supplement the meager state funding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 09:01 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Fiscal conservative here. Live outside the city of Austin. Pay over $10K per year in property taxes. I don't like writing that check every year, but it makes a huge difference that the money is spent near me, and controlled by locally elected officials. My local K-12 schools are excellent - and my kids all were educated by them.

The less money is spent far away - the better. Yes we need national defense and other functions. Not opposed in principle to many of those things. But the less money Congress has to work with (waste!) the better.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:08 AM

787 posts, read 780,885 times
My assessed value went up by $11,400 but the tax rate went down by $0.70 per $1,000 assessed.

In 2014, $3,078.68.
In 2015, $3,178.89.

$100.21 more per year. I live in a town with a great school system (even though I have no kids) so even though I pay high taxes the good schools helps my property value.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:26 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Fiscal conservative here. Live outside the city of Austin. Pay over $10K per year in property taxes. I don't like writing that check every year, but it makes a huge difference that the money is spent near me, and controlled by locally elected officials. My local K-12 schools are excellent - and my kids all were educated by them.

The less money is spent far away - the better. Yes we need national defense and other functions. Not opposed in principle to many of those things. But the less money Congress has to work with (waste!) the better.
I guess that's why national defense is the biggest waste of money in the federal budget (probably wastes 100x as much as all other state local and federal government combined). For some reason when it comes to blowing things up, nobody minds getting pennies on the tax dollar.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:31 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
I live in a township with VERY low taxes......in a county that also has low taxes.

Out township does not have police or, a fire department.

There is very little crime.

Mostly someone killing a deer out of season.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:52 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I guess that's why national defense is the biggest waste of money in the federal budget (probably wastes 100x as much as all other state local and federal government combined). For some reason when it comes to blowing things up, nobody minds getting pennies on the tax dollar.
Everything Federal is blown up and wasteful. It is a consequence of scale.

I believe in a strong national defense. But that doesn't mean they need as much money as they spend.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:09 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Everything Federal is blown up and wasteful. It is a consequence of scale.

I believe in a strong national defense. But that doesn't mean they need as much money as they spend.
Reduce overseas military bases in selected areas (Cold War era leftovers, etc). Spend it at home instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics